Trumplestiltskin

Arm Against 'Katricians,' Gun Dealers Tell Houston

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Arm Against 'Katricians,' Gun Dealers Tell Houston

I just saw a report on this - the gunshop owner behind this came across like a stupid arsehole, while the token black "community leader" they trotted out was just an idiot.

HOUSTON — When the "Katricians" rise up in violence, Houstonians had better be packing some serious heat.

That's the inflammatory message of a new gun-shop commercial on the radio that gives Hurricane Katrina evacuees a vaguely alien-sounding name, and advises Texans to take up arms to defend themselves against crimes committed by the newcomers.

"When the 'Katricians' themselves are quoted as saying the crime rate is gonna go up if they don't get more free rent, then it's time to get your concealed-handgun license," warns the radio ad by Jim Pruett, who co-hosts a bombastic talk-radio show and owns Jim Pruett's Guns & Ammo, a self-styled "anti-terrorist headquarters" that sells knives, shotguns, semi-automatic rifles and other weapons. As Pruett describes the dangers posed by "Katricians," glass can be heard shattering, and a bell tolling ominously.

The radio spot highlights what many gun-store owners say is a hot trend in Houston: trade in weapons amid a surge in the homicide rate that police attribute to the more than 100,000 hurricane evacuees still in the city. Though the gun sale reports are largely anecdotal, Texas officials said applications for concealed-weapons permits were up statewide: 60,328 from Jan. 1 to Sept. 1 this year, compared with 46,298 for the same period last year.

The Houston Police Department estimates that one in five homicides in the city now involves Katrina evacuees — as suspect, victim or both. Many Houston residents, including some evacuees, are worried that crime will only get worse once housing and other public assistance end.

Hurricane evacuees and the nonprofit groups that have been helping them rebuild their lives are saddened by what they see as a growing tendency in Texas to stereotype the predominantly African American newcomers as hoodlums, based on the crimes of a few.

Parnell "Herb" Herbert, a spoken-word artist and community organizer from New Orleans who wound up in Houston after the hurricane, said he chafed at being called a Katrina evacuee because he believed the label had taken on a negative connotation in the media and did not describe who he was.

"I am not a Katrina evacuee; I am a New Orleanian living in Houston. I am a father, a grandfather, a Vietnam vet," Herbert said.

"Now this guy wants to call me a 'Katrician' or 'Katrinanite' or whatever, which sounds like Martian or something," he added. "It's frightening to see what is happening. When we were brought here from Africa, we were dehumanized."

Though evacuees seethe over the generalizations, they are no longer surprised to hear them expressed. This month, Texas gubernatorial candidate Kinky Friedman, a cigar-chomping humorist and musician running a populist campaign, joined the chorus of anti-evacuee sentiment.

"The musicians and artists have mostly moved back to New Orleans now," Friedman said. "The crackheads and the thugs have decided to stay here. They want to stay here. I think they got their hustle on, and we need to get ours."

Friedman later clarified that he was not calling all evacuees in Texas crackheads and thugs, and his campaign disclosed that the independent candidate had been housing a New Orleans musician friend since the storm. Nonetheless, evacuees and activists accused him of pandering to voters' racial prejudice.

Hostility toward evacuees also spilled out during an emotional community meeting in west Houston on Aug. 30, when a packed crowd of 1,700 demanded that Mayor Bill White send the Louisianans home. The west Houston area has been housing the majority of evacuees, and has been particularly hard hit by the increase in homicides.

Houston's Police Patrolmen's Union, which is in a nasty political fight with Police Chief Harold Hurtt, has put up billboards that portray the city as unsafe.

In that climate, many gun dealers report strong sales and maintain that customers are citing an evacuee-fueled crime rate as the reason they are choosing to arm themselves.

"When crime rates shoot up, business goes up. It's that simple," said Art May, 50, owner of the Republic Arms shop. "Right now, with the news talking about crime being high in Houston because of all the Katrina people, people who have been putting off getting a gun are finally coming in. These aren't people looking for high-dollar hunting rifles. They're looking for weapons of self-defense."

