Welshcookie

What to you do......

62 posts in this topic

After pondering on this last night I decided to get him involved. In the past when he wasn't doing his homework a 'contract' we drew up and he signed seemed to work wonders. So the contract I think will be he must have one piece of fruit and one vegetable each day during the week, no soda except at weekends. I am not sure whether to let him have the choice of fruit and veg yet :lol:

Also, I realized that he never ever shops with me, so I am planning a food shopping trip with him in tow thinking he may actually see more food that takes his fancy.

I'm glad I made this thread, I thought hard about doing it....but you have spurred me on to addressing the issue and given me plenty of ideas....Thanks! :thumbs:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Recently my wife and I house/baby sat 4 kids for a month. My wife would have to cook a different food for each kid at each meal. Grrrrrr. I put up with it for the month but if they were my kids I would let them go hungry until they all ate the same thing.

:lol:

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
After pondering on this last night I decided to get him involved. In the past when he wasn't doing his homework a 'contract' we drew up and he signed seemed to work wonders. So the contract I think will be he must have one piece of fruit and one vegetable each day during the week, no soda except at weekends. I am not sure whether to let him have the choice of fruit and veg yet :lol:

Also, I realized that he never ever shops with me, so I am planning a food shopping trip with him in tow thinking he may actually see more food that takes his fancy.

I'm glad I made this thread, I thought hard about doing it....but you have spurred me on to addressing the issue and given me plenty of ideas....Thanks! :thumbs:

I've run into the same problem with my two teenagers, but to a lesser degree. I have to admit that even as an adult, I'm not that keen about the taste of many vegetables, BUT ... I know there are delicious ways to make vegetables taste better - like melted cheddar on broccoli - what kid doesn't love that? :star: My mom would make a lot of casserole dishes and that was one way she got us to eat our veggies. I'd recommend drastically reducing anything in his diet that has refined sugar. As for a substitute, have you tried Super Stevia? Trader Joe's sells it in powder form. It's a natural herb that is something like 30 times sweeter than sugar but is non-glycemic. The trick is you have to mix it into whatever he's eating or drinking. I buy my kids Honey Nut Cheerios as a compromise. In any case I think that refined sugar effects our overall taste for food...that stuff is like crack and it's in EVERYTHING.

Edited by Steven_and_Jinky

Filed: Timeline

My mother just let us go to bed hungry if we refused to eat what she had prepared, but she also avoided certain dishes that she knew ahead of time we would refuse to eat. She didn't even try to make us eat meat loaf, liver, mushrooms, etc. We both turned out OK. :thumbs:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Other Timeline

If it hadn't been for baloney, apple sause, american cheese slices and those little bags of cut carrots, my son would have perished.

That being said, the real pickiness didn't last till the age of 10. I think you might have to do what hubby says........

Edited by rebeccajo

Oh my 10 year old is the same :huh: .........but he's healthy, my 23 year old was the same too at that age, he would NEVER eat veggies, then once he reached about 16 he couldnt get enough veggies, infact he told me recently that he LOVES veggies and could just eat those with no meat!!! :huh:

Kids are such a funny breed :P

Amanda-England (Yorkshire)- Mark-USA(Michigan)

April/04/2005- Visa journey began!!

We did both K3 & CR1 visa's, got both!!- I returned to England for my CR1 interview after first arriving on a K3 visa!!

May/25th 2006- Green card arrives in the mail................YAY!!

19th June 2006 I Had to go to the Social Security Office to get my number, the DS-230 didnt work for me!!

26-June-2006- Social Security# arrived in the mail....YAY!!

