one...two...tree

National Banned Books Week

50 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Maybe it's actually genius. Kids want to do what the CANT do...ban smoking, they want to smoke, make it illegal to drink, they want to drink...

ban books....and they'll be running to find them to read them???? :no:

u know actually that's a good idea lol... telling them not to read them so they do it.. 'no son, dont ever read fahrenheit 451, it's not for kids'.. hehehe

maybe it's time to ban the bible then :whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Maybe it's actually genius. Kids want to do what the CANT do...ban smoking, they want to smoke, make it illegal to drink, they want to drink...

ban books....and they'll be running to find them to read them???? :no:

u know actually that's a good idea lol... telling them not to read them so they do it.. 'no son, dont ever read fahrenheit 451, it's not for kids'.. hehehe

maybe it's time to ban the bible then :whistle:

;) May or may not work, does it come on DVD? :whistle:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline
Granted on Hustler, but for "Heather Has Two Mommies?" For what reason?

Because having two mommies is evil. EEE-VIL! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/27/2006: Arrival in NYC! -- I-94/EAD stamp in passport

8/08/2006: Applied for Social Security Card

8/18/2006: Social Security Card arrives

8/25/2006: WEDDING!

AOS...

9/11/2006: Appointment with Civil Surgeon for vaccination supplement

9/18/2006: Mailed AOS and renewal EAD applications to Chicago

10/2/2006: NOA1's for AOS and EAD applications

10/13/2006: Biometrics taken

10/14/2006: NOA -- case transferred to CSC

10/30/2006: AOS approved without interview, greencard will be sent! :)

11/04/2006: Greencard arrives in the mail! :-D

... No more USCIS for two whole years! ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Shouldn't the mark of an educated person be that they are able to think for themselves or is it just about regurgitating information? I don't want my kids to be carbon copies of me. I do hope they share common values, but I also want them to be exposed to different perspectives and viewpoints and then let them decide for themselves their own views about the world.

Edited by Steven_and_Jinky

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i just have to wonder how that (2 moms) works for breast feeding....... :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've read 30 on that list and I am appalled at some of the books listed: My Friend Flicka? Little Red Riding Hood? Flowers for Algernon? Oh come on now! I'm surprised that the individuals responsible for adding many of these books to this list even knows how to read! Ok, got to go to the bookstore this afternoon and buy more of the books on this specific list.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary by the Merriam-Webster Editorial Staff

:huh::blink::wacko:

now THERE'S a controversial one!!

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary by the Merriam-Webster Editorial Staff

:huh::blink::wacko:

now THERE'S a controversial one!!

:yes::lol::lol:

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

No, it's not; kids have grown up with several mommies throughout history or whenever all the men happened to die in wars, leaving behing women who banded together to raise their kids.

Reading books about people different from yourself is an important part of growing up and enables kids to become democratic citizens. If we keep kids from reading about people outside their communities they will lose their curiosity and fail to learn the art of adaptation.

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If anyone's ever read The Wind In The Willows (well known british kids books) you might be surprised to know that for a long time the Piper At The Gates of Dawn chapter was excised from the book because of the references to Paganism.

If we're talking about censorship (including that applied to movies and TV) if you apply the argument to books it becomes meaningless. I mean, how much "better" would The Color Purple be without that nasty rape to get in the way of an otherwise uplifting read :rolleyes:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline

No, it's not; kids have grown up with several mommies throughout history or whenever all the men happened to die in wars, leaving behing women who banded together to raise their kids.

Reading books about people different from yourself is an important part of growing up and enables kids to become democratic citizens. If we keep kids from reading about people outside their communities they will lose their curiosity and fail to learn the art of adaptation.

Oh no... my attempt at sarcasm has gone horribly awry :lol: I don't actually think it's evil; not at all.

Shouldn't the mark of an educated person be that they are able to think for themselves or is it just about regurgitating information? I don't want my kids to be carbon copies of me. I do hope they share common values, but I also want them to be exposed to different perspectives and viewpoints and then let them decide for themselves their own views about the world.

I was just kidding earlier. You're right though -- I wouldn't want my children to be carbon copies of me or their father. I want them to be able to think for themselves and form their own ideas, even if we disagree. :thumbs:

PS -- aww, Jinky looks so nice in those pictures in your sig. :)

7/27/2006: Arrival in NYC! -- I-94/EAD stamp in passport

8/08/2006: Applied for Social Security Card

8/18/2006: Social Security Card arrives

8/25/2006: WEDDING!

AOS...

