HeatDeath

I-751 Cover Letter and List

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks all. I have photocopies of the front and back of the GC in there, and the life and medical insurance application forms I filled out when I started my current job.

I mailed out the packet at lunch today! It's good to have it finally underway.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Thanks all. I have photocopies of the front and back of the GC in there, and the life and medical insurance application forms I filled out when I started my current job.

I mailed out the packet at lunch today! It's good to have it finally underway.

your list and your letter are impeccable. GREAT JOB!

Yours is an excellent example for others to follow.

USA NATURALIZATION CITIZEN :-------------------------------------------------------
08-13-2014 - N-400 mailed priority Phoenix lockbox
08-1x-2014 - N-400 package accepted

08-20-2014 - Check cashed

09-xx-2014 - NOA bio-metrics appointment

09-18-2014 - Bio-metrics appointment Columbus office

09-22-2014 - NOA letter scheduled interview 10-30-2014

10-30-2014 - Naturalization interview and test Columbus Ohio office.

Application changed to five year as mark reached while waiting for interview

Passed civic test and interview recommends approval !!!

10-30-2014 - NOA hand letter stating recommendation for approval and wait for letter of approval and oath
11-13-2014 - Case Status updated "We scheduled your oath ceremony"

11-14-2014 - NOA letter final interview and oath Tuesday 11-25-2014

11-25-2014 - Final red tape and oath ceremony Columbus, Ohio Officially a US Citizen!!!

- Applied US Passport at local post office

08-2016 - Received 10 year Q2 visa to visit China as a US citizen

• 1 month later...

HeatDeath, would you mind sharing the affidavit from your in-laws? I'm helping my friends with their I-751 package and they actually moved in with me couple of weeks ago. They will be my roommates for another few months. So my letter will also serve as their proof of joint residence. If you could share you affidavit with me, I would greatly appreciate it! I'm just not sure what wording should I use.

Thank you!

Green card through employment in EB2 category approved in July 2011

Timeline

HeatDeath, would you mind sharing the affidavit from your in-laws? I'm helping my friends with their I-751 package and they actually moved in with me couple of weeks ago. They will be my roommates for another few months. So my letter will also serve as their proof of joint residence. If you could share you affidavit with me, I would greatly appreciate it! I'm just not sure what wording should I use.

Thank you!

Sure, here you go:

<DATE>

To whom it may concern,

We the undersigned, affirm that our daughter, <NAME [petitioner]>, legally married <NAME [beneficiary]> on <WEDDING DATE>. They have been living as husband and wife in our home in <CITY>, <STATE>. The marriage was entered into with good faith and was not for the purpose of circumventing immigration law.

<NAME [petitioner]> and <NAME [beneficiary]> are in a committed relationship and have detailed plans and goals for their future together.

With Respect,

<NAME> and <NAME>

<ADDRESS>

_______ ____________ ____________

Name........Date of Birth........City of Birth

_______ ____________ ____________

Name........Date of Birth........City of Birth

Obviously, parts of this are quite specific to us, but you can see the general style, and how it derives strictly from the USCIS I-751 instructions:

Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by at least two people who have known both of you since your conditional residence was granted and have personal knowledge of your marriage and relationship. (Such persons may be required to testify before an immigration officer as to the information contained in the affidavit.) The original affidavit must be submitted and also contain the following information regarding the person making the affidavit: his or her full name and address; date and place of birth; relationship to you or your spouse, if any; and full information and complete details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge. Affidavits must be supported by other types of evidence listed above.

Two or more people - check.

Known us since the residence and have personal knowledge of marriage - check.

Original affidavit submitted - check.

Contains full name and address of signers - check.

Contains date and place of birth of signers - check.

Contains relationship to us - check.

Contains full info about how they acquired knowledge - my mother-in-law felt that was implicit in the cohabitation - check.

Supported by other evidence - see the above cover letter - check.

Hope this helps!

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

This is a very helpful thread. Before filing for Mrs. T-B.'s ROC, I asked a very sharp immigration attorney about the seeming requirement for affidavits. He said, "Affidavits are for people whose other evidence is very thin. Most people don't even need to think about including affidavits."

Food for thought, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Timeline

This is a very helpful thread. Before filing for Mrs. T-B.'s ROC, I asked a very sharp immigration attorney about the seeming requirement for affidavits. He said, "Affidavits are for people whose other evidence is very thin. Most people don't even need to think about including affidavits."

I'm sure this is indeed true, and in our case (complete with interview) the affadavits (which we did have) were not mentioned at all. However, they're also one of the easiest pieces of evidence to obtain if the relationship is genuine. If you can get them, its hard to see how they could do any harm - you even get the chance to vet them and decide on their inclusion yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks for all the input! We'll be starting ROC next month and I'm trying to gather info now!:thumbs:

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

• 3 months later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Thank you HeatDeath for sharing your letter. Very informative and comprehensive. Just a few questions for you... Did you both sign the letter abover your respective names or just did the sponsor sign the letter? Also, would it be advisable to get affidavits from family members or friends of the family (friends being more nonpartial, i presume)?

Timeline

We both signed our names, because it is a joint petition.

I just sent the one affidavit letter signed by both my wife's parents. I got approved in 5 months with no RoC or interview, so that must have been enough.

Honestly, with the evidence I listed, an affidavit was probably not necessary at all. Lots of people don't include them at all and do fine.

I don't think the marginal difference in perceived impartiality between friends and family makes any real difference. USCIS just want to hear from "at least two people" who are willing, if necessary, to testify under oath. I don't think the specific relationship carries much weight, and affidavits in general carry relatively little weight.

DON'T PANIC

-Douglas Coupland

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

HeatDeath,

One more question about the evidence to include....when providing copies of my wife's passport, should I provide a copy of my own as evidence? How many passport size photos are needed for both the applicant and the sponsor?

Timeline

My list shows everything we sent. The I-751 instructions do not require any passport photos, so I did not send any. Also, the I-751 instructions do not require a copy of either the beneficiary's or the petitioner's passport, so I did not send either.

Passport photocopies are only requested as proofs of citizenship (in the case of US citizens) or as identification (for the beneficiary, particularly during the I-129F petition and visa application phase). The I-751 does not require proof of the petitioner's citizenship, and they are already receiving a copy of your green card to serve as both proof of status and identification for the beneficiary, so no passport photocopies are required.

The I-751's documentation requirements are focused on, as I paraphrased in the cover letter, "verify[ing] the status of the marriage and the ongoing relationship". Unless you wish to include passport stamps showing that you and your wife traveled on an international vacation together (which incidentally would be a really good piece of evidence), your passports contribute no information regarding your ongoing relationship and are therefore not required.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.