kath1958

MY FIRST SCARY EXPERIENCE IN HOUSTON

16 posts in this topic

Hi ,

Yesterday i went to the dentist and had two teeth abstracted. The pain afterwards was unbearable. That is not the scary bit. I was walking home afterwards not to far only takes 10 minutes. There where these two men walking just in front of me. I thought nothing of it. I was going to cross the road into the area where our complex is where we live i noticed one crossed over about 50 yards in front of me . The other one stayed in the middle of the inter section was watching me. There was another man in a pick - up on the corner. Now i,m getting scared as i kept thinking this is a set up. Something is going to happen to me. So i thougght quickly back tracked myself to the Shopping area. I have never been so scared in my life. You have to watch what is going on around you all the time. I"ll never walk alone again.

I thought i give you my first scary experience.

Kath

Filed: Timeline
Hi ,

Yesterday i went to the dentist and had two teeth abstracted. The pain afterwards was unbearable. That is not the scary bit. I was walking home afterwards not to far only takes 10 minutes. There where these two men walking just in front of me. I thought nothing of it. I was going to cross the road into the area where our complex is where we live i noticed one crossed over about 50 yards in front of me . The other one stayed in the middle of the inter section was watching me. There was another man in a pick - up on the corner. Now i,m getting scared as i kept thinking this is a set up. Something is going to happen to me. So i thougght quickly back tracked myself to the Shopping area. I have never been so scared in my life. You have to watch what is going on around you all the time. I"ll never walk alone again.

Kath

You were probably just being paranoid. It's extremely unlikely that a stranger will mess with you, particularly three of them, particularly in broad daylight.

I know it's scary and all being in a new place, but relax!

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
I don't think you were paranoid at all.

While I don't LOOK for things, I'm always AWARE of things.

Prudent behavior, AM or PM, in this day and age.

:thumbs:

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi ,

Kath

You were probably just being paranoid. It's extremely unlikely that a stranger will mess with you, particularly three of them, particularly in broad daylight.

I totally disagree, If there was going to be any crime commited, No matter which country, State or town, Crimes are commited in broad daylight, The OP mentioned a pick up truck, You were NOT being paranoid, Just very cautious in observing your surroundings.

I always tell my fiancee to keep her wits about her by checking her car before getting in, Especially if she gets an instinct that someone is trailing her to go into a crowded vicinity, Even if she was in my country (UK), Same difference....

Must of been scary, But i commend your strategy, Well done

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

You are not paranoid! Sounds pretty scary. I do the same thing when stuff like that happens: go into a store, seek places with lots of people. In NY there where a lot of situations like that. Weirdos stared at me in the subway and then exited it the my station (what a COINCIDENCE). First thing I always did was going directly into the nearby supermarket. And call somebody or fake to call somebody, that always scared them off...

Esp. as women we have to be very aware, because unfortunately there are sick men out there.

Edited by Anna C.

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I completely disagree

AOS

01-29-07 - marriage

02-07-07 - AOS package mailed to Chicago

02-09-07 - AOS package delivered

02-13-07 - NOA1 date

02-21-07 - Biometrics letter

02-24-07 - NOA1 received

03-01-07 - Biometrics taken

03-15-07 - Transferred to The Sucky/Slow Center (TSC)... to "speed up" processing.

03-17-07 - Transferred notice e-mail

03-20-07 - Received TSC transfer letter

03-21-07 - application pending at TSC e-mail.

05-14-07 - Misinfopass appt. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

06-05-07 - I-131 e-filed

06-11-07 - AP NOA1

07-09-07 - Received weird looking letter for AP, but online status hasn't changed

Last Touch - AOS 3/24, AP 7/03

aW1hZ2UucGhwPzQ2JkkrY291bGQraGF2ZStnb3R0ZW4rYStEZWxsJjAwMDAwMCYwMDAwMDAmMTImMTAmYyYwJjcmMiYyMDA3JjcmMCY0Mzc4NDcwMDExODEyMjE5ODguJw==.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I crossed the street once as a guy was coming towards me in a “bad” neighbourhood. It was completely unrelated to his being there though, I just wanted to get to the other side. He called out “hey! I wasn’t gonna hurt you!” Which made me feel terrible, so I crossed back to tell him my crossing had nothing to do with him. While I was saying so, he said “wanna go grab a coffee?”

