Peter

Selective Service and AOS

19 posts in this topic

Ok.

:crying:

Here's the info

I AM/ 25 When i move to the states on K1.

Moved to the states Late June ON k1.

Married in sept

Turned 26 in OCT

Filled for AOS in Novemeber (late.. I Know. Sigh. was in process of moving, didn't wanna screw it up because of address changes and we all know how those address changes are :P)

So.. Now,

I'm gonna be turning 27 this oct and it just crossed me, did i need to sign up for Selective service? Anyone know? I Know SS is requirement for citizenship.. can we still apply at 26? I have no objections to applying for it. I'll be even glad to do it but wondering am i screwed for citizenship because of not knowing?

Let me know

Pete

Feb 2005 - APPROVED for K1 Visa

June - 2005 - Moved to the USA =)

Apr - 2006 - APPROVED AOS Without Interview!!

Feb - 2008 - REMOVAL of conditions!!!!!

02/20/2008 - Package was sent to TSC.

02/25/2008 - Package confirmed received at TSC.

Disclaimer: Hey, YOU! I AM NOT A LAWYER, Everything I say is my opinion based on MY EXPERIENCE.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline
Ok.

:crying:

Here's the info

I AM/ 25 When i move to the states on K1.

Moved to the states Late June ON k1.

Married in sept

Turned 26 in OCT

Filled for AOS in Novemeber (late.. I Know. Sigh. was in process of moving, didn't wanna screw it up because of address changes and we all know how those address changes are :P)

So.. Now,

I'm gonna be turning 27 this oct and it just crossed me, did i need to sign up for Selective service? Anyone know? I Know SS is requirement for citizenship.. can we still apply at 26? I have no objections to applying for it. I'll be even glad to do it but wondering am i screwed for citizenship because of not knowing?

Let me know

Pete

You don't have to worry about selective service until you become a citizen (if you go that route). If all goes well, that should be about 4 years away.

6/27/06 NOA dates for I-130, I-131, I-765, I-485

7/17/06 received biometrics appt notice

7/27/06 biometrics completed

9/7/06 AP approved

9/13/06 EAD approved

11/6/06 received appointment notice for Dec 19th

12/19/06 Interviewed, approved, received stamp in passport

12/27/06 card production ordered

01/03/07 received green card (envelope postmarked 12/30/06)

09/20/08 Mailed I-751 to remove conditions

09/26/08 NOA date

10/16/08 Received biometrics notice

10/31/08 Biometrics

03/10/09 Transferred from VSC to CSC

05/15/09 I-751 approval noticed received in mail

12/01/09 Mailed N-400 for naturalization

12/07/09 NOA date

12/15/09 Received biometrics notice

01/04/10 Biometrics

02/17/10 Interview, approval, and oath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
You don't have to worry about selective service until you become a citizen (if you go that route). If all goes well, that should be about 4 years away.

Legal Permanent Residents must register in the selective service if they are between 18 and 25 years old. Not doing so could affect future eligibility for citizenship. The OP is asking if his citizenship will be jeopardized by the fact that he did not register.

My question for the OP is: Has your AOS been approved, IOW are you now a green card holder? If you received your green card before you turned 26, then technically you should have registered. I am unsure however how this will affect your citizenship. I doubt that registering now, since you are not 25 anymore, will do any good.

From your post, it seems that you turned 26 before you even filed for AOS. If this is true, then you were not obligated to register and should be in the clear.

Edited by jenn3539

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi there!!! We had a similar situation with the selctive service. My husband came on a J1 before he turned twenty six and never was told that he had to sign up so he didn't. Then when he went on his K1 interview the officer told him to make sure that he signed up when he entered the country because that was the law. At this point he was already twenty six. So there is a website that you can go on www.sss.gov . I called the customer service line and they told me that he had to fill out a form that explains his reasoning for not signing up when he first entered the country. You can also download the form off of the website but I would call the number first so they can give you more detail. After my husband filled it out we mailed it and then only a couple weeks later they sent him a letter that says basically that he not required to sign up. This letter will make sure that nothing is affected in the future such as when he goes to register to vote they can't give him any problems. Your husband wll still be granted citizenship if he didn't correct the problem but things that he may try to do could be affected such as voting or certains jobs he might apply for. So my thoughts to you is to just contact this number ( I wish I remembered it) from the website, and fill out the form and everything should be just fine! :D If you still have questions feel free to PM me! Good Luck!

