Danielle n Uriel

I-134 affidavit of support

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Goodmorning all!

With all the approvals lately i'm thinking we should be gathering some answers to questions so that when our approval comes! (YAY) We will be prepared.

When you gather income requirements and evidence of it etc... do they look at Gross income or Net? Is it the yearly amount they look at? or what your employer says you will make in a year? (example: I have been at my full time job since March after graduating from college, will they look at only my income since march as full time? or will they look at what my employer says i will make in a year at my permanant stable job?)

I have also only had to file 1 year of tax returns so far (wasn't required the other years). How do i handle that? I do have a car worth about $2000 and about $800 in bonds (value now) and my income now is about $10,000 above the poverty line.

I don't really have much in savings (many trips to mexico!)

Think i'll have a problem? Anyone have a similar circumstance?

Also, my fiance has a job offer for when he gets here. Can that count anywhere?

Thanks for taking the time to look at all my questions!

Dios te Bendiga!

February - March 2002 we met in Mexico

August 2002 - we are an 'official' couple

Many visits back to Mexico over 4years!

June 2006 - Officially Engaged!

August 28, 2006 I-129F mailed to Nebraska

August 30, 2006 received in Nebraska

September 7, 2006 NOA1 Notice Date

September 11, 2006 NOA1 received in snail mail

September 12, 2006 Touched (most likely to add Receipt Number to system)

September 13, 2006 Touched

September 14, 2006 Touched AGAIN!!! (what's up with this?)

Novemberr 13, 2006 NOA2 (77 DAYS!) YEEEE HAAAAA!!!!

December 6, 2006 Received Notice that everything was sent to Juarez

January 26, 2007 Juarez sends out packet

February 3, 2007 received packet from Juarez

February 6, 2007 going to medical & interview in Juarez!

February 6, 2007 RECEIVED VISA!!!

February 9, 2007 FLIGHT TO US!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You need to show assets if income falls below 125% poverty line, you can find out what that is by looking at the table on form I-864P http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/for...iles/I-864p.pdf

If your income is 10,000 above the line then your income is more than enough and need not show assets and just place a zero on those lines of the I-134.

The number on your tax return that they are interested in is the adjusted gross income, typically the number at bottom of 1040 page 1 and top of page 2.

You need only to provide them with, last years tax return it is recommended to get a tax transcript from the IRS, this is free. A letter from your employer, and copies of pay stubs from past few pay periods.

Note read the instructions included with form I-134.

II. Supporting Evidence.

As the sponsor, you must show you have sufficient income and/or financial resources to assure that the alien you are sponsoring will not become a public charge while in the United States.

Evidence should consist of copies of any or all of the following documentation listed below that are applicable to your situation.

Failure to provide evidence of sufficient income and/or financial resources may result in the denial of the alien's application for a visa or his removal from the United States.

The Sponsor must submit in duplicate evidence of income and resources, as appropriate:

A. Statement from officer of the bank or other fincial institution where you have deposits, giving the following details regarding your account:

1. Date account opened;

2. Total amount deposited for the past year;

3 Present balance.

B. Statement of your employer on business stationary, showing:

1. Date and nature of employment;

2. Salary paid;

3. Whether the position is temporary or permanent.

C. If self-employed:

1. Copy of last income tax return filed; or

2. Report of commercial rating concern.

D. List containing serial numbers and denomination of bonds and name of record owner(s).

Note: Where the instructions says and/or the "OR" means can be one or the other. If your income is sufficient provide them with the evidence that they need, example Copy of last 1-3 years tax returns, past 6 month's pay stubs, and letter from employer.

Tax transcripts are acceptable in place of tax returns.

The job offer will help, though I would suggest that the wording in the letter is very specific and mentions that he will be hired upon receiving the appropriate work authorization documents.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I think that maybe i wasn't clear enough in my question. My tax return does not show my 'current' income. ONly my part time job while i was in college. I have only been at my new job since March of this year and thus have not filed a tax return for this income yet. The '$10,000 above poverty' income is what i will make this year.

I have read all the instructions but still these questions remain.

thanks!

You need to show assets if income falls below 125% poverty line, you can find out what that is by looking at the table on form I-864P http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/for...iles/I-864p.pdf

If your income is 10,000 above the line then your income is more than enough and need not show assets and just place a zero on those lines of the I-134.

