bly

AOS Interview and travel afterwards

10 posts in this topic

Hello All...

I have some questions. Lana I weren't lucky enough to get transfered to CSC, I got our interview appointment letter a day or 2 ago. We are to be at the INS in Cincinnati Nov 16th at 10:00AM.

Here is my dilemma, once we get her AP (if we ever do!), I was going to buy her a ticket to go home and visit her family in Ukraine from November 18th to Dec 27. Her dads 50th birthday is Dec 26 and she really wants to be home for that!

Let’s say we go Nov 16th and she's approved. She should get a 551 temp stamp, but I have heard some people saying they haven't been given one. Most seem to get one, some don't. My understanding from reading other AOS posts is that if she is approved, and I see no reason for her not to be, that they will take her AP and EAD at that time. What if she doesn't get a 551 stamp, are we basically screwed and she can't leave. She's going to be unhappy and so am I, $1000 ticket down the drain. I have also read that some stamps have expired in 30 days, not 1 year. This won't work because she's planning on being gone about 40 days.

If I wait until after our appt Nov 16th to try to get her a ticket home, that's going to cost an arm and a leg.

Do they take your AP if your AOS is approved?

Do I try to get her appt rescheduled after the first of the year? (not my first choice.)

I also have the option of not getting her ticket until Nov 24th. If we go to the interview and don't come away with a way for her to travel, I would have enough time to send her ticket back to Expedia and pay the $200 to move her ticket forward whatever time is needed. Not the best solution either, but at least this is only a $200 risk, not a $1000.

Any ideas, comments, experiences or suggestions are welcome. Anyone having an AOS recently at Cincy please contact me, I'd really like to know if you got a 551 temp stamp.

Thanks,

Brad

I-129F

11-28-05 Petition Sent

11-29 Arrived at Nebraska

12-02 Check Cashed - LIN Receipt # On Check :-)

12-02 NOA1 via internet

12-05 NOA1 snail mail

12-13 NOA2 via internet (day 14)

12-16 Email: Petition Forward to Dept. Of State

12-17 NOA2 snail mail

02-22-06 Interview passed, K1 Visa approved.

02-24 Visa arrived

04-14 Arrive in America.. SHE'S HERE!

07-07 Married :-)

AOS, EAD, AP

07-14-06 Sent all 3

07-16 Delivery Confirmed (NOA's dated 07-16)

07-24 3 NOA's in the mail box. (MSC #s not online for a long time!)

07-29 Biometrics letter

08-08 Biometrics Complete.

08-28 RFE Sent For I-485??? (Sigh, this is what it takes to get your MSC # online?)

08-31 RFE Snail Mail, Missing Tax Info (which was sent the first time!)

08-31 RFE Sent back

09-08 RFE rcvd at MSC email update

09-11 Touched I-485

09-13 Touched I-485

09-21 Rcvd AOS appt letter

10-18 Sent 'Status Inquiry' snail mail about EAD/AP not online and not approved.

10-28 AP/EAD FINALLY show online... 106 days. Not complete!

10-28 AP/EAD/AOS touched.

10-31 AP/EAD/AOS touched

11-03 11-07 11-11 and 11-13 EAD touched.

11-15 Day 123 (Day 68 since the RFE) EAD approved 11-14 email! AP still waiting.

11-16 10 AM Aos approved, 2 weeks to the green card we hope!

11-16 2PM EAD card in the mail.

11-17 Email "Welcome letter"

11-20 Welcome letter in Mail

11-27 Another "Welcome" email dated 11-27, changed from 11-17

11-29-06 GC in Mail, Were done for 1.75 years!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They do not take your AP, it is valid for its duration, once you adjust you then use your GC.

My office does not stamp, sounds like in due course none will, for some reason its taking them a long time to change.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

They do not take your AP, it is valid for its duration, once you adjust you then use your GC.

My office does not stamp, sounds like in due course none will, for some reason its taking them a long time to change.

SO they take your EAD but not AP? Ohh.. this would be really good....

Anyone one else kept thier AP post AOS interview?

I-129F

11-28-05 Petition Sent

12-02 NOA1 via internet

12-05 NOA1 snail mail

12-17 NOA2 snail mail

02-24 Visa arrived

AOS, EAD, AP

07-14-06 Sent all 3

07-29 Biometrics letter

08-28 RFE Sent For I-485??? (Sigh, this is what it takes to get your MSC # online?)

08-31 RFE Sent back

09-11 Touched I-485

09-13 Touched I-485

10-18 Sent 'Status Inquiry' snail mail about EAD/AP not online and not approved.

10-31 AP/EAD/AOS touched

11-15 Day 123 (Day 68 since the RFE) EAD approved 11-14 email! AP still waiting.

Timeline

I still have my EAD, you need it until you get your GC. In my case it came within a week, some take months.

SOP.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I still have my EAD, you need it until you get your GC. In my case it came within a week, some take months.

SOP.

My understanding is they generally take your EAD with an approved AOS interview. Maybe your FBI check wasn't done???

I-129F

11-28-05 Petition Sent

12-02 NOA1 via internet

12-05 NOA1 snail mail

12-17 NOA2 snail mail

02-24 Visa arrived

AOS, EAD, AP

07-14-06 Sent all 3

07-29 Biometrics letter

08-31 RFE Sent back

09-11 Touched I-485

09-13 Touched I-485

10-31 AP/EAD/AOS touched

Filed: Other Timeline

if you're approved then and there, they are required by law to take your EAD card, and I believe any other USCIS documentation.

If your wife plans to travel a few days after your interview, just tell the interviewer and they can put the stamp in her passport. Take the ticket with you to the interview, and tell him/her that you'd feel better about her travelling with the stamp in her passport than with just a piece of paper AP.

I think they're not doing the stamps anymore because they're trying to speed up the process of getting the actual cards out. But some offices are still doing it, just because.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
I think they're not doing the stamps anymore because they're trying to speed up the process of getting the actual cards out. But some offices are still doing it, just because.

It is because of fraud.

I was told at my interview that I was approved.

Can not remember if I even took my AP, certainly not asked for it.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
if you're approved then and there, they are required by law to take your EAD card, and I believe any other USCIS documentation.

If your wife plans to travel a few days after your interview, just tell the interviewer and they can put the stamp in her passport. Take the ticket with you to the interview, and tell him/her that you'd feel better about her travelling with the stamp in her passport than with just a piece of paper AP.

Dittos with Reba here.

When it comes to PR status, you is or you isn't, there's no middle ground.

If you IS, you need evidence for travelling. Bully someone into giving you the stamp.

If you ISN'T, you need Advance Parole to avoid abandoning your status.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Dittos with Reba here.

When it comes to PR status, you is or you isn't, there's no middle ground.

If you IS, you need evidence for travelling. Bully someone into giving you the stamp.

If you ISN'T, you need Advance Parole to avoid abandoning your status.

I did ask, polite but firm I thought.

Clearly told that they did not stamp. I assume that until I received the Welcome to America letter I was still adjusting, in my case the letter and GC arrived a few days later, obviosly some wait months, seen a few which have been years.

From what I have seen posted they either do or do not stamp, I have not seen anything in the middle, but I may have missed it. If it is an office that does stamp I guess they may not unless you ask for it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.