Diana

My Timeline

K1

01/09/06- pakage sent to NSC

01/11/06- NOA1

03/16/06- NOA2 approved!!!

04/03/06- arrived at NVC

04/04/06- left NVC

04/08/06- received packet 3

04/11/06- sent packet 3 to Frankfurt

04/26/06- received packet 4

05/23/06- INTERVIEW at 9:30amAPPROVED!!!!

06/01/06- visa in hand!!!

06/08/06- married in Vegas!!!

AOS/EAD

06/24/06- sent AOS and EAD package to Chicago

06/27/06- Chicago receives package

06/30/06- NOA1

07/03/06- NOA1 received in the mail

07/17/06- biometrics appt. received in mail

07/25/06- biometrics in cleveland

08/30/06- case received at CSC

08/31/06- received a new NOA1 email

09/01/06- touched AOS

09/15/06- AOS APPROVED!! got email saying welcome letter was sent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

09/20/06- welcome letter received!!! and approval email sent

09/21/06- touched and GREENCARD RECEIVED!!!!!

06/08/07- one year anniversary

06/08/08- two year anniversary

06/08/09- three year anniversary

Removal of Conditions

06/17/08- package sent to California

06/19/08- California receives package

06/19/08-NOA1

06/28/08-Biometrics appointment

07/28/08-touched

09/01/08-received non conditional green card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
My husband came on a J1 before he turned twenty six and never was told that he had to sign up so he didn't. Then when he went on his K1 interview the officer told him to make sure that he signed up when he entered the country because that was the law.

I thought that only immigrants were required to register with selective service. Therefore, a K1 being a nonimmigrant visa, one would not need to register until acquiring permanent residence.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

On the signature page of the I-485 form is the selective service information. If you signed the form you gave USCIS permission to sent name and address to the selective service..

Edited by NatHug

On the signature page of the I-485 form is the selective service information. If you signed the form you gave USCIS permission to sent name and address to the selective service..

Yes!! read the I-485

BTW... even illegal immigrats are required to register with SS

"WHO MUST REGISTER

NON-CITIZENS

Some non-citizens are required to register. Others are not. Noncitizens who are not required to register with Selective Service include men who are in the U.S. on student or visitor visas, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families. Almost all other male noncitizens are required to register, including illegal aliens, legal permanent residents, and refugees. The general rule is that if a male noncitizen takes up residency in the U.S. before his 26th birthday, he must register with Selective Service. For a more detailed list of which non-citizens must register, see Who Must Register - Chart ."

http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Other Timeline

yeah, I think its just an automatic when you send in the signed AOS applications that you're also signing up for selective service.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

yeah, I think its just an automatic when you send in the signed AOS applications that you're also signing up for selective service.

Yeah

I read the I-485 Instructions... it clearly states this :

Selective Service Registration.

If you are a male at least 18 years old, but not yet 26 yearsold, and required according to the Military Selective ServiceAct to register with the Selective Service System, USCIS willhelp you register.

When your signed application is filed and accepted by USCIS,we will transmit to the Selective Service System your name,current address, Social Security number, date of birth and thedate you filed the application. This action will enable theSelective Service System to record your registration as of thefiling date of your application.

If USCIS does not accept your application and, if still sorequired, you are responsible to register with the SelectiveService System by using other means, provided you are under26 years of age. If you have already registered, the SelectiveService System will check its records to avoid any duplication.

So, technically they should have registered me. They HAVE NOT Denied my application so I didn't need to apply personally. So..... I Guess my worries are taken care off.

Disclaimer: Hey, YOU! I AM NOT A LAWYER, Everything I say is my opinion based on MY EXPERIENCE.

Timeline

Yes. If you are under twenty six and are not a student/ exchange visitor, or tourist visitoe you are required to sign up the first time you enter the country. I am not sure how the whole sign up process goes with the K1 or AOS process because my husband was not forced to sign up because his first entry when he was under twenty six was on a J1 and they are not required to do so. Because on your initial post it looks like you came on a K1 the first time and you were under twenty six but now you are over the age limit you have to explain to the government why you didn't sign up the first time and then they make the decision as to whether they will make you do so or not. That is why you have to contact them and fill out one of those forms. My husband was lucky and they did not make him but if you don't clear this up it can like I said before it can cause you complications in the furutre with different things.

diana

My Timeline

K1

01/11/06- NOA1

04/03/06- arrived at NVC

04/04/06- left NVC

AOS/EAD

06/30/06- NOA1

09/01/06- touched AOS

09/15/06- AOS APPROVED!! got email saying welcome letter was sent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Removal of Conditions

