Limarc

Social Security y Ajuste de estatus

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hola a todos los miembros de VJ.

He llegado a usa con visa k1 y ya nos hemos casado, ahora tenemos varias inquitudes.

1. Como aplicar por el ss, luego de casados nos llega automaticamente a la casa o debemos ir a ss a solicitarlo?

2. el ajuste de estatus donde se presenta, q cuesta, cuanto tarda, puedo esrtudiar el idioma antes de q me llegue la green card o debo esperar, cuanto tarda el permiso de trabajo?, debo aplicar por permiso de viaje fuera de usa ahora o cuando tenga la necesidad de salir del pais?, cuando reciba la green card durante los 2 primeros años puedo viajar sin permiso de viaje o como se hace?...

Gracias a todos aquellos que puedan orientarnos en este proceso tan dispendioso para todos.

You can apply for the SSN even before you marry http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/89513-ssn-on-k-1/

But it's generally a better idea to get married first and then apply so you can save yourself at least one visit to the SS office to update your marital status, name changes etc. AOS howto http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/307-applying-for-aos-in-the-usa/

1. see the first link.

You don't get it automatically, you have to apply for it.

2. see 2nd link.

You can study the language before you get the GC. How long it takes to process the AOS and GC depends on luck and where you file it, in average it's probably a 4-6 months wait. While you apply for it, you need to apply also for Advance Parole document if you want to or may need to travel outside the US before you have received your green card.

When you get the green card, you will use that and your passport entering and exiting the country, and go (only then) to the US citizens and permanent residents queue.

You can also bring an interpret to your AOS interview if it will make you feel more comfortable answering the questions. In Texas the interviewers usually speak Spanish as well, but it's no harm if you bring an interpret of your own. (Or your spouse can translate for you).

Your local library probably also has some language courses that you could loan or attend meanwhile.

USAn Suomalaisten Foorumi <-- online place for the Finnish in US

Blog

938 days to get K-3.

AOS approved on day 1304.

Timeline

You can apply for the SSN even before you marry http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/89513-ssn-on-k-1/

But it's generally a better idea to get married first and then apply so you can save yourself at least one visit to the SS office to update your marital status, name changes etc. AOS howto http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/307-applying-for-aos-in-the-usa/

1. see the first link.

You don't get it automatically, you have to apply for it.

2. see 2nd link.

You can study the language before you get the GC. How long it takes to process the AOS and GC depends on luck and where you file it, in average it's probably a 4-6 months wait. While you apply for it, you need to apply also for Advance Parole document if you want to or may need to travel outside the US before you have received your green card.

When you get the green card, you will use that and your passport entering and exiting the country, and go (only then) to the US citizens and permanent residents queue.

Muchas gracias por su información...pero tengo mas preguntas cual es el formulario que debo presentar en la oficina del seguro social?, cual es la forma I94?, quiero llevar el apellido de mi esposo, en que momento puedo hacerlo sin que ello genere confusión en los tramites de migración?

You can also bring an interpret to your AOS interview if it will make you feel more comfortable answering the questions. In Texas the interviewers usually speak Spanish as well, but it's no harm if you bring an interpret of your own. (Or your spouse can translate for you).

Your local library probably also has some language courses that you could loan or attend meanwhile.

Timeline

Muchas gracias por su ayuda, pero quiero saber otras cosas, donde encuentro la forma para aplizar por mi ss?, cual es la forma i94?, DONDE DEBO PRESENTAR LA SOLICITUD DE LA GREEN CARD?, quiero llevar el apellido de mi esposo, en qie momento puedo hacerlo sin qe me genere mas costos y confusiones con el proceso en inmigracion

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Translation of the OP's question:

Hello to all VJ members.

I have come to use k1 visa and we married and now have several inquiries.

1. How to apply for ssn - when married does it automatically comes to the house or do we go to the ssn office to apply?

2. adjustment of status - where does it occurs, how much does it cost, how long does it takes; can I study the language before I get the green card or should I wait; how long does the work permit take? I must apply for permission to travel out of the US now or have the need to leave the country? After receiving the green card can I travel during the first 2 years without applying for a travel permit?..\

Thanks to all who can guide us in this process as it is time consuming for everyone.

This is a reminder that only English is supposed to be used in the Immigration related forums. If you wish to ask a question in your native language, please post it in the Regional Forums for your country instead - or provide a translation of your question or comment into English. We wish to keep the information as accessible for as many people as possible and English is the one language we all have in common, as it is the official language of the US.

Translated by Google Translate:

"Este es un recordatorio de que sólo Inglés se supone que es utilizado en los foros relacionados con la inmigración. Si desea hacer una pregunta en su lengua materna, por favor, publicarlo en los foros regionales de su país en lugar - o una traducción de su pregunta o comentario en Inglés. Queremos mantener la información lo más accesible para tanta gente como sea posible y el Inglés es el idioma que todos tenemos en común, ya que es el idioma oficial de los Estados Unidos."

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Muchas gracias por su ayuda, pero quiero saber otras cosas, donde encuentro la forma para aplizar por mi ss?, cual es la forma i94?, DONDE DEBO PRESENTAR LA SOLICITUD DE LA GREEN CARD?, quiero llevar el apellido de mi esposo, en qie momento puedo hacerlo sin qe me genere mas costos y confusiones con el proceso en inmigracion

Translation:

Thank you very much for your help, but I wish to know other things; where to find a way to file my ssn application?, What is the I94?, WHERE SHOULD I APPLY FOR THE GREEN CARD?, I took my husband's surname, qie qe time I can go without me generate more costs and confusion with the immigration process

Since the OP is not familiar with English, I am moving this thread to the Latin & South America, Mexico and the Caribbean Regional forum so she may ask and be answered in Spanish.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Hello to all VJ members.

I have come to use k1 visa and we married and now have several inquitudes.

1. How to apply for ss, then married automatically comes to the house or we go to ss to apply?

2. adjustment of status where it occurs, q costs, how long it takes, I can esrtudiar q the language before I get the green card or should I wait, how late the work permit?, I must apply for permission to travel out of use now or have the need to leave the country?, after receiving the green card during the first 2 years I can travel without a travel permit or the making? ...

Thanks to all who can guide us in this process as time consuming for everyone.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.