May said he believed gun buying had peaked, because his sales, which were up 50% at one point, had slowed in recent weeks. Some gun dealers questioned whether there ever was a trend, saying that although sales were strong just after the storm, they quickly trailed off.

But at Jim Pruett's Guns & Ammo, in a strip mall on the northwest outskirts of town, the staff said business was booming, thanks in part to Pruett's ad.

The store has always sold its gear with a sense of humor: Its website plays "Bad Boys," the theme from the television show "Cops," and advises, "Be polite and courteous, but have a plan to KILL everybody you meet." The walls are lined with pistol-grip shotguns and semiautomatic rifles, and glass cases full of oversize knives and handguns for seemingly every taste — from $400 pistols to a massive tiger-striped Desert Eagle for $1,600.

During the lunch hour on Friday, Pruett, 62, played a recording of his radio spot and sounded quite pleased with himself. "God, that's great," he said.

As he sat behind the counter, beneath coils of ornamental razor wire along the ceiling, he said he did not consider his commercial racist and had no regrets.

"The storm washed up a lot of people who live off crime and getting the loot," he said. "The people who are here and have gotten jobs, that's a wonderful thing. They're Houstonians now. But the people who are still unemployed a year later, who are just sitting around doing nothing, they're 'Katricians.' That's the way I see it."

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

What is the moral of this story?

Unfortunately, the facts speak for themselves. Nothing has changed for a lot of these evacuees (or ever will)...they just took the show on the road.

Of course there are azzholes the world over that try to make a buck or a name out of a bad situation. Is this an indictment of Houston? Another cheap shot at Southern rednecks and the South? Talk about stereotypes!

Jim Pruett and Kinky Friedman are local comedian / celebrities that make a living out of being obnoxious jokesters. Nothing new there.

Funny thing though...I didn't see Teddy Kennedy, Howard Dean, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, etc., etc., sending caravans of buses down to bring "their base" up to their own neck of the liberal woods.

Yes, we are stuck with our Katrinanites in Houston...but it is not too late for Howard Dean to send down some buses and bring "his base" to Vermont. Why doesn't / didn't he? And where is Teddy when we need him? AWOL when the going gets tough? The facts speak for themselves. Talk is cheap and bullsh!t walks.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Funny thing though...I didn't see Teddy Kennedy, Howard Dean, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, etc., etc., sending caravans of buses down to bring "their base" up to their own neck of the liberal woods.

Yes, we are stuck with our Katrinanites in Houston...but it is not too late for Howard Dean to send down some buses and bring "his base" to Vermont. Why doesn't / didn't he? And where is Teddy when we need him? AWOL when the going gets tough? The facts speak for themselves. Talk is cheap and bullsh!t walks.

Look it's the thought that counts from the guys above.. :lol:

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Unfortunately, the facts speak for themselves. Nothing has changed for a lot of these evacuees (or ever will)...they just took the show on the road.

Of course there are azzholes the world over that try to make a buck or a name out of a bad situation. Is this an indictment of Houston? Another cheap shot at Southern rednecks and the South? Talk about stereotypes!

Jim Pruett and Kinky Friedman are local comedian / celebrities that make a living out of being obnoxious jokesters. Nothing new there.

right on pj! where is bush, rush, and rove with their caravans? dayum these mofos! :diablo:

wait, a whole post w/o bashing the illegal immigrants??? :o you ok? :P

Daniel

:energetic:

Ana (Mexico) ------ Daniel (California)(me)

---------------------------------------------

Sept. 11, 2004: Got married (civil), in Mexico :D

July 23, 2005: Church wedding

===============================

K3(I-129F):

Oct. 28, 2004: Mailed I-129F.

~USPS, First-Class, Certified Mail, Rtn Recpt ($5.80)

Nov. 3, 2004: NOA1!!!!

Nov. 5, 2004: Check Cashed!!

zzzz deep hibernationn zzzz

May 12, 2005 NOA2!!!! #######!!! huh???

off to NVC.

May 26, 2005: NVC approves I129F.

CR1(I-130):

Oct. 6, 2004: Mailed I-130.