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

Not paranoid at all, your instincts told you something is amiss and you listened to them . I think everyone has talked themselves out of listening to their gut reaction at sometime or another , and have been prooved wrong !! Always listen to your stomach ;) I would have done exactly the same in your situation. The fact that it's daylight doesn't mean that bad people won't try anything, it just means they are easier to spot :whistle:

kim

21/12/2005 arrive in time for Christmas with my baby !!

18/02/2006 We are married in Coeur D'Alene !!

16/05/2006 AOS and EAD sent off to the windy city. ( day 1)

27/05/2006 NOA's received...woo hoo !! ( day 12 )

09/06/2006 Appointment letter for biometrics arrives ( day 25 )

30/06/2006 Biometrics 11am at Spokane ( day 46 )

22/07/2006 Appointment letter for AOS interview arrives (day 68 )

04/08/2006 Without any warning.....EAD card arrives in the post !! ( day 81 )

24/08/2006 AOS interview at 7.30 am ( day 101 )

24/08/2006 APPROVED !!!

28/08/2006 Welcome to America letter arrives...gee thanks guys !! ( day 105 )

02/09/2006 Green card arrives ...woo hoo !! ( day 110 ) We can relax until 2008 :)

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Kath

I have lived in Houston for many, many years and know quite well that it can sometimes be a dangerous place. The city has its share of thugs, gangstas, punks, creeps, transients, etc. My advice is to be cautious, but don't live in fear. Like most large American cities, some areas of town are very safe and others are high crime. You should be careful until you learn the city and feel comfortable here.

I am quite sure it is very different than your former home in the UK. Watching the news on TV probably doesn't help matters. It can be rather grim and misleading.

My wife and 21 year old stepdaughter have arrived here in Houston 2 1/2 years ago. They travel freely about the city alone without any problems. We live in the southwest inside the city. It was a huge change from their former home, but they have adapted.

Use common sense and trust your instincts. Welcome to Houston. It ain't so bad. Especially now since summer is over. Autumn and winter is the best here.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Timeline

Hi ,

Kath

I totally disagree, If there was going to be any crime commited, No matter which country, State or town, Crimes are commited in broad daylight, The OP mentioned a pick up truck, You were NOT being paranoid, Just very cautious in observing your surroundings.

I always tell my fiancee to keep her wits about her by checking her car before getting in, Especially if she gets an instinct that someone is trailing her to go into a crowded vicinity, Even if she was in my country (UK), Same difference....

Must of been scary, But i commend your strategy, Well done

I grew up in one of America's most violent cities; I do know how to keep my wits about myself. I would not have been scared in that situation.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good to go with ur instincts!!! Gald all ended well!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Glad you followed your instincts. Better to be safe than sorry. :thumbs: I've had many incidents like that living in London and you did the right thing. Worse still is Paris. Ugh the place was swarming with weirdos when I lived there.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline

It's always better to be safe than sorry :thumbs: you did the right thing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/27/2006: Arrival in NYC! -- I-94/EAD stamp in passport

8/08/2006: Applied for Social Security Card

8/18/2006: Social Security Card arrives

8/25/2006: WEDDING!

AOS...

9/11/2006: Appointment with Civil Surgeon for vaccination supplement

9/18/2006: Mailed AOS and renewal EAD applications to Chicago

10/2/2006: NOA1's for AOS and EAD applications

10/13/2006: Biometrics taken

10/14/2006: NOA -- case transferred to CSC

10/30/2006: AOS approved without interview, greencard will be sent! :)

11/04/2006: Greencard arrives in the mail! :-D

... No more USCIS for two whole years! ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.