The number on your tax return that they are interested in is the adjusted gross income, typically the number at bottom of 1040 page 1 and top of page 2.

You need only to provide them with, last years tax return it is recommended to get a tax transcript from the IRS, this is free. A letter from your employer, and copies of pay stubs from past few pay periods.

Note read the instructions included with form I-134.

II. Supporting Evidence.

As the sponsor, you must show you have sufficient income and/or financial resources to assure that the alien you are sponsoring will not become a public charge while in the United States.

Evidence should consist of copies of any or all of the following documentation listed below that are applicable to your situation.

Failure to provide evidence of sufficient income and/or financial resources may result in the denial of the alien's application for a visa or his removal from the United States.

The Sponsor must submit in duplicate evidence of income and resources, as appropriate:

A. Statement from officer of the bank or other fincial institution where you have deposits, giving the following details regarding your account:

1. Date account opened;

2. Total amount deposited for the past year;

3 Present balance.

B. Statement of your employer on business stationary, showing:

1. Date and nature of employment;

2. Salary paid;

3. Whether the position is temporary or permanent.

C. If self-employed:

1. Copy of last income tax return filed; or

2. Report of commercial rating concern.

D. List containing serial numbers and denomination of bonds and name of record owner(s).

Note: Where the instructions says and/or the "OR" means can be one or the other. If your income is sufficient provide them with the evidence that they need, example Copy of last 1-3 years tax returns, past 6 month's pay stubs, and letter from employer.

Tax transcripts are acceptable in place of tax returns.

The job offer will help, though I would suggest that the wording in the letter is very specific and mentions that he will be hired upon receiving the appropriate work authorization documents.

February - March 2002 we met in Mexico

August 2002 - we are an 'official' couple

Many visits back to Mexico over 4years!

June 2006 - Officially Engaged!

August 28, 2006 I-129F mailed to Nebraska

August 30, 2006 received in Nebraska

September 7, 2006 NOA1 Notice Date

September 11, 2006 NOA1 received in snail mail

September 12, 2006 Touched (most likely to add Receipt Number to system)

September 13, 2006 Touched

September 14, 2006 Touched AGAIN!!! (what's up with this?)

Novemberr 13, 2006 NOA2 (77 DAYS!) YEEEE HAAAAA!!!!

December 6, 2006 Received Notice that everything was sent to Juarez

January 26, 2007 Juarez sends out packet

February 3, 2007 received packet from Juarez

February 6, 2007 going to medical & interview in Juarez!

February 6, 2007 RECEIVED VISA!!!

February 9, 2007 FLIGHT TO US!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I believe they make a determination, based on a number of factors, about the sponsor's ability to support the immigrant, so the government won't have to!

A letter from your employer will state that your position is "full-time, permanent." It will show your gross annual salary, which is how they begin to decide if you're above the poverty line. Your pay stubs show your net, but are not a factor. Stubs simply show that you're a reliable wage earner.

If you have a bond, it can count as assets. Your car will not count.

If you filed a tax return, get a free transcipt of it by calling the IRS. If that return was not for 2005, be prepared to explain why you were not required to file last year.

The I-134 has been referred to as a "moral obligation" to suport the immigrant. It's the I-864 that will be more than just a promise. It will be legally binding, for many years, whether you stay married or not.

Nevertheless, you'll need to swear before a notary that your I-134 information is true. And you'll need photocopies of everything, since you might need the originals when it's time to complete the greencard processs.

I'm not an expert, but suggest you get a co-sponsor. If they raise an eyebrow about your abiliity to sponsor, you'll have back-up. If you're lucky, the co-sponsor's I-134 will never have to come out of your bag.

One last thing. Embassies differ, so check with folks who've already gone through yours.

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Timeline
I think that maybe i wasn't clear enough in my question. My tax return does not show my 'current' income. ONly my part time job while i was in college. I have only been at my new job since March of this year and thus have not filed a tax return for this income yet. The '$10,000 above poverty' income is what i will make this year.

I have read all the instructions but still these questions remain.

thanks!

In that case you may want a letter from the bank showing deposits. The letter from the employer stating what your annual income is, job status, job description on company letterhead, and past 6 months pay stubs. The letter from employer and pay stubs should prove your current income level.