Oct. 8, 2004: I-130 Delivered to CSC in Laguna Niguel.

~Per USPS website's tracking tool.

Oct. 12, 2004 BCIS-CSC Signs for I-130 packet.

Oct. 21, 2004 Check cashed!

Oct. 25, 2004 NOA1 (I-130) Go CSC!!

Jan. 05, 2005 Approved!!!! Off to NVC!!!!

NVC:

Jan. 05, 2005 ---> in route from CSC

Jan. 12, 2005 Case entered system

Jan. 29, 2005 Received I-864 Bill

Jan. 31, 2005 Sent Payment to St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 01, 2005 Wife received DS3032(Choice of Agent)

Feb. 05, 2005 Payment Received in St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 08, 2005 Sent DS3032 to Portsmouth NH

Feb. 12, 2005 DS3032 Received by NVC

Mar. 04, 2005 Received IV Bill

Mar. 04, 2005 Sent IV Bill Payment

Mar. 08, 2005 Received I864

Mar. 19, 2005 Sent I864

Mar. 21, 2005 I864 Received my NVC

Apr. 18, 2005 Received DS230

Apr. 19, 2005 Sent DS230

Apr. 20, 2005 DS230 received by NVC (signed by S Merfeld)

Apr. 22, 2005 DS230 entered NVC system

Apr. 27, 2005 CASE COMPLETE

May 10, 2005 CASE SENT TO JUAREZ

Off to Cd. Juarez! :D

calls to NVC: 6

CIUDAD JUAREZ, American Consulate:

Apr. 27, 2005 case completed at NVC.

May 10, 2005 in route to Juarez.

May 25, 2005 Case at consulate.

-- Legal Disclaimer:What I say is only a reflection of what I did, going to do, or may do; it may also reflect what I have read others did, are going to do, or may do. What you do or may do is what you do or may do. You do so or may do so strictly out of your on voilition; or follow what a lawyer advised you to do, or may do. Having said that: have a nice day!

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

right on pj! where is bush, rush, and rove with their caravans? dayum these mofos! :diablo:

wait, a whole post w/o bashing the illegal immigrants??? :o you ok? :P

Daniel

Hey...I did see George W's ex-prez dad and his mom Barbara giving aid and comfort to the evacuees at the Astrodome.

Teddy and Howard were nowhere in sight. They are too busy plugging for amnesty for illegal aliens (foreign non-citizens). Teddy shows up regularly at the illegal alien rallies and sponsors illegal alien amnesty legislation. The fact is they (Democrats) have taken blacks (US citizens) for granted and still expect their votes.

American blacks are hurt the worst by this institutional corruption of tolerance for illegal immigration. Too bad blacks haven't realized that Teddy and company are more interested in the political gain they might get from a rapidly increasing illegal population that might be allowed a"pathway to citizenship" than they are about US citizens that are supposedly their "base" of support.

Actually, both political parties disgust me...cheap labor vs cheap votes. However, the dominating liberal wing of the Democratic party makes me gag much worst than the neocon Repubs. Both stink to high heaven and have sold out the average citizen on the streets of America in ways to numerous to mention. The tolerance for illegal immigration is just the tip of the iceburg.

Is this the old Peejay that you love to hate? ;)

I couldn't resist! :yes:

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

There's nothing wrong with being prepare and defending yourself.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline

Prepared is as prepared does - Gun Owners are making the claim that people need to arm themselves about "criminal Katricians" - I wonder how much that has to do with an honest sense of civic duty, or the fact that they stand to make a big wad of sweaty money out of it by fuelling people's paranoia.

Filed: Timeline

To get a better, more detailed overview of the situation in Houston - from just after Katrina to now, read this article....

http://www.city-journal.org/html/16_2_houston.html

Edited by PlatyPius
Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Timeline
To get a better, more detailed overview of the situation in Houston - from just after Katrina to now, read this article....

I don't actually disagree with the assessment that crime has risen as a result of the influx of New Orleans refugees. It stands to reason that tens of thousands of people without homes, jobs etc will translate to a rise in crime.

