wairaer

Can't Work till EAD/Can't Drive Till AOS? -what to do??

34 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi all,

CA DMV will not give a license until you get your Welcome letter (I-797a). I have gone round and round with them, their own requirements are pretty simple. But yet we have come to waiting for Annies Approval notice. So her car sits in the driveway, where she can go out and start it to keep things going. When you get the I-797a you will need to go in and prove to them that it is infact a form they accept. I printed their own web pages and showed them. They still did not do what they were supposed to do. We have to get our State Assemblyman involved.

We have been lied to, given misinformation, misrepresented, and treated like meat at times.

In the meantime Annie is writing a novel, she has always wanted the time to do this and now she does.

I have been working with my congressmans office, and am now drafting a letter to Him. My feeling is simply this:

since the I-129f is purely used for the marriage to a US Citizen, therefore the Marriage License should be the fufillment of the K1 process and therefore AOS should be automatic. But this requires a change in law. Personally, I would not of minded being vetted a bit more during the K1 process, if this would of made Annie legal to work and live freely. It would not change the two year conditional limitation, but it certainly would of made intergrating in to the US alot easier.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

My husband sleeps all day, watches TV (it helps improve his ENGLISH OK? :P:P ), and most importantly, he has learned to use the paper shredder very well. :D He is a professional paper shredder. When I come home from work, I can get all the news directly from him without looking at the TV or Yahoo news. He's quite handy in the kitchen peeling potatoes and making salads too. Spaghetti dinner is his specialty. He knows he'll have his EAD, the temporary was sort of useless...everyone wants to see that he can work longer, so he knows he'll be gainfully employed eventually.

He has a few hobbies, not the least of which is scaring my sister's cats to death. I approve! :devil:

I-129F Sent: Nov. 14, 2005 - Approved: March 21, 2006 - Visa Received: Jun. 18, 2006 - US Entry: July 23, 2006 at JFK

MARRIED: AUG. 12, 2006 12:00 PM - AOS Filed: Sept. 27, 2006 NOA: Oct. 02, 2006 - Approved: YES~! - Green Card Received: Nov. 11, 2006

EAD e-Filed: Oct. 07, 2006 - NOA: Oct. 10, 2006 - Approved? - Ignored by USCIS as AOS came 1st - free money for USCIS~!

LIFTING CONDITIONS - I-751 Sent: Aug. 27, 2008 - APPROVED: May 27, 2009 - RECEIVED: July 13, 2009

NATURALIZATION - N-400 Filed: Oct. 18, 2011

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I sleep all day too!! But when I'm not sleeping:

- I tie up all the financial loose ends back home (tax refunds etc)

- I go to the gym (ok, not much but sometimes!!)

- I've just taken up volunteering! So far, the community college as a tutor, the beagle rescue centre and some lady who's starting a cat/dog rescue!

- I watch things off the BBC website to remind me of home (we don't have a TV!!)

Sometimes, I sits and thinks. Sometimes, I just sits!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
...In the meantime Annie is writing a novel, she has always wanted the time to do this and now she does.

As my beloved hubby mentioned, I am working on my novel. This is easier said than done as the main problem I am having in a day is basically the fact I spend it alone. It's not that I begrudge all this free time, or the fact my place is awsome and great to explore, and there is so much to do and fab shops to check out... I actually am getting to a point that being in my own company is actually quite depressing. I get sick of me, and I guess I worry that my adoring hubby migt get sick of me too. Therre is only my opinion to listen to in a day, and without msn or email, i might never have a conversation till the work day is done. Everyone else is at work, i am not allowed to work, and you can't walk anywhere unless you want to pass out with heat stroke [i have had heatstroke twice since moving to our new house, pah]. So I write my novel, or try to. I leaned that you NEVER watch daytime soaps, no matter how bored you are, because these curious entities give you a clarity of how great your life actualy is, as well as an uncontrolable urge to beat the characters about the head till your hands hurt. And occasionally I find a forum I like and generally pester people there with my opinions :P

The K1/AOS system sucks, there's no mistaking that. We have been lied to so much I am actually impatient for my paperwork to be approved so I can go back into the DMV and get my ID (so I can finally start my driving lessons, and finally get to drive my car), and stick the GC in their face and say "See!!! I'm not a nothing!!!"

But that's just me.

What??! but i thought.. i read.. whatever!! Anyway, my friends and i were assuming that after i get my ssn then i can work temporarily because i submitted my I-94 while applying for ssn. But after i get married I should apply for EAD and stop working till i get approved?

Corrections pls!! Thanks!

I was told that I could work for the 90 days I was in the country and have a SS number which I got pretty early on from arriving in the USA. Once your I-94 expires, so does your right to work on the K1 visa. You can then apply for the work permit while your AOS is being transferred. I didn't get a job before the I-94 expired (wasn't required at the time). If anybody thinks this is wrong, then I apologise, but it was what we were told. Bearing in mind the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing, it wouldnt surprise me to find people have been told otherwise. But as far as I am aware, the K1 visa and the I-94 (with the SS number, of course) are a legal right to work. That is why you then apply for a work permit while you are changing status, ie so that you don't have a delay of too long between the I-94 expiring and your return to work.

Everyone,

My wife and I went to the California DMV to get her an ID card, but we couldn't get it because her I-94 had expired a week before. Now we have to wait for EAD.

If you want your spouse to get a CA ID or DL, be sure to go prior to expiration of the I-94.

I went to the DMV with 1 month left on my I-94 and they wouldn't accept it because the I-94 only had a month on it. Dont ask, my opinion of the DMV is not something I could print on this forum. I sum it up with :ranting::crying::clock: and :protest: . Bearing in mind that the i-94 is valid for 90 days, I thought it was a cheek they turned me away, considering I had my marriage licence, my passport with visa and i-94 and all the photocopies of our forms so far, and the originals of the receipts from the USCIS saying that I was allowed to be here. Someone also told me that the ID would have expired on the date the i-94 expires which i think is thoroughly offensive, as though they are implying i will magically become somebody else on that date and so be invalid for the id with my own name on it. :angry::ranting:

Anyway, it is what it is, and now we are in the waiting game, and i am working on a novel that will, if not make me millions and catapult me into international stardom, at least pass the time and be interesting enough for someone other than my husband to read.

Hugs and hope something in the above helps

Annie

2005 August 27th Happily Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.