Sign in to follow this  
JenT

Depression

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I know you will respect the request for anonymity here as I am posting for a VJ friend who is concerned about her medical history. She is the beneficiary of a K1 and is concerned about how her history of depression will affect her medical approval to enter as a K1. I know there have been some here who have openly posted about their experiences with depression and their medical approval. Can you either share again here, so she can read the responses, or send me a pm and with your permission, I will forward the responses, anonymously, along to her?

She has given me permission to post this from her pm to me:

"I was hospitalized for depression and left 3 days later, my mood attributed to stress. I made an appointment with a counsellor independent of the hospital, who prescribed me medicine (Prozac). A year later I was taken off the medication and continue counselling off-and-on (as situations arise) without any further problems with depression or anxiety. I've been off medication for 6 months at this point."

Thanks for your kindness and sensitivity.

Jen

I think the only reason someone is denied a visa due to mental illness is if they are so mentally ill that they are a harm to themselves or others or to society. I think if she takes her medical records to the interview and if the CO has any questions about this incident, she can explain that is was just for a stressful period in her life and that is all. That she does not have a history of prolonged mental illness, suicidal tendencies, or serious mental illness, such as schizophrinia. Many people in the world today take antidepressants to help them through stressful times in their lives as well for clinical depression. They also live fulfilling normal lives, so I think she should have no problem at all if this is the only condition she has ever had.

Just a note, I don't base this on being a beneficiary in this position, I am just someone who has to take medication on a daily basis for Bipolar disorder and I can sympathize with her, I lead a completely normal life, work, am independent, just as anyone else would be. That is why I wanted to post.

~Stacey

Edited by snz1802

Thanks for your honesty, Stacey. There's so much more information out there about this these days... and people who decide to take action and feel better should feel empowered. Posts like yours help make that happen.

*hugs*

Jen

From what I've read on other posts, is it possible for her to get a letter from her doctor outlining her diagnosis/treatment/prognosis to take to the medical with her? It seems that this was required once a history was discovered to assist in finalizing the visa approval. I would think if she gets a satisfactory letter from her own doctor there shouldn't be any issues, especially from the rough draft you outlined of the situation.

Best wishes (F)

From what I've read on other posts, is it possible for her to get a letter from her doctor outlining her diagnosis/treatment/prognosis to take to the medical with her? It seems that this was required once a history was discovered to assist in finalizing the visa approval. I would think if she gets a satisfactory letter from her own doctor there shouldn't be any issues, especially from the rough draft you outlined of the situation.

Best wishes (F)

I would not consider rough draft..but anxiety due to external situation, in addition, she was taking care of it very wisely, and very intelligent/courageous, she is now out of the medication: this is not rough, it's back to normal or learning how to take care better of her stress. And it's not an "illness", it's mental health; important to underline.

Jen, I'd add that she might think about beyond the visa.

The first while here in the US can be a challenge.

The penny dropped for me yesterday about that. I did not realise it would be so long untill I was able to work, I think this will make things considerably harder. I have made huge progress during my own depression, I hope being at home won't drop me into a self pitying cycle!

As other posters had mentioned if your friend can have doctor write up how she is now off of medical treatment and is showing that she is working hard then this should not be an issue - my opinion.

with that said I think something for your friend to think about and realize:

Being in the US for the first time is a big life changing factor and my wife did experience a little depression or sadness at times being away from Brazil, family and friends, so I can see how it could be an issue for someone who has depression once she gets past the interview and here in the States.

Good luck and best wishes to your friend and you.

Jen-

Tigretigre had posted her own experiences about it in the UK forum. Perhaps search there. It boils down to a GP writing a letter & saying that the patient will not harm themselves or others.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.