Kevin10

International Marriage Broker question

21 posts in this topic

I met my future spouse on www.amigos.com. Is this considered a marriage broker? What does it mean if I answer ‘yes’ to this question?

No amigos is a personals, not a marriage broker. Im under the impression that a marriage broker is more like a mail-order bride service, where there is a middle man facilitating everything.

21FUNNY.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Interesting, I met my wife on Latinamerciacupid.com and figured they were a marraige broker. Anyone else have a take on this as I am interested as well.

Doug

I-130

2006 09 06 Mailed I-130

2006 09 07 Rec'd at CA Center

2006 09 13 I-130 NOA1 receipt date

2006 11 22 NOA2, approved

2007 02 15 Case complete at NVC

2007 02 21 Case forwarded to Bogota Embassy

2007 02 23 Case received at Embassy

2007 04 12 Interview,VISA GRANTED

I-751- Removing Conditions

2009 04 08 Overnight Application

2009 04 09 Rec'd Application at CSC

2009 04 17 Rec'd NOA

2009 05 10 Called CSC - No Biometrix letter, 45 day Inquiry starts

2009 05 18 Made Info Pass appointment for June 2

2009 05 26 Rec'd response and copy of Bio Appt letter dated May 14, Appt on May 28

2009 05 27 Biometrix-walked in a day early and completed appointment

2009 06 01 Approved Conditions Removed (rec'd Congratulations letter on June 9)

2009 06 12 Touched but nothing changed on USCIS website

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The definition of IMB, under Section 833(e)(4)(A), is any corporation, individual, or legal entity, whether or not existing under the laws of the U.S., who charges fees for providing dating, matrimonial, matchmaking or social referrals or is "otherwise faciliating communication between individuals."

There are, under Section 833(e)(4)(B), TWO IMPORTANT EXCEPTIONS, : 1) "The Non-Profit": a traditional matchmaking organization of a cultural or religious nature which offers its services on a non-profit basis under law, tyically a state-registered corporation, and 2) "The Non-Primary Business with Comparable Rates": a domestic dating service or other primary service whose principal business is NOT international dating and which charges comparable rates for comparable services to all individuals, men and women, domestic and foreign.

Answering 'yes' does not preclude a denial as I've seen several here on VJ who checked 'yes' and were approved.

Go to IMBRA special topics in this forum for more info.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=126

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The following recent thread discusses this question in detail.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=31361&hl=

In our application we listed the personals website where we met, and then said that while we didn't consider it a IMB, we didn't know the legal definition. We weren't questioned on this. (At least not yet.)

Tom

Thank for for updating your timeline. (My Assistant, then edit/add my timeline.)
K1

We did the same as TomYu did. Said we met on Match.com and said that while we did not consider it to be a MB under section 'whatever' of the act - here is the contact information anyway that they would want if it was. Talk about covering all your bases.

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
I met my future spouse on www.amigos.com. Is this considered a marriage broker? What does it mean if I answer ‘yes’ to this question?

If you paid $$ for her contact information (address, email, telephone#, etc), then AMIGOS is a "marriage broker" under IMBRA laws.

Answer "YES", give their address, telephone#, sign and date the form and return your RFE.

Fernanda's Timeline

K-1

June 2, 2006 - Mailed K1 Petition

Jun 28, 2006 - NOA1

Oct 05, 2006 - NOA2 - APPROVED after 122 days

Dec 05, 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Consulate

Dec 11, 2006 - Medical Examination in Belo Horizonte

Jan 10, 2007 - Returned Packet #3 to Consulate (SEDEX-10)

Mar 13, 2007 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! We have our K-1 VISA !!

POE & Texas Wedding

Mar 27, 2007 - POE Houston, TX. No questions. Gone in 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2007 - Marriage License app

April 4, 2007 - Our Wedding Day!

April 12, 2007 - Apply for SS card with married name

April 20, 2007 - Received SS card

AOS

June 4, 2007 - Mailed AOS

June 6, 2007 - USCIS received

June 11, 2007 - NOA1 for I-485

July 18, 2007 - Biometrics completed

July 20, 2007 - Case transferred from MSC to CSC

July 31, 2007 - AOS Approved - 57 days - Without an Interview!

Aug 06, 2007 - Received Green Card in the mail today!

Jan 8, 2009 @ 8:18PM - Our son was born tonight !!

I-751 - Remove Conditions

July 11, 2009 - Certified Mail to VSC I-751 Package

July 14, 2009 - Check cleared bank

July 20, 2009 - NOA1 & 1 yr extension - Receipt date is July 14. Case# assigned

Sept 1, 2009 - Biometrics completed

Nov 25, 2009 - I-751 is approved. No Interview.

Dec 14, 2009 - 10yr Green Card arrived !

