PetrUA

Concurrent filing of I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi,

I'm going through this whole process right now, so I would like to share my experience and make sure I've done everything properly.

Background

I am a citizen of Ukraine. I am employed by the Ukrainian office of American company and came to US for a business trip using B-1 visitor visa on June 1st with expiration date on Form I-94 November 30th 2011. On September 15th I married a US citizen by birth (so we should not be affected by 30-60 days rule).

Package

Whole package was described in a cover letter, see below:

USCIS

131 South Dearborn – 3rd Floor

Chicago, IL

60603-5517

October 21, 2011

Concurrent Filing of I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative), I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status), I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization) , I-131 (Application for Travel Document)

Petitioner (U.S. Citizen): Petitioner Name and Last Name

Beneficiary (Alien Spouse): Beneficiary Name and Last Name

Dear Sir/ Madam:

Please kindly find enclosed concurrent filing of forms: I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative), I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status), I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization), I-131 (Application for Travel Document).

Contents include:

1. Check in the amount of US$420 for I-130

2. Check in the amount of US$1,070 for I-485

3. Form G1145 E-Notification of application/petition acceptance

4. I-130 Petition For Alien Relative

• Copy of US Citizen’s birth certificate

• Copy of US Citizen’s passport

• Copy of marriage certificate

• G325A signed by US Citizen

• G325A signed by beneficiary

• Passport photo of US Citizen (attached with a paper clip to Form I-130 and signed)

• Passport photo of beneficiary (attached with a paper clip to Form I-130 and signed)

• Evidence of Bona fide Marriage

- Copy of joint bank account information

- Affidavit for Bona Fide Marriage by third party US Citizen

- Copy of rent payments bank account information

- Picture that document relationship and marriage

5. I-485 Application To Register Permanent Residence Or Adjust Status

• Continuation pages for Form I-485

• Copy of Birth Certificate with English translation

• Copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa

• 2 passport photos of beneficiary (attached with a paper clip to Form I-485 and signed)

• Form I-693 Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record (Completed by a Civil Surgeon sealed in an envelope)

• G325A signed by beneficiary

• Copy of I-94 Form (front and back)

6. I-765 Application For Employment Document

• 2 passport photos of beneficiary (attached with a paper clip to Form I-765 and signed)

7. I-131 Application For Travel Document

• Explanation showing circumstances that warrant issuance of an Advance Parole Document

• 2 passport photos of beneficiary (attached with a paper clip to Form I-131 and signed)

Signature of Petitioner: Date:

Process and actions made

On October 22nd the whole package was sent via US Mail Express Mail to the address shown above. The cost for the whole package was about $18. On Monday using the US Mail tracker I got a confirmation of delivery at 11:00 AM.

On October 27th my wife received 4 email notifications saying that our forms have been received by the USCIS and are forwarded for further processing. It also said that we should receive paper I-797 Notice of Action within next 7-10 days.

Questions

1. When I was filing form I-485 I stated that I had military training during my study in the university. I have added 3 continuation pages explaining the circumstances. How likely is this to affect the process?

2. From what I've realized it is not mandatory to file the Form I-864 Affidavit of Support concurrently with I-485. The Petitioner will be notified when filing of I-864 is required. As at this moment my wife doesn't meet the 125% requirements we will file this form later, in a couple of month. Please confirm or correct.

3. My I-94 expires on November 30. Will I have to leave the country knowing that our adjustment of status papers are being processed?

4. What are the next steps and what should we be concerned about?

I hope this description would be helpful for others. Your comments and suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Well, your process is about to be halted and delayed because of the missing I-864 form.. It is mandatory and required from all who adjust status based on marriage, and your AOS won't move anywhere until you submit that. You will get an RFE, for which you'll be given a certain amount of time to respond to, or your case will be denied. Within that time you will have to come up with a way to meet the income requirements - so if your wife does not meet them, you will need an additional sponsor.

You are in a period of authorized stay until you have a decision on your AOS, so the expiration of your I-94 is not a problem at this point. If your application is denied, for whatever reason, you will have to leave the country immediately.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Also, you should NOT leave the country until you receive AP. Doing so would abandon your application.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Timeline

Also, you should NOT leave the country until you receive AP. Doing so would abandon your application.

Both responses are correct. DO NOT Leave the USA until you have authorization. You will get an RFE for the I-864. Your wife needs to be earning at least 125% of the poverty guidleine by that time or she will need a joint sponsor

Your military experience will not affect anything (good or bad) but you WILL need to submit your military record and discharge papers. If you did nto do this, get them now because they will also be requested in the RFE.

I -94 is no longer of any consequence. The filing of the AOS is now your approval to stay until it is adjusicated

Wait for an RFE, follow the instructions. You are doing fine so far.

I will only say also that you should be prepared to show you did not intend to get married and file for AOS when you entered on business. If that is what you did, it is visa fraud and you can be denied and barred from any visas. I am not saying that will happen, just that you need to be prepared for that.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Update:

On October 28th I got 4 envelopes each containing I-797 for each of 4 forms I've submitted. On November 1st another letter came setting up a biometrics appointment for November 14th.

So far everything is going alright.

However, we are still in the process of figuring out how to meet requirements of I-864 form. So the most important question is how much time will we have to find a sponsor or insufficient cash?

Would really appreciate any feedback about this question, thanks in advance.

Update:

On October 28th I got 4 envelopes each containing I-797 for each of 4 forms I've submitted. On November 1st another letter came setting up a biometrics appointment for November 14th.

