girl 37

Travel between approval & interview

3 posts in this topic

Well, my luck just ran out. I was going to visit my husband for the weekend and got denied. The officer said I can't visit because my CR1 and K3 are both approved and I can't be a visitor when I'm already an immigrant. (Even though I haven't gone to either interview yet.) He didn't have any explanation as to why I was able to visit a couple of weeks ago. He also told me not to go to the K3 interview in Vancouver because then I'd have to adjust status in the US, since getting the K3 automatically cancels the CR1 interview in Montreal. :unsure: I told him I thought I could go back for the Immigrant Visa interview, and his response was to do that I'd need Advance Parole. When I told him I thought the K3 is multiple entry visa, he said it isn't, and I'm wrong. :wacko: According to him, they get directives all the time and my info is out of date. When I asked to see something in writing, he said he'd go find the rules. When he called me in, he took my fingerprints & photo and gave me a voluntary withdrawl form to sign. I had all the usual evidence of returning, but he didn't care. I guess at some point you realize you aren't getting anywhere with some people. I think they send the slow ones to Edmonton. Back to Vancouver. :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi girl 37,

I went thru a similar situation in Chicago, but my interview wasn't set yet. I only had my I-130 approved. I was let into the country though (after having my picture and fingerprints taken and my passports confiscated), had to go to the immigration office closest to the town where my husband lives (to pick up my passports and have they decide my fate) and was given another 6 months to stay (I have a B2 visa). I had to leave a month later and now I can't come back without my CR1 visa. They threatened to deport me and not allow me back into the US for 5 years if I try to come on another visa.

I know that the Advanced Parole issue exists, but I thought it only applied for those who did Adjustment of Status. I guess if you use the K3 you'd need to do Adjustment of Status. I'd advise you to wait and do the CR1 interview. It seems to me that it's the best way. The only thing I don't quite understand is that I thought that you could use the K3 visa while waiting for the CR1. I guess the rules probably changed.

Well...at least you have your interview date set. I've been in Brazil for two months now and only yesterday they finished processing my papers at the NVC. So I don't know when I'll have my interview...or even if it will be this year!

Good luck and patience!!

Alix

Edited by alix

N-400 (based on 3-year marriage rule)
06/05/2014 Application Sent
06/06/2014 Application Received in Phoenix

06/09/2014 Priority Date

06/11/2014 Notice Date

06/12//2014 Check Cashed
06/12/2014 Received email/text receipt confirmation from Phoenix Lockbox

06/17/2014 Biometrics Letter mailed
06/20/2014 Biometrics Letter Received

06/24/2014 Biometrics Walk-in

06/26/2014 In line for Interview

07/03/2014 Original Biometrics Appointment

07/29/2014 Yellow Letter Received

09/05/2014 Interview letter Received

10/07/2014 Interview

10/17/2014 Received email/text that oath has been scheduled

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow that sucks !!! My I130 just got approved.. I'm not even at the NVC yet, I'm scheduled to pick up my husband tonight at the Buffalo Airport --- Now I'm worried !!! Geesch !!! that would suck big time if they don't let me in....

Angela

***I751***

01/06/2009 - Mailed I-751 with Fee (Day 1)

01/09/2009 - Check Cashed (Day 3)

01/15/2009 - NOA received (Day 9)

02/05/2009 - Biometrics Appointment (Day 30)

06/10/2009 - Approval!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.