john_and_marlene

Hardship for meeting within 2 years

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

rebeccajo,

Disabled people (including disabled severely enough so as to be unable to travel long distances) can nevertheless get an income from any number of sources, or have assets. The income requirements for sponsoring a alien are really quite low.

On the order of 2 years ago I recall a poster - I don't think it was on VJ - who successfully requested a waiver of the application fees on the basis that he couldn't afford to pay them, and then adjusted successfully. One of life's many mysteries.

Yodrak

As far as a medical condition goes, that's a tough one. In my mind it's a snowball sort of scenario. I wonder how someone who might be so debilitated that they could not travel could meet the support obligations of AOS. My scope of knowledge doesn't go that far to any examples. I mean, in theory one can get approved at the service center and consulate levels, be granted the visa, travel here, marry but be denied AOS because of support issues.

My only firm opinion about medical conditions is that waivers should never be granted for medical conditions that are considered psychological.

Financial hardship is a bunk excuse as well, in my book. If you can't afford to travel to meet, you can't afford to bring someone here.

Edited by Yodrak

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

john,

Use Google to search the Usenet newsgroup <alt.visa.us.marriage-based>. I know you'll find 1 success, around the summer-fall period of 2003, by a poster named farhan citing religious and cultural reasons in Pakistan. His was a very controvertial case, both before and after the waiver was granted.

I doubt you'll be able to put together much of a collection.

Yodrak

What are your thoughts?

Are there still cultures where meeting before marriage is absolutely not allowed even with a chaperone? If you know of one, where is it?

What must one show for medical circumstances?

What other possible reasons could there be?

Does anyone know of a successful attempt at this? What were the circumstances?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I've read through most of the appeal decisions on the USCIS website, and none of them that I've seen have found sufficient hardship to waive the meeting requirement. When people say they don't have enough money or can't get the time off work, USCIS says this is not "extreme" hardship because most everyone who has a fiance abroad has to deal with these issues. When people claimed they couldn't meet because of cultural precedent (Muslim in all cases) this too was denied; the USCIS apparently has an advisor on these matters that says in strict Islamic tradition the boy and girl are not supposed to date or meet each other but can SEE each other in the presence of their parents. All of the medical reasons I saw were denied too, but maybe some people got through without having to file appeal.

signature here

My hope in bringing this up again was that anyone considering it should at least look at the historical evidence before wasting their time, energy and money. If nothing else, spend an evening going through the appeal decisions to see what didn't work--there are many appeal denials and they cover a variety of circumstances. The research won't cost anything and could certainly put someone on a more successful, informed path. If they still want to attempt it, try to find an immigration attorney that has been successful with at least 1 of these cases--the search for this alone might be very revealing. At a minimum, a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney should be sought before making the attempt.

I'd like to see this pinned in the K1 section to inform anyone who might be thinking it's something that is easily done.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Related: What was the link to the list of appeals/decisions that people are talking about? I saw it once but I can't seem to find it again.

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Filed: Other Timeline
rebeccajo,

Disabled people (including disabled severely enough so as to be unable to travel long distances) can nevertheless get an income from any number of sources, or have assets. The income requirements for sponsoring a alien are really quite low.

On the order of 2 years ago I recall a poster - I don't think it was on VJ - who successfully requested a waiver of the application fees on the basis that he couldn't afford to pay them, and then adjusted successfully. One of life's many mysteries.

Yodrak

Oh yeah, I agree absolutely about the income for the disabled. No question about that. And yes the income requirements are low. I agree.

I might step on some toes here and I sure don't mean too. But we've all heard of individuals who manage to get themselves declared 'disabled' and gain the public assistance that goes along with that. Some (NOT ALL BY ANY MEANS) of these individuals have an 'entitlement' mentality and may file a visa petition believing that since it worked once with the government, it might work again.

I'm not meaning to stereotype or generalize. Just thinking aloud about some of those 'life mysteries' we've all heard about.

Timeline

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/adm...c3/d6/index.htm

Sometimes they neglect to edit out personal information from the text of the decision! It's so sloppy!

Related: What was the link to the list of appeals/decisions that people are talking about? I saw it once but I can't seem to find it again.
Edited by heishe

signature here

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'd like to see this pinned in the K1 section to inform anyone who might be thinking it's something that is easily done.

Absolutely agree.

Do *that* many people (from here) try it?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Absolutely agree.

I don't think so!

signature here

Filed: Other Timeline

Absolutely agree.

I don't think so!

No but one just caused enough stir around here to make me think it might be noteworthy - if not pinned then maybe somewhere else in the guides.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I thought some muslims have gotten away with it (from India/Pakistan etc.) but do not know of any specific cases. However there are easy examples of people not being able to meet - consider that many areas are in the war zone (Iraq has been for several years) or are in war-like areas and the foreigners are not issued visitors visas by the US consulate. I assume they are not part of the VJ community and therefore no posts have appeared here relating their cases. It will make for interesting reading if they post.

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I thought some muslims have gotten away with it (from India/Pakistan etc.) but do not know of any specific cases. However there are easy examples of people not being able to meet - consider that many areas are in the war zone (Iraq has been for several years) or are in war-like areas and the foreigners are not issued visitors visas by the US consulate. I assume they are not part of the VJ community and therefore no posts have appeared here relating their cases. It will make for interesting reading if they post.

Sometimes people meet in a third country such as Egypt if they are from the Middle East. I know of several people who have met in a more neutral country instead of going to the homecountry of their fiance(e).

Timeline

There's one involving Iraq on the USCIS appeals page - it was denied. USCIS thinks they should have tried to meet in a neighboring country or something. When people can't get visas to visit the US and the US citizen can't get to the fiance's country, USCIS expects them to try meeting somewhere else.

signature here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I've read a bunch of the decisions, and have yet to see an approval for a hardship.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.