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

is it a dating service did u have to pay anything to be on the site?? if so its a marraige broker. so lets say u met on match.com u would have to show all the info prof from that site.... how ever i heards its easier to say u met in a chat and then shared your emails and then have chatted with msn or yahoo messenger or something i heard it alot more stuff they ask for.... honestly i would asnwer no and let your fiancee know that u have met on line and what not...

michelle

AOS

02/06/2007 - sent AOS and EAD to Chicago

02/14/2007 - fees came through the bank, it's rolling!!

02/20/2007 - letter for Biometrics appointment on 03/01/2007

03/01/2007 - Biometrics appointment was painless

03/10/2007 - NOA1 AOS was transferred to CSC!!!!

03/28/2007 - touched AOS

03/29/2007 - touched AOS

04/06/2007 - welcoming letter (by email)

04/11/2007 - AOS approval (by email)

04/12/2007 - 2yr. green card in hand...omg!!

06/29/2007 - bought our new house

Mr. & Mrs. Otman Elaroussi

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
is it a dating service did u have to pay anything to be on the site?? if so its a marraige broker. so lets say u met on match.com u would have to show all the info prof from that site.... how ever i heards its easier to say u met in a chat and then shared your emails and then have chatted with msn or yahoo messenger or something i heard it alot more stuff they ask for.... honestly i would asnwer no and let your fiancee know that u have met on line and what not...

michelle

Michelle, I wouldn't recommend lying to immigration under ANY circumstances. :no:

Timeline

If you are unsure, as was I regarding this question, then answer yes and add an attachment stating you were not sure if the place you met was considered a Marriage Broker by law, but you are providing the information they request in cases of Marriage Brokers.

This is what I did, and had no problems what so ever. If your not sure, it's usually better to give them the information and let them decide if it is a Marriage Broker or not... that way if they determine it is, they will already have the information, so no RFE.

3dflagsdotcomusa2fawm8fa.gif 3dflagsdotcombrazi2fawm8bu.gif

NOA1 Date Received - 5/09/2006

Petition Transfered from NSC to CSC - 6/01/2006

Touched - 6/02/2006

Touched - 6/03/2006

IMBRA RFE Received - 06/30/2006 (Dated 06/23/2006)

IMBRA RFE Delivered - 07/01/2006 (USPS Next Day)

Touched - 07/03/2006 (Email saying they sent RFE)

Touched - 07/04/2006

Touched - 07/05/2006

Touched - 07/10/2006 (Recieved RFE Response)

Touched - 07/11/2006

Touched - 07/12/2006

Touched - 07/13/2006

Touched - 08/03/2006

NOA2 Approved - 08/03/2006

Touched - 08/06/2006

NVC Entered Case into System - 08/21/2006

Consulate in Rio de Janeiro confirms receipt - 08/29/2006 (may have arrived sooner, only got around to calling today).

Fiance sent Packet 3 to Embassy (Before she actually received it) - 09/01/2006

Fiance receives actual Packet 3 - 09/06/2006

Fiance receives Packet 4 - 09/22/2006

Medical Scheduled - 11/06/2006

Interview Scheduled - 11/07/2006

Fiance should be on her way to me! 11/10/2006

Visa Approved!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
If you are unsure, as was I regarding this question, then answer yes and add an attachment stating you were not sure if the place you met was considered a Marriage Broker by law, but you are providing the information they request in cases of Marriage Brokers.

This is what I did, and had no problems what so ever. If your not sure, it's usually better to give them the information and let them decide if it is a Marriage Broker or not... that way if they determine it is, they will already have the information, so no RFE.

I am uncertain as to why people are scared to answer "Yes" to the MB question? Is there a stigma or a percieved delay that will occur because of it? There is no question that I met my lady through an MB, so I am concerned what all the fuss is about.

YMMV

Timeline

I am uncertain as to why people are scared to answer "Yes" to the MB question? Is there a stigma or a percieved delay that will occur because of it? There is no question that I met my lady through an MB, so I am concerned what all the fuss is about.

I think people worry about the interview stage.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

Is there something specific here that I should be thinking about and preparing my fiance' for when that time arrives?

YMMV

Timeline

Is there something specific here that I should be thinking about and preparing my fiance' for when that time arrives?

That's what we'd like to know. We've found some changes in how the interview goes are mentioned in the law, but we don't know how the consulates will handle IMBRA issues.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

That's what we'd like to know. We've found some changes in how the interview goes are mentioned in the law, but we don't know how the consulates will handle IMBRA issues.

Hopefully some are in the pipeline and will be able to provide insight. Other than 1 person who reported a non-event interview with his fiance' on Sept 18th at the Kiev consulate, I do not know anyone here who is close. I know of one person for sure who is ahead of me in the process and if he gets there before we have heard some reports, I will certainly post his experience but in the mean time I will "bang the bushes" for others that I might come in contact with...

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.