dponds

Travelling with green card/AOS & Maiden name

3 posts in this topic

my wife is going to be travelling back to her country (Russia) to visit parents. she is worried about problems with her foreign passport, her new married name, and her maiden name.

from a forum she reads, they say to use her russian passport to go into russia and then green card (or AOS) to get into USA. they also say to buy the plane tickets in her maiden name, so she has no problem getting into and leaving Russia.

here are our questions:

1) will she need a marriage certificate to prove change of name when leaving Russia--they will ask why she is leaving and she will say to go to her husband, so she uses this document to prove she is married. Does she need to have it translated into English?

2) what name to write in a declaration on the wasy back to US? ie. that paper you fill out before customs.

3) how to explain to customs why tickets are in maiden name? will it make a difference?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

When you buy the airline tickets the name has to be the same as the passport.

She will need to take her marriage certificate with her as Immigration may want to see it. I am not sure about the translation of it, it might be a good idea.

On the declaration I used my married name.

Hope this helps you a little bit.

Jo & Michael

K1

29th Jun 03 - Applied for I-129f

12th Jan 05 - Interview at Embassy

AOS

20th Apr 05 - Mailed AOS and paperwork to Chicago.

27th Oct 05 - Received Green Card in Mail (2 yr Conditional)

I-751

24th Jul 07 - Mailed I-751 to TSC

27th Jul 07 - I-751 Received at TSC (Transferred to CSC)

17th Aug 07 - Check Cleared

20th Aug 07 - NOA received (2 NOA's both with dif. receipt #'s for the same thing hmmm..)

30th Aug 07 - ACS Biometrics letters received

21st Sep 07 - Biometrics appointment at Charlotte

1st Nov 07 - Case status online reads "Card production ordered"

3rd Nov 07 - Greencard received in mail

my wife is going to be travelling back to her country (Russia) to visit parents. she is worried about problems with her foreign passport, her new married name, and her maiden name.

from a forum she reads, they say to use her russian passport to go into russia and then green card (or AOS) to get into USA. they also say to buy the plane tickets in her maiden name, so she has no problem getting into and leaving Russia.

here are our questions:

1) will she need a marriage certificate to prove change of name when leaving Russia--they will ask why she is leaving and she will say to go to her husband, so she uses this document to prove she is married. Does she need to have it translated into English?

2) what name to write in a declaration on the wasy back to US? ie. that paper you fill out before customs.

3) how to explain to customs why tickets are in maiden name? will it make a difference?

my wife travelled the same way your wife is planning to..

1) no.. her passport will get her on the plane in Russia

2) my wife put her married name

3) my wife didn't have a problem at customs

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.