Peter

Selective Service and AOS

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I may be wrong, but I thought you also had to register for selective service as a permanent resident? My uncle came from Korea 25 years ago and he was required to register in order to obtain his green card, granted it was a quarter century ago and laws may have changed...

I-130/CR1 visa

04/23/2007--NOA1 Date from CSC

10/15/2007--NOA2 Date, FINALLY!!

I-129F/K-3 visa

05/23/2007--NOA1 date, currently at NBC (MSC)

10/15/2007--APPROVED!!! (NOA2 Date)

11/09/2007--I-129F petition forwarded to U.S. Embassy in Lima, Peru

12/12/2007--interview in Lima, Peru...VISA APPROVED!!!

12/26/2007--POE was Miami, FL and final destination was Charlotte, NC

I-485/AOS and I-765/EAD

3/18/2008--NOA1 Date from MSC

4/08/2008--biometrics appointment

5/07/2008--I-765/EAD approved

5/14/2008--EAD received in the mail (albeit wrong birth year)

9/30/2008--AOS Interview...AOS APPROVED and I-551 stamped in Passport!!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

One story of what can happen if you do not register:

K-1 Fiance Selective Service?

SSS FAQs: http://sss.gov/QA.HTM

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

I may be wrong, but I thought you also had to register for selective service as a permanent resident? My uncle came from Korea 25 years ago and he was required to register in order to obtain his green card, granted it was a quarter century ago and laws may have changed...

ATTENTION, UNDOCUMENTED MALES

& IMMIGRANT SERVICING GROUPS!

If you are a man ages 18 through 25 and living in the U.S., then you must register with Selective Service. It’s the law. You can register at any U.S. Post Office and do not need a social security number. When you do obtain a social security number, let Selective Service know. Provide a copy of your new social security number card; being sure to include your complete name, date of birth, Selective Service registration number, and current mailing address; and mail to the Selective Service System, P.O. Box 94636, Palatine, IL 60094-4636.

Be sure to register before your 26th birthday. After that, it’s too late!

Selective Service does not collect any information which would indicate whether or not you are undocumented. You want to protect yourself for future U.S. citizenship and other government benefits and programs by registering with Selective Service. Do it today.

ALSO

ALIENS AND DUAL NATIONALS

U.S. non-citizens and dual nationals are required by law to register with the Selective Service System.* Most are also liable for induction into the U.S. Armed Forces if there is a draft. They would also be eligible for any deferments, postponements, and exemptions available to all other registrants.

However, some aliens and dual nationals would be exempt from induction into the military if there is a draft, depending on their country of origin and other factors. Some of these exemptions are shown below:

• An alien who has lived in the U.S. for less than one year is exempt from induction.

• A dual national whose other country of nationality has an agreement with the U.S. which specifi cally

provides for an exemption is exempt from induction.

• [some countries have agreements with the U.S. which exempt an alien national who is a citizen of

both that country and the U.S. from military service in the U.S. Armed Forces.] An alien who requests

and is exempt under an agreement or bilateral treaty can never become a U.S. citizen, and may have

trouble reentering the U.S. if he leaves.

• An alien who served at least a year in the military of a country with which the U.S. is involved in

mutual defense activities will be exempt from military service if he is a national of a country that grants reciprocal privileges to citizens of the U.S. During a draft, any claims for exemptions based on any of the above categories would be granted or denied by a man’s Local Board. Military examiners make the fi nal decision about who will be accepted into the military.

*Note: Currently, aliens cannot volunteer for the U.S. military unless they have permanent resident alienstatus.

You guys are scaring me. I never even heard of selective service until I applied for AOS, but I came to the USA when I was 25. Suddenly I'm worried that I should have registered!

Luckily it would appear that non-resident aliens of any type are not required to register, so that's me between the ages of 25 and 32! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.