What irritates me is the typical "might makes right" attitude from this idiot of a gunshop owner who has thrown out a tediously xenophobic argument which equates refugees to some sort "alien invasion". Then you have black community leaders who deny the obvious - that crime HAS increased since Katrina refugees arrived in the city and refuse to concede that just because "all their friends and family are decent law abiding citizens", the same can be said of everyone else.

Its yet another example of a polarised discourse - they both blame each other. Both are angry with the wrong people IMO.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Hey...I did see George W's ex-prez dad and his mom Barbara giving aid and comfort to the evacuees at the Astrodome.

Geoge W's ex-pres dad .... now there is man who knew what he was doing. that is a man/politician I can respect.

Teddy and Howard were nowhere in sight. They are too busy plugging for amnesty for illegal aliens (foreign non-citizens). Teddy shows up regularly at the illegal alien rallies and sponsors illegal alien amnesty legislation. The fact is they (Democrats) have taken blacks (US citizens) for granted and still expect their votes.

Teddy & Howard are busy in their own states. Plus, who could blame them for not venturing into 'red' country? Especailly Ted, given what happend to his bro.

American blacks are hurt the worst by this institutional corruption of tolerance for illegal immigration. Too bad blacks haven't realized that Teddy and company are more interested in the political gain they might get from a rapidly increasing illegal population that might be allowed a"pathway to citizenship" than they are about US citizens that are supposedly their "base" of support.

Dems & blacks... you have a valid point there pj.

Actually, both political parties disgust me...cheap labor vs cheap votes. However, the dominating liberal wing of the Democratic party makes me gag much worst than the neocon Repubs. Both stink to high heaven and have sold out the average citizen on the streets of America in ways to numerous to mention. The tolerance for illegal immigration is just the tip of the iceburg.

exactly what do they dominate? their own party? ok. so what? they aren't the ones controlling the gov't though. it is the right wing neocon Repubs that have been controlling the gov't for a while now. The standout Texan Tom DeLay is a shining example of that. How come you never rag on them?

I like this post much more than the other ones. In this one you stuck it to the politicos. Versus making all illegal immigrants sound like a threat to national security.

Futher more, make sure you are sitting down when you read this, I actually agree with you ( :o:help::lol: ) that the ruling politicos are corrupt and in general seel out the working class govt.

So, to keep this post on topic, I have faith in the ppl of America to come through one way or another in such a way that Houston will be able to manage the influx of the Katrina evacuees. Sure we have will always have bad apples. Some are yahoos that cry that the sky is falling and tat we all must be armed to the teeth. Other yahoos want to collect welfare check, sell/buy drugs, all the while claiming that it is their god given right to do so. But in the end, America will do just fine.

Is this the old Peejay that you love to hate? ;)

I couldn't resist! :yes:

:dance: pj is ok!!! :dance:

boy you really had me worried there. :yes:

excellent article! :thumbs:

Daniel

Edited by AnaAndDaniel

Ana (Mexico) ------ Daniel (California)(me)

---------------------------------------------

Sept. 11, 2004: Got married (civil), in Mexico :D

July 23, 2005: Church wedding

K3(I-129F):

Oct. 28, 2004: Mailed I-129F.

Nov. 3, 2004: NOA1!!!!

Nov. 5, 2004: Check Cashed!!

zzzz deep hibernationn zzzz

May 12, 2005 NOA2!!!! #######!!! huh???

off to NVC.

May 26, 2005: NVC approves I129F.

CR1(I-130):

Oct. 6, 2004: Mailed I-130.

Oct. 8, 2004: I-130 Delivered to CSC in Laguna Niguel.

~Per USPS website's tracking tool.

Oct. 12, 2004 BCIS-CSC Signs for I-130 packet.

Oct. 21, 2004 Check cashed!

Oct. 25, 2004 NOA1 (I-130) Go CSC!!

Jan. 05, 2005 Approved!!!! Off to NVC!!!!

