honeyblonde

Henna Recipe?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I don't have an exact recipe but this is what I do...

Mix the powder with lemon juice and/or white vinegar. It should be a thick paste so don't use too much lemon (fresh). Let it sit overnight or several hours. I make tea with lots of cloves and let it cool. I use the tea to thin out the henna. It should be the consistency of thin yogurt. There is also oils you can add to make the henna last longer but I'm not sure what it's called. I have one from Yemen that stinks!

Moroccan henna is THE best IMO. It gives a lovely brownish red color. I got henna done in Egypt and it was jet black. It looked so cool! It also looked like someone wrote on me with a Sharpie.

359kemb.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Mix the powder with lemon juice and/or white vinegar. It should be a thick paste so don't use too much lemon (fresh). Let it sit overnight or several hours. I make tea with lots of cloves and let it cool. I use the tea to thin out the henna. It should be the consistency of thin yogurt. There is also oils you can add to make the henna last longer but I'm not sure what it's called. I have one from Yemen that stinks!

Moroccan henna is THE best IMO. It gives a lovely brownish red color. I got henna done in Egypt and it was jet black. It looked so cool! It also looked like someone wrote on me with a Sharpie.

359kemb.jpg

is that you?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

359kemb.jpg

That's nice henna Kara! Did you pick the design? Might I add I have never seen a pic of you in hijab (if that's you) and you look like a teenager! No kidding! You look so young! But very purdy!

Edited by Mrs. Forgetful

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

08/16/06- I-130 and EAD sent with AOS packet

08/24/06- I-130, EAD, I-485 recieved

08/28/06- NOA1 for I-130, EAD, and I-485

09/01/06- Recieved boimetrics appointment letter

09/07/06- Biometrics appointment

10/24/06- Recieved letter for initial interview

11/21/06- EAD approved

11/27/06- EAD Recieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/30/06- Touched- NOA for EAD sent

12/01/06- I-130 and I-485 Touched

12/20/06- Initial interview

12/20/06- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (4 months!)

12/27/06- Recieved NOA2 for I-130

12/27/06- Recieved welcome letter

12/27/06- I-485 touched, New card ordered

01/03/06- PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!

09/18/08- Sent I-751... hopefully I did it corectly!

09/something... recieved NOA1 for I-751

10/16/08- Recieved biometrics appointment letter

10/25/08- Biometrics appontment!

03/19/09- Recieved letter stating I-751 transfered to CSC

03/30/09- I-751 approved!

04/02/09- Recieved approval letter

04/30/09- Recieved new card

10/14/09- Sent N-400... the wait begins again.....

10/24/09- Recieved NOA receipt letter

02/05/10- Recieved Fingerprint notification

02/23/10- Fingerprinting appointment

04/07/10- N-400 Interview

10/07/10- Request for aditional evidencce

02/07/11- Oath Ceremony letter arrives!!!!!!!!!!

02/18/11- Oath Ceremony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes..that be me. I look innocent don't I?

359kemb.jpg

is that you?

Awww thank you, Janine :luv: Enti 3asal wallahi!

That's nice henna Kara! Did you pick the design? Might I add I have never seen a pic of you in hijab (if that's you) and you look like a teenager! No kidding! You look so young! But very purdy!

Timeline
Yes..that be me. I look innocent don't I?

You do look very innocent :innocent: but I know the truth! ;)

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

11/21/06- EAD approved

Timeline

You were considered over dressed?! wow! That must have been a really casual wedding.

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

11/21/06- EAD approved

Thanks ladies! I don't have time to let it sit overnight since she just called me today and I'm doing it for her tonight. Thank goodness she just needs something simple to say she got henna'd since this will be my first time to do it and I'm not sure how good I'll be yet. I'm a pretty good artist though, so hopefully it will be presentable. I wish I could make it look as good as what's in your picture Moody, that is gorgeous! I prefer the black henna over the red, but that's because I'm so ghost white. I'm sure on darker skin the red looks lovely.

Thank you :)

The Moroccan henna would look beautiful on you. I have very fair skin and it looks so nice. It gets darker the next day.

A little tip to speed up the process...heat your oven to like 170 F put the henna in and check on it now and then. Once the henna starts to change from green to brown then it's ready. If you're gonna do it this way put the henna in an oven safe glass bowl.

I wanted to add..if you don't let it process the color won't take.

do also watch out for *black henna*. Some of the products sold as black henna are hazardous. Make sure that the powder is greenish and turns slightly blue once water is added. If the powder is dark brown or black, it may have some nasty chemicals in it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

guess my reply is probably a little late, but here it is anyway- I learned 2 different "recipes":

1st I learned from some Indian women in Cali and they mixed henna w/ black tea/coffee, cloves, a few drops of eucalyptus oil mixed into a paste. After applied, dab a mixture of lemon juice & sugar a few times and let set as long as possible. *scrape the paste off, not washed w/ soap & water til later.

2nd in Maroc, the lady who did my engagement henna mixed the henna only w/ water and then dabbed the lemon juice and sugar mixture also. I slept w/ that on and scraped off the next morning, then gently washed, not scrubbed the area.

*Everytime I've had henna done it darkens over the next 2 days. Personally, I've had both the black & the reddish/orangish/brown henna and I just prefer the latter... it usually turns such a nice color and I'm pale also. The black totally looked like a sharpie! :P I just got a fresh supply of henna this week from Maroc - my sweetie sent me a care pkg! The fresher the henna, the longer it will last on the skin and the darker it will get.

Good luck!

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Well I didn't get back here to get all the tips, but it worked out anyway.

I had my husband prepare a cup of strong tea with cloves in it for me before I got home. When I got home we mixed some henna powder with lemon juice and some of the tea and let that sit while I went to class.

I put the henna on about 2 hours later and it came out good. I did my friends ankle and leg, and her hand and wrist. I also did my leg and hand. I know I forgot some of the steps like keeping tea on it as long as possible because we both had work today and couldn't wait all night or anything. We put gauze and cotton over it and put cotton gloves on our hands and legwarmers (left over from my 80s flashdance days!) on our legs. The henna came out really dark on both of us (well dark for orange henna) and I was surprised how good I did. It was my first try at this. I had forgotten that I used to decorate cakes though so that helped I'm sure.

Next time I want to have a pattern in front of me though, this time I did it all from my head and while it came out nice, it isn't as nice as I would want it - except her ankle and leg. The design I did there turned out quite nice. I'll post pics if I can get them.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.