9/11/2006: Appointment with Civil Surgeon for vaccination supplement

9/18/2006: Mailed AOS and renewal EAD applications to Chicago

10/2/2006: NOA1's for AOS and EAD applications

10/13/2006: Biometrics taken

10/14/2006: NOA -- case transferred to CSC

10/30/2006: AOS approved without interview, greencard will be sent! :)

11/04/2006: Greencard arrives in the mail! :-D

... No more USCIS for two whole years! ...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bahamas
Timeline

i've only read maybe a dozen of those books... when i start working, i can join a book club and start up my collection.

Adjustment of Status

July 1 2006 - Sent EAD & AOS packet

Sept 19 2006 - EAD APPROVED

Sept 22 2006 - AOS APPROVED

Sept 23 2006 - EAD card arrived

Sept 29 2006 - GC arrived!!!

Removal of Conditions

Jul 9 2008 - Filed @ VSC

Feb 25 2009 - Transferred to CSC

June 20 2009 - Card production ordered

NATURALIZATION

Aug 24 2009 - Mailed N-400 priority mail

Aug 26 2009 - rec'd at TX Lockbox

Aug 27 2009 - NOA1 (rec'd 8/31)

Aug 28 2009 - check cashed

Sept 4 2009 - biometrics notice [rec'd Sept 9]

Sept 25 2009 - Biometrics

Oct 17 2009 - Email about file transfer for interview

Oct 21 2009 - Interview Letter Rec'd

Dec 8 2009 - Interview - PASSED!!!!!!

Dec 19 2009 - Oath Letter rec'd

Jan 14 2010 - OATH CEREMONY!!!!

Jan 15 2010 - Passport app.

Jan 21 2010 - Nat. cert. returned

Jan 22 2010 - Passport rec'd

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
If anyone's ever read The Wind In The Willows (well known british kids books) you might be surprised to know that for a long time the Piper At The Gates of Dawn chapter was excised from the book because of the references to Paganism.

If we're talking about censorship (including that applied to movies and TV) if you apply the argument to books it becomes meaningless. I mean, how much "better" would The Color Purple be without that nasty rape to get in the way of an otherwise uplifting read :rolleyes:

On of my favorite books from my youth! :yes:

Oh no... my attempt at sarcasm has gone horribly awry :lol: I don't actually think it's evil; not at all.

I was just kidding earlier. You're right though -- I wouldn't want my children to be carbon copies of me or their father. I want them to be able to think for themselves and form their own ideas, even if we disagree. :thumbs:

PS -- aww, Jinky looks so nice in those pictures in your sig. :)

Thanks, Karen! I know some here don't like the big, long signatures - but after seeing her like that last night on chat, I had to capture and show that smile of hers off! :) Be still my heart...sigh...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I've read 30 on that list and I am appalled at some of the books listed: My Friend Flicka? Little Red Riding Hood? Flowers for Algernon? Oh come on now! I'm surprised that the individuals responsible for adding many of these books to this list even knows how to read! Ok, got to go to the bookstore this afternoon and buy more of the books on this specific list.

:yes:

Johanna & Peter

Colombia / U.S.A.

I-129F / K-1 Fiancee Visa

08-20-02 - Met Johanna in Armenia, Colombia

10-05-05 - K-1 Sent to TSC

10-14-05 - Received NOA1 by E-Mail (Day 9)

12-22-05 - Reveived NOA2 By E-Mail & Mail (Day 78)

03-03-06 - Interview Date! (Day 149) Approved

03-10-06 - Johanna Arrived

05-27-06 - Married

I-485 / AOS (Did not applied for EAD or AP)

06-05-06 - Sent I-485 application to Chicago via USPS (Day 1)

06-06-06 - AOS Package Delivered at 12:29PM

06-12-06 - Received NOA1 by Mail

06-14-06 - Check Cashed

06-22-06 - Received Appointment Notice for Biometrics

06-26-06 - "Request for Additional Evidence" Online, waiting for letter

06-29-06 - Biometrics Done!

06-30-06 - Received RFE Letter by mail. (Missing Birth Certificate)

07-10-06 - Sent RFE by Express Mail USPS

07-11-06 - RFE Delivered @ 10:54AM Sign by D. Atwell

08-28-06 - AOS Transferred to CSC E-mail & USCIS Website (Day 85)

08-30-06 - Touched #1

08-31-06 - Touched #2

08-31-06 - E-Mail from CRIS & USCIS-CSSO - CSC received AOS Application

09-01-06 - Touched #3

09-01-06 - NOA by Mail Regarding Transfer to CSC

09-05-06 - Touched #4

09-07-06 - Touched #5

09-13-06 - Touched #6

09-15-06 - AOS Approved by Online Status & E-mail

09-21-06 - Received GC and Welcome Letter (Day 109)