NVC:

Jan. 05, 2005 ---> in route from CSC

Jan. 12, 2005 Case entered system

Jan. 29, 2005 Received I-864 Bill

Jan. 31, 2005 Sent Payment to St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 01, 2005 Wife received DS3032(Choice of Agent)

Feb. 05, 2005 Payment Received in St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 08, 2005 Sent DS3032 to Portsmouth NH

Feb. 12, 2005 DS3032 Received by NVC

Mar. 04, 2005 Received IV Bill

Mar. 04, 2005 Sent IV Bill Payment

Mar. 08, 2005 Received I864

Mar. 19, 2005 Sent I864

Mar. 21, 2005 I864 Received my NVC

Apr. 18, 2005 Received DS230

Apr. 19, 2005 Sent DS230

Apr. 20, 2005 DS230 received by NVC (signed by S Merfeld)

Apr. 22, 2005 DS230 entered NVC system

Apr. 27, 2005 CASE COMPLETE

May 10, 2005 CASE SENT TO JUAREZ

Off to Cd. Juarez! :D

calls to NVC: 6

CIUDAD JUAREZ, American Consulate:

Apr. 27, 2005 case completed at NVC.

May 10, 2005 in route to Juarez.

May 25, 2005 Case at consulate.

-- Legal Disclaimer:What I say is only a reflection of what I did, going to do, or may do; it may also reflect what I have read others did, are going to do, or may do. What you do or may do is what you do or may do. You do so or may do so strictly out of your on voilition; or follow what a lawyer advised you to do, or may do. Having said that: have a nice day!

I don't actually disagree with the assessment that crime has risen as a result of the influx of New Orleans refugees. It stands to reason that tens of thousands of people without homes, jobs etc will translate to a rise in crime.

I was waiting for the excuse... Always someone to blame apart from themselves. That is no excuse. This is why the US is plagued with ghettos.

It is almost as if others give them the right to be bums, trash areas and use crime as a means to get their way.. Don't get me wrong I agree a lot of has to be done improve this situation like:

• Throwing the repeated law breakers in prison
  • Offering relocation packages to people and families to move to areas of low unemployment
  • Restoring and renovating these ghettos
  • Offering micro-loans loans for them to get an education and improve their lives..
  • Holding their community leaders accountable.
  • Educating them on the negative effects of using of drugs and alcohol..

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Timeline

I was waiting for the excuse... Always someone to blame apart from themselves. That is no excuse. This is why the US is plagued with ghettos.

It is almost as if others give them the right to be bums, trash areas and use crime as a means to get their way.. Don't get me wrong I agree a lot of has to be done improve this situation like:

• Throwing the repeated law breakers in prison
  • Offering relocation packages to people and families to move to areas of low unemployment
  • Restoring and renovating these ghettos
  • Offering micro-loans loans for them to get an education and improve their lives..
  • Holding their community leaders accountable.
  • Educating them on the negative effects of using of drugs and alcohol..

I miss the part where my comment was offered an excuse…

Poverty is synonymous with crime. It follows that more poor people equates to more crime. That's "obvious". I fail to see how the solution to that is to on one hand resort violent xenophobia, or on the other to fall back on political correctness.

How about you read what is actually written, rather than see what you want to read.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

I see your point...but the thing is, that these people are not the base of any political party as most aren't even registered to vote.

Sept. 27: Filed AOS, EAD and AP

Oct. 6: NOA for AOS, EADand AP received, case was moved from the DC office to MSC

Nov. 23: Biometrics and fingerprint appt.

Nov. 24: AOS and EAD touched

Dec. 3: EAD arrives in the mail!

Sept 19, 2005: E-filed EAD renewal

Sept. 20: I-485 transferred to CSC

Dec 20: RFE notice received

Feb. 13, 2006: RFE received in CSC

Feb. 23: AOS approved

Prepared is as prepared does - Gun Owners are making the claim that people need to arm themselves about "criminal Katricians" - I wonder how much that has to do with an honest sense of civic duty, or the fact that they stand to make a big wad of sweaty money out of it by fuelling people's paranoia.

Yeah yeah... we get it. Capitalism bad, socialism good.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline

Yeah yeah... we get it. Capitalism bad, socialism good.

That's nice, but not what I said. In fact I don't believe I mentioned any branch of politics in this thread… I said I disagreed with the simplistic presentation of the issues.