Alex+R

Spy Agencies Say Iraq War Worsens Terror Threat

166 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

WASHINGTON, Sept. 23 — A stark assessment of terrorism trends by American intelligence agencies has found that the American invasion and occupation of Iraq has helped spawn a new generation of Islamic radicalism and that the overall terrorist threat has grown since the Sept. 11 attacks.

The classified National Intelligence Estimate attributes a more direct role to the Iraq war in fueling radicalism than that presented either in recent White House documents or in a report released Wednesday by the House Intelligence Committee, according to several officials in Washington involved in preparing the assessment or who have read the final document.

The intelligence estimate, completed in April, is the first formal appraisal of global terrorism by United States intelligence agencies since the Iraq war began, and represents a consensus view of the 16 disparate spy services inside government. Titled “Trends in Global Terrorism: Implications for the United States,’’ it asserts that Islamic radicalism, rather than being in retreat, has metastasized and spread across the globe.

An opening section of the report, “Indicators of the Spread of the Global Jihadist Movement,” cites the Iraq war as a reason for the diffusion of jihad ideology.

The report “says that the Iraq war has made the overall terrorism problem worse,” said one American intelligence official.

(continues)

Source: NYTimes.com

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
The classified National Intelligence Estimate attributes a more direct role to the Iraq war in fueling radicalism than that presented either in recent White House documents or in a report released Wednesday by the House Intelligence Committee, according to several officials in Washington involved in preparing the assessment or who have read the final document.

ah yes, the nyt is busy printing classified again.................

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline

Ah yes, charles is more concerned with the messenger than with the message yet again. The Iraq war is counter-productive in terms of making the US safer from terrorist threats. That's the message. Why that is still classified beats the ####### out of me: I've been saying this since March 2003.

Did you go to school with Rove by any chance? :whistle:

Timeline

Ah yes, charles is more concerned with the messenger than with the message yet again. The Iraq war is counter-productive in terms of making the US safer from terrorist threats. That's the message. Why that is still classified beats the ####### out of me: I've been saying this since March 2003.

maybe someday you'll understand that some things remain classified in order to protect sources and methods ;)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

maybe someday you'll understand that some things remain classified in order to protect sources and methods ;)

And some things are "leaked" and printed because they are in the public interest. Especially when they would otherwise be concealed to protect the government from dealing with a failing policy.

And maybe one day you'll recognize that sometimes the obvious is kept classified because of politics. ;)

Edited by ET-US2004

Timeline

And maybe one day you'll recognize that sometimes the obvious is kept classified because of politics. ;)

ah yes, when it's kept classified, it's politics. when it's leaked, it's politics. amazing :rolleyes:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

The intelligence estimate, completed in April, is the first formal appraisal of global terrorism by United States intelligence agencies since the Iraq war began, and represents a consensus view of the 16 disparate spy services inside government. Titled “Trends in Global Terrorism: Implications for the United States,’’ it asserts that Islamic radicalism, rather than being in retreat, has metastasized and spread across the globe.

They must not have gotten the Veep's memo - over a year ago, they were in their last throes. Remember? :lol:

And some things are "leaked" and printed because they are in the public interest. Especially when they would otherwise be concealed to protect the government from dealing with a failing policy.

So who is the NYT to decide this?? In numerous countries the NYT reporters and editors would probably be thrown into jail..

Edited by Infidel

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

ah yes, when it's kept classified, it's politics. when it's leaked, it's politics. amazing :rolleyes:

It's ALL politics ;)

Well he does have a point. I'm sure you are all for boiling in oil Cheney and anyone else in the Bush administration for the Plame leak, so why is the NY Times leaking classified info no big deal to you.

To me that report is a fine grasp of the obvious. Tell me something I don't already know.

Edited by mdyoung

The administartion keeps insisting that due to it's policies and actions, we're better off today from a safety and security point of view than we would be had we not invaded Iraq. Here's the government agencies that deal with assessing threat levels and risks saying the exact opposite. Don't you think the administration, seeing that they know this since April and keep claiming the opposite publicly, has political reasons to keep this one under wraps? They've been knowingly lying to the people yet again for the past few months. Not that I'd expect anything else from these thugs but there's the evidence and I believe in a free society, this is information of public interest.

Edited by ET-US2004

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

:yes::thumbs: You just have to keep screaming it above the rhetoric.

I'm sure you are all for boiling in oil Cheney and anyone else in the Bush administration for the Plame leak, so why is the NY Times leaking classified info no big deal to you.
You essentially answered this yourself:
To me that report is a fine grasp of the obvious.

It just makes it official. It also makes official that the administration has, again, been busy lying to the public about the actual results of their Iraq policy as it relates to the safety of this nation. ;)