GaryC

Any Chefs out there?

8 posts in this topic

I thought I would try something different. I bought a 5 pound prime rib. I have never cooked one before and I don't want to mess up a $40 piece of meat. I bought something called "prime rib rub" but I have no idea what temp, how long ect....

Also, how do you get the au juse?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Well, the BEST way is on a rotisserie. If you don't have one of those, here are a couple of ways in the oven:

There is the slow method where the oven temperature is set around 200 to 225 degrees and the meat is cooked at a rate of 23 to 24 minutes per pound.

The second and probably the most popular is using a medium heat of 325 degrees and cooking for 17 to 20 minutes per pound.

Another method (considered best) is a searing method where the roast is cooked at 450 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, or until slightly browned and then at 325 degrees for 14 to 17 minutes per pound or until the meat thermometer reaches 5 degrees under desired temperature. This is because the internal temperature will continue to rise about 5 degrees after it is removed from the oven. Remember, if the meat thermometer is placed properly it will tell you when your roast is ready.

The au jus will be made by merely adding some water to the juices after cooking.

Bon Appetit! :thumbs:

1-21-09 Getting Naturalization documents together.

smiley-995.pngsmiley-996.png

Disclaimer: i dunno nuthin bout birthin no babys, or bout imugrayshun.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Before coming to Japan I worked as a cook for 6 years. Any time we cooked whole meats we would place in the pan, add a little water to bottom, add the seasonings meant for the type of meat you are cooking and place onions cut into wedges, a long stalk of celery cut in 3 pieces(include the leaves) and cover the pan with foil (tent style)meaning leave room on top of meat so the foil isnt tight or touching the meat. You will get enough juices from this and the flavor is great. Slow cooking is good. We generally cooked our meats for 2-4 pending ontype of meat. Use a meat thermometer to indicate when prime rib is cooked to the safe temprature for that meat. Good luck and ENJOY ( I'm drooling over the thought of it now) lol

after the meat is complete you can disgard the onions and celery.

ARR.jpgaug06ayeshaB.jpg

Meeting Online: Yahoo chartroom Aug 2001.

Direct meeting & marriage: Dec 2003 USA, NY

I-130 petition in DCFR Tokyo: March 14th 2004. Case reffered to DHS USCIS

Four visits to japan in 2004: Oct 2004, wife got pragnant.

Wife/Fiance left USA and moved into Japan: Feb 5th 2005.

Baby Born: June 24th 2005(Japan)

I-130 denied: July 17 2005(Divorce was declared not valid)

Refiling Divorce: oJuly 17th 2005 NY State.

Divorce granted: Nov 17th 2005

K-1 application: Mar 1st 2006

Approval: May 23rd 2006

US consulate RFE: June 15th 2006

FRE sent (Original passports, birth certificate, all origional docs): July 10th 2006

Medical: Oct 11th 2006.

Interview: Nov 10th 2006(expected)

Filed: Timeline
Well, the BEST way is on a rotisserie. If you don't have one of those, here are a couple of ways in the oven:

There is the slow method where the oven temperature is set around 200 to 225 degrees and the meat is cooked at a rate of 23 to 24 minutes per pound.

The second and probably the most popular is using a medium heat of 325 degrees and cooking for 17 to 20 minutes per pound.

Another method (considered best) is a searing method where the roast is cooked at 450 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, or until slightly browned and then at 325 degrees for 14 to 17 minutes per pound or until the meat thermometer reaches 5 degrees under desired temperature. This is because the internal temperature will continue to rise about 5 degrees after it is removed from the oven. Remember, if the meat thermometer is placed properly it will tell you when your roast is ready.

The au jus will be made by merely adding some water to the juices after cooking.

Bon Appetit! :thumbs:

Hmm I'd not dilute the meat juices with water...but Minor's makes a fairly good DemiGlace which is very nice and easy to prepare. If not, this is a good au jus recipe...

Ingredients:

1 carrot, coarsely chopped

1 celery stalk, coarselyy chopped

1 large onion, coarsely chopped

4 cups water

4 beef-flavored bouillon cubes

Directions:

In saucepan, combine carrot, celery, onion, parsley and water. Bring to boiling; stir in bouillon cubes until dissolved. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Strain broth and reserve; discard vegetables. Pour off and reserve drippings from roast; pour broth into pan. Bring to boiling; stirring to loosen brown bits; simmer 5 minutes. Serve with prime rib.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

You're making my mouth water. All I know is that I like my steak medium rare....mmmmm. I just had a New York Strip at Chili's last weekend....grrrrrrrrrrrrr... delicious!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Hmm I'd not dilute the meat juices with water...but Minor's makes a fairly good DemiGlace which is very nice and easy to prepare. If not, this is a good au jus recipe...

Ingredients:

4 cups water

Directions:

In saucepan, combine carrot, celery, onion, parsley and water. Bring to boiling; stir in bouillon cubes until dissolved. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Strain broth and reserve; discard vegetables. Pour off and reserve drippings from roast; pour broth into pan. Bring to boiling; stirring to loosen brown bits; simmer 5 minutes. Serve with prime rib.

I was recommending only a bit of water since he already mentioned he was using a rub....it shouldn't really need anything else.

Don't forget the horseradish! :thumbs:

1-21-09 Getting Naturalization documents together.

smiley-995.pngsmiley-996.png

Disclaimer: i dunno nuthin bout birthin no babys, or bout imugrayshun.

Ingredients:

4 cups water

Directions:

I was recommending only a bit of water since he already mentioned he was using a rub....it shouldn't really need anything else.

Don't forget the horseradish! :thumbs:

Horseradish!! I forgot that!! I will stop and get some tomorrow!!

Thanks guys!!

I dont know how to cook prime rib but i sure can make a mean microwave dinner lol..

Citizenship

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

CIS Office : San Francisco CA

Date Filed : 2008-06-11

NOA Date : 2008-06-18

Bio. Appt. : 2008-07-08

Citizenship Interview

USCIS San Francisco Field Office

Wednesday, September 10,2008

Time 2:35PM