Sample letter:

[ON COMPANY LETTER HEAD]

Hitting the Road Trucking

222 Plaza Place

Otthereville, Ma 90000

May 22, 20xx

To Whom It May Concern:

Ron Goodley has been an employee of Hitting the Road Trucking since September 4 20xx, a total of over five years, He as a full-time position as a driver. His salary is $45,000 per year. This position is permanent, and Ron's prospects for performance-based advancement and salary increases are excellent.

Very truly yours,

[signature]

Bob Bossman

Personnel Manager

Hitting the Road Trucking.

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

P.S. If you started the visa journey recently, there's always the possibility that you'll be waiting for your interview early next year. You might be able to file your 2006 tax return as early as possible, since it will show you making a good income.

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Yes this is what I hope for also...06 return

Ok ..But what I find weird is I can find no place on the I-134 that says you need your Tax returns.. only as stated above...

and/or

Pay Stubs

Employment letter

Bank Letter..

Nothing about Tax Returns... Is this something that comes in Packet 3 or 4 ????

But I do agree if you can have a sponser letter in the bag in case you need it.

P.S. If you started the visa journey recently, there's always the possibility that you'll be waiting for your interview early next year. You might be able to file your 2006 tax return as early as possible, since it will show you making a good income.

9/14 2006 I-129F Sent Next day Air

9/15 Recieved and signed for by "Freeman" at NSC

9/19 NOA1 CSC Recieved

9/25 Notice date Check cashed 9/25

9/28 I Recieved NOA1(I-797C) in the mail

12/5 NOA2 12/6 but Approved on 12/5 touch

12/9 Received NOA2(I-797) by snail mail

12/15 NVC has received it..Case # issued...

12/19 NVC shipped to Romania

12/22 Romanian Embassy has received an email from NVC that my Petition is on it's way...

12/29 Packet 3 sent to Veronica

1/12 2007 Packet 3 received Dang Holidays..

1/22 Sending all paperwork(I-134,Bank/Employer letters etc..,)..to Veronica per DHL, 3.5lbs...$144 WOW!

1/25 Recieved notice that She needs to pick up my packet in Chisinau..

1/26 Sending Back Packet 3

2/16 Transit Visa to go to Romania for the Interview approved..

2/20 Leaves for Bucharest overnight drive by bus...

2/21 Medical

2/22 Interview !!!! APPROVED !!!!!

3/9 2007 Flight to me....

4/7 2007 Married,,,

AOS

7/27 Sent I-485, I-864, I-765

7/30 Chicago Recieved I-485,I-765

Veronica is pregant....Due 4/17/08

9/1 Recieved NOA Bio appointment letter

9/8 Recieved NOA1's for both I-485 and I-765

9/18 Bio appointment

Received Green Card.. Nov 2007

Djuliann came 4/25/2008

I-751 Lifting Of Conditions

9/8/2009 Sent I-751

Received NOA 9/21 NOA Receipt Date 9/10/2009

9/24 received Bio letter Dated 9/18

10/9 Bio Appointment

10/23 Received Permanent Resident Card

N-400 2012

Filed for citizenship sent 2/21/2012

Filed: Timeline

hello everyone....

I have a question about the I-134. I dont make enough to support my husband...I only make 9 bucks an hour, and i only have a couple thousand dollars in the bank. I have never filed for tax because i was never required to. so how in the world do i go about support him. i know my brother will help me in any way possible...he maks enough. so what do we do from here......what form does he fill out and what form do i fill out???

thanks

Timeline
hello everyone....

I have a question about the I-134. I dont make enough to support my husband...I only make 9 bucks an hour, and i only have a couple thousand dollars in the bank. I have never filed for tax because i was never required to. so how in the world do i go about support him. i know my brother will help me in any way possible...he maks enough. so what do we do from here......what form does he fill out and what form do i fill out???

thanks

You should have filed a tax return even though you made less than required, you may want to consult an accountant about how to file back tax returns. You can still request a transcript from the IRS even for verification of non-filing. Get a co sponsor, you will fill out an I-134, and your co-sponsor will also fill out an I-134

Filed: Other Timeline

The OP is filing looking at the I-134, not the I-864.

The figure the used by adjudicators (when you go get to the 864 stage) is line 22 of the 1040. Not the bottom figure on Page 1.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.