06/19/08-NOA1

07/28/08-touched

Yes. If you are under twenty six and are not a student/ exchange visitor, or tourist visitoe you are required to sign up the first time you enter the country. I am not sure how the whole sign up process goes with the K1 or AOS process because my husband was not forced to sign up because his first entry when he was under twenty six was on a J1 and they are not required to do so. Because on your initial post it looks like you came on a K1 the first time and you were under twenty six but now you are over the age limit you have to explain to the government why you didn't sign up the first time and then they make the decision as to whether they will make you do so or not. That is why you have to contact them and fill out one of those forms. My husband was lucky and they did not make him but if you don't clear this up it can like I said before it can cause you complications in the furutre with different things.

diana

I'm confused, if you look at this chart http://www.sss.gov/MUST.HTM

IT shows a no under

Lawful non-immigrants on visas (e.g., diplomatic and consular personnel and families, foreign students, tourists with unexpired Form I-94, or Boarder Crossing Document DSP-150)

I was a laful non immigrant on a visa. (K1).....?

Tried to edit but failed :

http://www.sss.gov/QA.HTM#quest7

Are illegal alien males required to register?

Yes. All immigrant alien males, other than those admitted on nonimmigrant visas, must register, whether or not they have a green card.

Timeline

Hey Peter,

This is a little confusing for me as well because the immigration consular was the one who explained and made my husband sign a form saying that he was informed of the process to sign up for the selective service. So unless the consular doesn't know what he is talking about I would assume that K1 visa holders are required to sign up. I mean there is a possibility that he was wrong but I doubt it. If I were you I would just call the selctive service people and ask them what you are supposed to do. That is what we did and my husband eneded up not having to sign up. If you were never informed by an immigration officer that you had to sign up as a K1 visa holder than tell them that and you shouldn't be required to do so. I don't mean to make this situation more confusing for you. I am just going by our experience and what we did and were told to do. I think that by calling them you can get all the answers you need. They are very nice and it is not nearly as big of a hassle as it is to call like the USCIS is! :D

Diana

My Timeline

K1

01/11/06- NOA1

04/03/06- arrived at NVC

04/04/06- left NVC

AOS/EAD

06/30/06- NOA1

09/01/06- touched AOS

Removal of Conditions

06/19/08-NOA1

07/28/08-touched

Hey Peter,

This is a little confusing for me as well because the immigration consular was the one who explained and made my husband sign a form saying that he was informed of the process to sign up for the selective service. So unless the consular doesn't know what he is talking about I would assume that K1 visa holders are required to sign up. I mean there is a possibility that he was wrong but I doubt it. If I were you I would just call the selctive service people and ask them what you are supposed to do. That is what we did and my husband eneded up not having to sign up. If you were never informed by an immigration officer that you had to sign up as a K1 visa holder than tell them that and you shouldn't be required to do so. I don't mean to make this situation more confusing for you. I am just going by our experience and what we did and were told to do. I think that by calling them you can get all the answers you need. They are very nice and it is not nearly as big of a hassle as it is to call like the USCIS is! :D

Diana

Sigh.

I have no other choice but to call and findo ut.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I do believe it is automatic once the AOS is submitted. After Chris, the K-2, submitted his AOS, we tried to register him, but was found that he had already done so (apparently by the AOS form). He did receive a card in the mail letter, showing his registration.

David, the K-1, was too old and they didn't want him. :P

1-21-09 Getting Naturalization documents together.

smiley-995.pngsmiley-996.png

Disclaimer: i dunno nuthin bout birthin no babys, or bout imugrayshun.

Filed: Other Timeline

K1 holders are not required to sign up for selective service until/unless they later apply for adjustment of status. And as soon as you sign and send in the I-485 application to adjust status, you are in effect also registering for selective service.

K1 is a non-immigrant visa, which leads to immigration after arrival.

This is a little confusing for me as well because the immigration consular was the one who explained and made my husband sign a form saying that he was informed of the process to sign up for the selective service.

its possible that you're remembering half right, or that the consular was simply advising your husband that he will at some point after arrival need to register for selective service. To some people, this is a HUGE problem, fundamentally and philisophically, and has in fact changed a few minds about immigrating to the US. The consular was possibly just telling your then fiance so that he'd be aware before he got here.

Once you're here and you've signed that AOS form, and if you're a male under the age of 26, you're registered. No ifs ands or buts about it.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.