Sign in to follow this  
Kweli

What can he do?

9 posts in this topic

A friend of mine just left the USA and forgot his Green Card. What can he do in order to reenter the USA?

Can the GC just be mailed to him? I must confess that I find it hard to believe. Can you leave the USA without showing your GC?

Anyway, he's gone for two weeks. Can his brother mail the GC to him?

I would think that you could leave the US without your GC because you only need it to enter the US not leave the US ...

I would also think that you would present your passport from your home country when entering any other country other than the US ...

I am not sure how someone could forget their greencard as I would be the type to check, double check and then triple check that I had it on me ... But my wife does say I have OCD :)

I would be worried about mailing a greencard within the US let alone to a different country and I am not sure what would happen if you arrived at US immigration without your GC ... I am sure someone with more experience would be able to answer that question ...

A friend of mine just left the USA and forgot his Green Card. What can he do in order to reenter the USA?

Can the GC just be mailed to him? I must confess that I find it hard to believe. Can you leave the USA without showing your GC?

Um, have you ever seen any exit-control officials at US airports (as you do in India and some other countries)?

The GC could be couriered (I wouldn't use regular mail, for obvious reasons), but it is still risky.

There are only two people who check your passport when you leave the USA - the airline agent at the counter (generally to make sure you have a return ticket if you are not a citizen of the destination country), and the TSA agent, to make sure your name matches your ticket. They're not looking for whether you are allowed to return to the USA, because basically, that's not their job to decide.

If he's got his passport stamped, then he can reenter. Otherwise, he's going to need his GC. Safest way is to use private courier, at worst, use FedEx.

Some airlines will not even board passengers without valid visas for US.

I am not quite sure that POE officer will let a person enter on his/her verbal claim of legal permanent residency.

Options:

1. Make a photocopy of I551 and have original courried. I would use local hub, not residental address.

2. Go to local US consulate and try talking to consular officer. I am not sure what that will accomplish. Having a copy of I551 would really help at that point.

Some airlines will not even board passengers without valid visas for US.

I am not quite sure that POE officer will let a person enter on his/her verbal claim of legal permanent residency.

Options:

1. Make a photocopy of I551 and have original courried. I would use local hub, not residental address.

2. Go to local US consulate and try talking to consular officer. I am not sure what that will accomplish. Having a copy of I551 would really help at that point.

I got your point Nemu. What I can't get is how on earth he could have left the USA without being inspected by immigration? Or maybe am I wrong? Do they inspect you when you leave?

Now when he will receive his GC by mail, will he face any problem upon on reentry because he left without it?

There is no immigration inspection upon leaving the US. There is only immigration inspection upon entering - or trying to enter - the US. If he is able to obtain his Green Card and able to present it upon re-entry to the US, he will have no problems because he left without it. The Green Card is required for proof of his right to enter the US as a permanent resident. He does need to check with the airline he plans to use. If he plans to return to the US without the green card hoping that US immigration at the border can verify his right, the airlines may still not allow him to board the plane for the flight to the US if he has no proof that they will allow him to enter. Airlines are fined for transporting individuals who lack the necessary documents to enter the US and are turned away after a flight to the US so they try to minimize their loss by refusing such individuals when they try to board for their flights.

They don't have to take his word for it. They can check their system and it will show the residence.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.