Feb 2008 lift conditions <<<reminder to self!!<<<< went to England for a visit instead, no rush right, 90 days is a long time,LOL

Removing Conditions Begins

Mailed I-751 April 12th 2008

signed for @ NSC April 16th

NOA date April 16th

Conditional GC expired May 5th 2008

Biometrics Detroit May 10th 2008

10 year Green card ordered August 20th 2008

Citizenship any time from feb 2009

Filed: Other Timeline
I've run into the same problem with my two teenagers, but to a lesser degree. I have to admit that even as an adult, I'm not that keen about the taste of many vegetables, BUT ... I know there are delicious ways to make vegetables taste better - like melted cheddar on broccoli - what kid doesn't love that? :star: My mom would make a lot of casserole dishes and that was one way she got us to eat our veggies. I'd recommend drastically reducing anything in his diet that has refined sugar. As for a substitute, have you tried Super Stevia? Trader Joe's sells it in powder form. It's a natural herb that is something like 30 times sweeter than sugar but is non-glycemic. The trick is you have to mix it into whatever he's eating or drinking. I buy my kids Honey Nut Cheerios as a compromise. In any case I think that refined sugar effects our overall taste for food...that stuff is like crack and it's in EVERYTHING.

its not just refined sugar, but check the lables for high fructose corn syrup. That ####### is definitely not good for anybody, child or adult! And its in *everything*. Including, I believe, Honey Nut Cheerios.

Kellog's has a line of organics now, but I'm not sure which ones a kid would like. Certainly Rice Krispies, and maybe the frosted mini-wheats. Both of which btw, the "regular" ones contain hfcs. The organics are really good too. More flavour, probably because there's not all that over processed ####### in it to kill the tastebuds. They cost a bit more, but they're worth the price.

You have to hunt for stuff that's actually good for you these days. Its even in salad dressings fer crimeny!

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

its not just refined sugar, but check the lables for high fructose corn syrup. That ####### is definitely not good for anybody, child or adult! And its in *everything*. Including, I believe, Honey Nut Cheerios.

So true, that's one thing I'm not looking forward to when we return to the US. High fructose corn syrup IS in everything, and it tastes like ######. You don't get it so much over here. It's horrible, horrible stuff. You might as well just pray to god for diabetes if you're going to eat that #######. (It's pretty much the same thing.)

Really the only way to avoid all that sugar and corn syrup is to avoid all processed foods. Easier said than done, I know. We're trying and it's very hard. :crying:

WHERE DID YOU GET MY PICTURE?

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

(Just kidding.) B)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
OMG Welshie...your avatar :)

my eyes my eyes i'm blind :crying:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

My 4 year old NEVER wants to eat, only chocolate etc.

So i give her little meals during the day, maybe a bowl of grapes, some cheese etc.

K1

September 15 - 2005: NOA1

October: Waiting

November: Waiting

December: In Security checks

January 2006: Waiting

February: Waiting..Contacted Congress

March 4th: APPROVED

March 17th: NVC posted file to London

March 20th: London Receives file

March 29th: Receive package 3

April 13th: London Receives package

April 19th: Medical - June 13th: INTERVIEW......APPROVED!!!!

June 20th: ARRIVE IN USA

Time taken for whole process 9 Months

~~~~~ * ~~~~~

AOS

October: 13th: Sent off AOS Package

November 3rd: NOA1

November 14th: Snail mail ~ NOA1 ~ Case moved to the CSC for faster processing.

November 14th : CSC has petition for me and my daughter.

December 14th: Biometrics completed.

January 17th: APPROVED AOS!

January 22nd: Green card arrives in the mail:))

Time taken for AOS - 3.5 Months

Finished for 2 years.

dev015pb___.png

(Just kidding.) B)

Did you have to blow it up? ROTFL!!!! :lol::lol: poor Charles and Caroline :P

(Just kidding.) B)

When I grabbed the URL from the picture's properties, that's the size it was. :lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

(Just kidding.) B)

When I grabbed the URL from the picture's properties, that's the size it was. :lol:

well it was "large" to begin with :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

No kids, but grew up in a family with four kids, and there was no talk about having mom cook different meals. None of us were ever picky eaters, really, but if we were, my mom enforced the 'one bite' rule. Don't like the broccoli? Eat a bite.

We didn't have a lot of sweets & chips at home, and I think that helped. First, we didn't fill up on junk food. Second, some studies lately have shown that your palate adapts to what you eat. If all you eat is junk food & processed stuff, you'll like it more.

Which is part of why sugar substitutes don't always work in a weight-loss plan; the body craves more sweet things.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07