So far everything is going alright.

However, we are still in the process of figuring out how to meet requirements of I-864 form. So the most important question is how much time will we have to find a sponsor or insufficient cash?

Would really appreciate any feedback about this question, thanks in advance.

Here is the memo from USCIS regarding response time from this July: http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Outreach/Feedback%20Opportunities/Interim%20Guidance%20for%20Comment/change-timeframes-rfe.pdf

Basically, once you receive your RFE you will typically have 84 days to respond. That means that your RFE needs to be received by USCIS by day 84, not mailed by day 84. When exactly your RFE will show up is unknown, but I'd get searching for a co-sponsor ASAP as if you don't find one and respond before your RFE deadline your application will be denied.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Timeline

Thank you ceadsearc!

I've got another challenging question, please let me know your opinion!

Instructions for Form I-864 show that my income can be considered if I can provide the proof that my source of income remains after the immigration. However, at this moment I am officially employed in the Ukrainian office of my company.

Q1. Can I show my income that I get in Ukraine to meet 125% of Poverty Guidelines?

Q2. Let's assume that my Ukrainian income doesn't count. In theory, I can arrange my relocation to US office, so I would be able to show the needed amount. BUT I don't have a work permit, as I have just filed all the papers, and my I-765 is still being processed. With that being said, is there a way for me to add my income to the Affidavit of Support? Can I be officially employed, i.e. get I-765 prior to submitting I-864?

Thank you in advance, this forum is awesome!

Timeline

I had a biometrics appointment today scheduled for 11:00 AM, the whole procedure took about 30 minutes. Now I'll be waiting for their next mail. Meanwhile, it would be great to get any kind of feedback regarding my previous 2 questions. Thank you in advance!

Thank you ceadsearc!

I've got another challenging question, please let me know your opinion!

Instructions for Form I-864 show that my income can be considered if I can provide the proof that my source of income remains after the immigration. However, at this moment I am officially employed in the Ukrainian office of my company.

Q1. Can I show my income that I get in Ukraine to meet 125% of Poverty Guidelines?

Q2. Let's assume that my Ukrainian income doesn't count. In theory, I can arrange my relocation to US office, so I would be able to show the needed amount. BUT I don't have a work permit, as I have just filed all the papers, and my I-765 is still being processed. With that being said, is there a way for me to add my income to the Affidavit of Support? Can I be officially employed, i.e. get I-765 prior to submitting I-864?

Thank you in advance, this forum is awesome!

Sadly, you can't self sponsor. It is the reason why they need affidavit of support, to make sure you are supported by the petitioner. I really encourage you to find a co-sponsor before the RFE coming. The more delay you submit the RFE, the longer you have to wait for your interview appointment. Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Nancy, thank you for your reply.

On Friday, November 18th, received a letter with a request for i-864 dated November 9th and due in 87 days. It has also said that my I-765 form will be processed within 90 days after providing the missing form.

My wife made her last year tax return statement and it is about $5500, the missing amount is $13,000*5 = $65,000. My parents might be able to help me here and make a bank account in the Ukrainian bank with the needed money.

Will it work as an affidavit of support? What are the details to keep in mind?

The other option with employment - I've read that my income can be considered if I can prove that I'll keep the same source of income after the immigration. My company may be willing to help me out. What kind of proof do they need to provide? Would it be sufficient to provide a letter explaining that I will be employed in the American company right after I receive my work permit and make enough for us both to meet 125% threshold?

Would really appreciate any thought and comments, thanks!

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Your parents can't file a I-864 for you. the requirements for a sponsor are:

Sponsorship Requirements

A sponsor must be at least 18 years old and either an American citizen or a lawful permanent resident (LPR). The sponsor must also have a domicile (residence) in the United States.

(Taken from the USCIS website)

Your company should provide you with a letter of employment that shows their intent to continue employing you, a copy of the social security/taxes they have paid for you for maybe the last two years and copy of your contract with them. (you'll probably need that translated).

All done ;-)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Just another comment. Your wife should also fill out an I-864, even if her income isn't enough, because she is petitioning for you. We submitted an I-864 for my husband (didn't qualify) then his sister who is also a US citizen.

Our visa journey:

07/18/11 :: Day 000 Package received at Chicago Lockbox

07/20/11 :: Day 002 Received email/text message notification

07/26/11 :: Day 008 Received Hard Copy NOA1 (I-485 & I-765)

08/12/11 :: Day 025 Received Biometrics Appointment

08/19/11 :: Day 032 Biometrics appointment 11am

09/13/11 :: Day 057 EAD Card Production Ordered

09/19/11 :: Day 063 EAD Card Sent

09/22/11 :: Day 065 USPS left notice couldn't deliver EAD (at old address)

10/07/11 :: Day 081 Appointment letter sent

10/11/11 :: Day 085 Appointment letter received (at new address)

10/13/11 :: Day 087 Congressman's office got tracking number of EAD

10/21/11 :: Day 101 EAD sent back to USCIS

10/25/11 :: Day 105 EAD resent (current address)

10/27/11 :: Day 107 EAD Card Received

11/16/11 :: Day 121 Interview - Approved and card production ordered!

11/25/11 :: Day 130 GC arrived in the mail

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I read that here somewhere - can't find it right now though. I don't think either option is going to be an issue. A is okay if you file concurrently use other if it makes you feel more comfortable.

All done ;-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.