Lady Amorika

"Proof of Meeting"

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm new and terrified about this whole process.

I'm in Canada, he's in New York and we are planning to file for a K-1. The proof of meeting requirements are really really worrying me.

I have:

2 parking tickets of his, with his liscence plate number in front of my address.

Pictures of us together, most notably one of him and I at his sister's wedding, which we were both in. The pictures aren't dated, but I have the invite still and bridal shower invite, too.

One slip where he had to go into immigration while crossing the border into Canada for my birthday.

Problems:

We don't have/use credit cards.

We don't stay in hotels.

We drive across the border.

This worries me so much because we see each other at least twice a month. I can't believe I don't have the proof they need. What am I supposed to do?

I think you're fine... just write a paragraph about the nature of your relationship... have it notarized if it makes you feel better.

I've never heard anyone using parking tickets as evidence before.. very creative!! :P

Save the stress for the interview process :D

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Lady Amorika,

Did immigration stamp either passport when crossing the border? That would be excellent evidence.

No credit cards, ok. How about ATM card withdrawals? Can you supply banks statements with ATM withdrawal information?

I'm in Canada, he's in New York and we are planning to file for a K-1. The proof of meeting requirements are really really worrying me.

I have:

2 parking tickets of his, with his liscence plate number in front of my address.

Pictures of us together, most notably one of him and I at his sister's wedding, which we were both in. The pictures aren't dated, but I have the invite still and bridal shower invite, too.

One slip where he had to go into immigration while crossing the border into Canada for my birthday.

Problems:

We don't stay in hotels.

This worries me so much because we see each other at least twice a month. I can't believe I don't have the proof they need. What am I supposed to do?

Oh, and I forgot...I supplied copies of receipts for groceries we bought while I was visiting him... but you are really probably fine...

Jen

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I wouldn't worry too much, I think the evidence you have is fine. We only submitted pictures and our petition was approved. Fair or not, I don't think that the burden of proof is as heavy for Canadians as it is for other countries.

Timeline
I think you're fine... just write a paragraph about the nature of your relationship... have it notarized if it makes you feel better.

I've never heard anyone using parking tickets as evidence before.. very creative!! :P

Jen

You use what you have, right? :)

I'm literally worried to tears about this, I'm so scared it won't work. We've been together 4 year and engaged 3 and I'm so tired of this long distance! I want to be with him so badly, and I can't believe that we don't have any "proof" -- sigh.

Lady Amorika,

Did immigration stamp either passport when crossing the border? That would be excellent evidence.

No credit cards, ok. How about ATM card withdrawals? Can you supply banks statements with ATM withdrawal information?

I have:

Problems:

We don't stay in hotels.

I could definitely call my bank for some statements.

Neither of us even have our passports yet, that's in process now. Bah. *tears*

I wouldn't worry too much, I think the evidence you have is fine. We only submitted pictures and our petition was approved. Fair or not, I don't think that the burden of proof is as heavy for Canadians as it is for other countries.

Were your pictures anything special, with dates or anything?

Lady Amorika,

As others have stated, the evidence requirement for Canadian/American couples is less burdensome.

You are probably good with what you have, but the bank statement with ATM transactions will help.

Don't worry about it, this process is not as bad as it appears.

Good luck. :thumbs:

First of all, welcome!!

Second of all, don't be terrified!! This process is NOT as intimidating as it seems. ;)

Third .... passport stamps do seem to be your next best option. As well, I would suggest two or three pictures .... in different clothes (that way it doesn't look like a single 5-minute photo shoot ... which did cause problems for another couple in my fiance's country). :unsure:

Remember .... at this point in the game you don't have to prove anything more than actually having met in person in the last two years. Save the "proof of ongoing relationship" for the interview at the consulate.

Good luck!!

6/29 - NEW I-129 mailed to CSC

7/21 - NOA1 issued

9/21 - finally ... my first touch!!

9/21 - NOA2 issued

Jen

I'm literally worried to tears about this, I'm so scared it won't work. We've been together 4 year and engaged 3 and I'm so tired of this long distance! I want to be with him so badly, and I can't believe that we don't have any "proof" -- sigh.

That's right. Just be confident with what you have. Somehow, I think that having 'too much evidence' isn't good either. Can seem staged and contrived.

You have proof that you have met... you can be together during the interview to establish visual evidence of your relationship. The Consular officer will be able to tell whether your relationship is 'real' or not.

David's interview is tomorrow and I can honestly say that I'm not even bothered about it. It's just one more step in the process... we've done all that we can, and he will confidently pass the 'test' in the morning. I'm more worried about how I'm going to make room in my bedroom closets for him!!

Jen

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

This is an instance where I would suggest perhaps using emails to back up visits. For instance, if he wrote you an email saying that he was on his way, or perhaps detailing plans to back up your visits and photos then this would be a good chance to use them to create a big picture.

The ATM slips/bank statements were also a great idea. He must have bought gas at some point!

I'm Canadian and David is from NY (state) as well - so I know the stress. Just get creative; the advice that has been given before is to back up your 'explanation of meeting' paragraph with your evidence in order to create a big picture.

Good luck!

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Timeline

Jen

That's right. Just be confident with what you have. Somehow, I think that having 'too much evidence' isn't good either. Can seem staged and contrived.

You have proof that you have met... you can be together during the interview to establish visual evidence of your relationship. The Consular officer will be able to tell whether your relationship is 'real' or not.

David's interview is tomorrow and I can honestly say that I'm not even bothered about it. It's just one more step in the process... we've done all that we can, and he will confidently pass the 'test' in the morning. I'm more worried about how I'm going to make room in my bedroom closets for him!!

Jen

He is coming up next weekend. Is there anything we can do to get that additional proof, without seeming contrived? I definitely know what you mean about the "over-doing it" thing, which I don't want to do, I just feel like my proof is somehow substandard compared to others.

Go take a photo in front of a recognizable landmark and date stamp it - we took a photo in front of his "Welcome to.." town sign (but also had touristy Washington photos from a previous visit). Also, David and I once gassed up at the same gas station and charged it. Your debit cards should show all the same info.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Jen

Jen

He is coming up next weekend. Is there anything we can do to get that additional proof, without seeming contrived? I definitely know what you mean about the "over-doing it" thing, which I don't want to do, I just feel like my proof is somehow substandard compared to others.

You could have a picture taken next to some marquis/sign that has the date on it.... as if you were sightseeing together.

Not to add any reasons for concern here, but he should also be careful now about his entries into the US... he should bring proof of his ties to Canada (letter from employer, lease agreements, etc.) to avoid being considered an immigration risk. If he ever gets denied entry, things are going to get complicated.

Jen

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

Timeline

He's the American, I'm the Canadian. So when he comes into Canada, he shows proof of ties to the US. He hasn't had any problems, as he works on a military base and brings weekly pay stubs with him.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.