Sign in to follow this  
wairaer

Can't Work till EAD/Can't Drive Till AOS? -what to do??

34 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have been reading everybody's posts and it seems that nobody has addressed this topic yet -- just what does the Alien Fiance(e) do while waiting for the AOS and EAD to be approved, specificially with regard to WORKING and DRIVING. Would you please confirm that this is your situations as well? --

- He/she cannot work till the EAD is issued (which seems to be on average ~3 months from the time one submits the I-765 and I-486). So I am curious to know what has everyone's experience been, to overcome the anxiety and boredom of not being unable to work and earning income?

- He/she cannot even drive(!!) till the AOS is approved and green card issued? -- we went to the Driver's License office here in Denver, and they told us that they cannot issue anything (non-driving ID, Driver's Permit) until a K1 Fiance has adjusted his/her status). So again, what has everyone's experience been during this long process of waiting?

I am having a hard time imagining that all of the K1 Fiances on this Forum walking around carrying their Foreign Passports as the only means of identifications, and can't work, and can't drive for these long months? Or am I missing something here??

I'm being sincere here, please give me some pointers here if you will kindly please. My fiance and I have done all of our due diligence - got the K1 Visa, got married, sent out the I-765 and I-486 packages and done the Biometrics appt. Now he still can't DRIVE and can't WORK, please let me know what ideas and suggestions you have come up with or are using to overcome these next few months of WAITING....(to exhale) ;-)

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks a lot!

Ellen and Reybel

It's hard !

I decided to paint the inside of the house - kept me busy !

It wasn't so difficult here in Wisconsin as as soon as I got the EAD then I got a state ID and then they also let me get the driver's permit and then do the tests and get a licence before the green card.

We didn't have enough for a 2nd car at first so I got a local server's job that I could walk to !!

Here in Texas they will give you Driver's License when you have an SSN number, I cant work yet since my case is pending. so it's so pretty boring since my husband was deployed to Iraq. I watch tv, surf the net, go to ESL class, drive around and sometimes crying hehehehehe It's been 4 months now that i have nothing to do except those things mentioned above.

If she want's she can find a volunteer work or enroll in short courses classes. Hope the husband/wife can do something about it because now that I have no husband coz he is deployed it's really really pretty hard, im alone and it's so hard for me, its boring, lonely, feel like crying everyday and etc.

I went to the mall or met my new friends but still it's really different, when you go home you will still feel bored.

Do something for your wife or for your husband because she is new here in this country she cant decide yet on her own they need you.

Hi,

No EAD/AP here altho it's nearing 90 days since our submission because someone at USCIS screwed up. My husband takes the conservative approach on the interpretation of "resident" in California and hence, I can't drive, although I used to drive back and I passed my driving test here, because I don't have the EAD or GC for them to issue the driving licence to me.

Yup, I have been sitting at home, twiddling my thumbs till I get those things. To keep myself occuppied, I clean the house and cook. I chat online with my friends and read. And slowly go crazy.

It helps that my husband is there when I suffer from my nervous breakdowns from all this stress. I think I am undergoing more stress right now than my years as an investment banker working 60 hour weeks.

Good luck!

P/S: My timeline is under my husband's userid "Miwa".

What??! but i thought.. i read.. whatever!! Anyway, my friends and i were assuming that after i get my ssn then i can work temporarily because i submitted my I-94 while applying for ssn. But after i get married I should apply for EAD and stop working till i get approved?

Corrections pls!! Thanks!

Everyone,

My wife and I went to the California DMV to get her an ID card, but we couldn't get it because her I-94 had expired a week before. Now we have to wait for EAD.

If you want your spouse to get a CA ID or DL, be sure to go prior to expiration of the I-94.

What??! but i thought.. i read.. whatever!! Anyway, my friends and i were assuming that after i get my ssn then i can work temporarily because i submitted my I-94 while applying for ssn. But after i get married I should apply for EAD and stop working till i get approved?

Corrections pls!! Thanks!

You shouldnt be working at all. You should have also kept your I-94 as you need it to file for AOS. Your SS card should've stated you could not work unless properly authorized or something to that affect. The only way you can legally work in the US when you come in on a K1 visa is to wait and file EAD with your AOS and wait for that to get approved, THEN you can work OR if you have a green card. Besides that, you should not be working. SSN or not.

I'm curious about everyone who says they were driving on their foreign license. How were you insured? I work in insurance and any policy I've come across explicitly states that any driver who lives in my household is NOT covered by my policy and therefore can't drive my car. My insurance also will not insure you without a valid U.S. license. How did you all get around this?

I was allowed to drive on my Canadian driver's license until my EAD arrived and I was able to get a Georgia license. My husband added me to his existing insurance with Allstate the week I arrived. They asked for information about my driving history and I believe a copy of my Ontario license. We had absolutely no problems. He has dealt with the same insurance company for about 30 years and the same agent for many years so I don't know if this is normal or not. I don't recall if they required a copy of my previous proof of insurance or not since it was several years ago now.

Edited by Kathryn41

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.