michellek1976

URGENT ADVICE PLEASE!

24 posts in this topic

We all agree that the vulnerable account number needs to be blacked out, minus the last four digits.

Does it really matter if you block out the acct. #, since they can get all your info with the SSN anyway?

I'm not beating a dead horse here, really - I'm going to be going this pretty soon with David and I know he is VERY CONCERNED with identity theft.

Me? I'm Canadian - I'm trusting.

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Funny, I posed this question last Sunday, as I was wrapping up my package to send out. I had made copies of half a dozen credit card statements, having blacked out account numbers and balance amounts, and putting post its over the bulk of my charges before copying.

I woke up that morning looked at these copies and began to wonder if it was too much of a red flag "hiding" all this stuff. During the day I downloaded my online account statements for most of the months and reprinted them.

After talking to my fiance I went with sending the non-blanked out statements - my viewpoint: who cares what they see. My account numbers were x'd out on the online statements anyhow. Besides, thay have my SSN!

I-129F

9-18-06 mailed I-129F to Texas !!!

10-02-06 NOA1 date CSC

12-26-06 APPROVED NOA2!!!

02-20-07 K1 VISA APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

05-12-07 MARRIED !!!!!!

AOS

06-11-07 mailed package !!!!

06-18-07 NOAs for I-485, I-765, I-131

09-21-07 GC received!!!!!

I-751 - gathering documents to send Jun 09

06-02-09 mail I-751 package !!!

06-05-09 I-751 rec'd at VSC - the clock starts now

06-08-09 I-751 NOA date

07-09-09 Biometrics

10-20-09 date of approval letter, rec'd 10-24-09

I agree about the fact that if they have our SSN in hands, nothing else really matter.

As far as Im concerned, I blacked-out my bank account numbers on a paper and you could still read it with the right light reflection because of the type of ink the institution uses to print it.... Its almost glowing out of the black marker!

Like if it was worthed to...rofl

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Filed: Other Timeline

William, you're very wrong on this.

Privacy needs to be firmly guarded/protected by the individual. The government is not in the business of protecting your privacy. You, as an individual, must do everything to protect your own privacy if you want to actually have any privacy.

BLACK OUT EVERYTHING unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary. It's the individual's duty to protect his or her own privacy.

TomYu,

My first disagreement with your usual cogent advice. Everyone seems to have a significant level of paranoia about providing a bank statement or credit card bill, with extraneous information included.

The risk here is the account number, nothing more.

If one starts "redacting" the document, the value of it as evidence decreases exponentially.

For all contributors to this thread: What is the risk in leaving purchase information in the document?

We all agree that the vulnerable account number needs to be blacked out, minus the last four digits.

What USCIS wants is evidence of the visit, nothing more. I'm not particularly worried about identity theft. I WOULD want to make my partner happy. Thus I'd get out the marker for his benefit.

Tom

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

Sirlancelot,

Well, you are in the minority. I have been cautious with my information, yet not paranoid.

Having used credit cards all over the world, my information has never been compromised.

Anyone who believes that sending USCIS their credit card or bank statement, with only the account number blacked out, is a bit paranoid.

I heard Macy's is running a sale on tin foil hats this weekend. :lol:

William, you're very wrong on this.

Privacy needs to be firmly guarded/protected by the individual. The government is not in the business of protecting your privacy. You, as an individual, must do everything to protect your own privacy if you want to actually have any privacy.

BLACK OUT EVERYTHING unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary. It's the individual's duty to protect his or her own privacy.

TomYu,

My first disagreement with your usual cogent advice. Everyone seems to have a significant level of paranoia about providing a bank statement or credit card bill, with extraneous information included.

If one starts "redacting" the document, the value of it as evidence decreases exponentially.

For all contributors to this thread: What is the risk in leaving purchase information in the document?

What USCIS wants is evidence of the visit, nothing more. I'm not particularly worried about identity theft. I WOULD want to make my partner happy. Thus I'd get out the marker for his benefit.

Tom

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

William, it's OK for people to disagree about this. Some people don't mind sending it all in for anyone to see, others want to black things out.

I say, have that be OK & don't invent paranoia that doesn't support your side, like "ooh, blacked out stuff must mean you have something bad to hide!". That's just as tinfoil hat as you see the other side being. :)

All that said, I blacked things out on evidence I sent in and no one asked a question, batted an eyelid or delayed my various cases in the least.

If it matters at all, perhaps it only matters to the individual sending the stuff in. If OP's fella wants it blacked, why not let him?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
TomYu,

Tom

You and I are both current/former government employees. We apparently have very different experiences in this realm. When I submit travel expenses, the department administrator and the accounting department EXPECT me to cross out everything that is not relevant. This does not reduce the value of evidence at all in my case. Your case may, of course, vary.

Second, note that my concern is more for the relationship. If one wants to maximize the chance of acceptance (at the risk to the relationship), send it in unedited. If one wants to maximize the benefit to ther relationship (at the risk of another RFE), edit away. I would tend to err in favor of the relationship. I think personal feelings vary substantially, which could naturally result in different trade-offs.

FYI - I had plenty of evidence without sending in any credit card statements, so didn't face this challenge.

Tom

Edited by TomYu

Thank for for updating your timeline. (My Assistant, then edit/add my timeline.)
K1

William, it's OK for people to disagree about this. Some people don't mind sending it all in for anyone to see, others want to black things out.

I say, have that be OK & don't invent paranoia that doesn't support your side, like "ooh, blacked out stuff must mean you have something bad to hide!". That's just as tinfoil hat as you see the other side being. :)

All that said, I blacked things out on evidence I sent in and no one asked a question, batted an eyelid or delayed my various cases in the least.

If it matters at all, perhaps it only matters to the individual sending the stuff in. If OP's fella wants it blacked, why not let him?

meauxna,

OK, fair enough. Everyone has their own perception on this issue.

With that said, each person should do what is right for them. No right or wrong answers, just personal preference. :thumbs:

You and I are both current/former government employees. We apparently have very different experiences in this realm. When I submit travel expenses, the department administrator and the accounting department EXPECT me to cross out everything that is not relevant. This does not reduce the value of evidence at all in my case. Your case may, of course, vary.

Second, note that my concern is more for the relationship. If one wants to maximize the chance of acceptance (at the risk to the relationship), send it in unedited. If one wants to maximize the benefit to ther relationship (at the risk of another RFE), edit away. I would tend to err in favor of the relationship. I think personal feelings vary substantially, which could naturally result in different trade-offs.

FYI - I had plenty of evidence without sending in any credit card statements, so didn't face this challenge.

Tom

Tom,

In my case, I had a Government travel card (GTC); all expenses were official. Therefore, I do not have experience with that.

Re: relationship - I agree, the needs of the relationship are paramount and override everything else.

Like you, I had plenty of evidence as well. I did not send credit card statements supporting our case.

As I said above, I believe each person should do what is right for them.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks all for your opinions. The package was posted this morning - I think he went with just blanking out account numbers - but I told him whatever he thinks is appropriate.

I just get so stressed over this process. I've waited so long t be with him and I don't want to risk any further delays.

But like you said, its better than we are united as a couple and I'm trying to learn to relax and trust his instincts as he is the USC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.