VisaJourney.com Logo
Gallery      Form Downloads      Example Forms      Processing Times      Embassy Info      Reviews: Embassy/USCIS & POE      News     Members

Latest VJ Member Visa Approvals - Congratulations!

blank avatarAmanda & Justin
K1 Visa
Canada
Amy & Yohann
K1 Visa
France
Michael & Tatiana
K1 Visa
Russia
Angel & Marielys
K1 Visa
Venezuela
blank avatarUmber & Abidoon
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Pakistan
blank avatarVirath & Southida
K1 Visa
Laos
blank avatarjane & doe
K1 Visa
Philippines
blank avatarGayle & SJ
K1 Visa
Philippines
V & T
K1 Visa
Ukraine
blank avatarReina & Juan Carlos
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Mexico

• Please log in to reply

Did you use a lawyer

#1 The Nature Boy

The Nature Boy

The Middle of the road man

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:52 AM

Just a quick question to the group. Did you use a lawyer and would you again ?

I did use one. He way overcharged me ( in hindsight). All he did was review our application to see if we made any errors. Looking back at the K-1 process it is so simple and straight forward, knowing what I know no I would do it myself. I don't plan to use a lawyer for AOS.

New common Core Math

5 is more than 7

#2 TeapotGirl

TeapotGirl

Michael Jackson fan...

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:21 PM

I am patient, detailed oriented and we don't have complicated situation so NO

Happy New Year!

#3 jkminney

jkminney

Gold Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

We used a lawyer for the K1 because I wasn't aware of this website, it was a HUGE waste of money. As you pointed out you still had to supply them all the information, all they had to do was take our info and put it ON the forms. When we did the CR1 we didnt use a lawyer. We did all the paperwork ourselves and didnt have any issues with it at all. I would say to a person unless they have a seriously complicated case such as an overstay or legal issues that would be a reason for denial to not waste their money on paying a lawyer.
10-16-2010 Married
03-17-2011 I-130 sent
03-19-2011 I-130 received
03-23-2011 NOA1
03-25-2011 Touch
06-16-2011 NOA2
07-18-2011 NVC Received
07-19-2011 Emailed DS 3032
07-29-2011 Emailed DS 3032 AGAIN-still no response
08-03-2011 AOS Bill Generated
08-03-2011 AOS Bill Paid
08-03-2011 Emailed DS 3032 Yet Again!!!
08-05-2011 Mailed AOS packet
08-08-2011 AOS packet delivered
08-08-2011 DS 3232 accepted
08-09-2011 IV Bill Generated/Paid
08-10-2011 IV marked PAID
08-10-2011 IV packet Mailed
08-11-2011 IV packet delivered
08-16-2011 AOS package processed
08-22-2011 IV packet processed
08-22-2011 SIF/Case Closed
08-25-2011 Interview date received
10-13-2011 Interview-APPROVED

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 marklovetina

marklovetina

HONEY'S SWEETIE....

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

I did use one. He way overcharged me ( in hindsight). All he did was review our application to see if we made any errors. Looking back at the K-1 process it is so simple and straight forward, knowing what I know no I would do it myself. I don't plan to use a lawyer for AOS.

yes we had too during our previous K1.. but when we re-filed it we didnt hire anymore... VJ and friends are here to help... and hiring a lawyer or any agency will not help to make the process quick... :yes: ;) maybe we will if we have a complicated case that needs an immigration lawyer... :thumbs:

Edited by marklovetina, 16 October 2011 - 12:31 PM.

ROC:

Dec. 2013- Filed my ROC
Jan. 06, 2014- Biometrics
May 28, 2014- Approval of my ROC ( No RFE... No Interview )
June 09, 2014- New GC arrived in the mail...

pH2Xm5.png

ue1CQy8.jpgue1Cm5.png

My Group
My Blog

#5 TeapotGirl

TeapotGirl

Michael Jackson fan...

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:33 PM

and hiring a lawyer or any agency will not help to make the process quick...

It will help to more likely avoid RFE just because to missed something or didn't understand the question.

But then again it's up to you how patient you are and how much effort you'd like to put on with constant reading, researching and asking people about your situation.

Happy New Year!

#6 marklovetina

marklovetina

HONEY'S SWEETIE....

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:35 PM

It will help to more likely avoid RFE just because to missed something or didn't understand the question.

But then again it's up to you how patient you are and how much effort you'd like to put on with constant reading, researching and asking people about your situation.

well dont be so sure... some of my friends online had RFE still even they hired a lawyer... :yes: ;)

Edited by marklovetina, 16 October 2011 - 12:36 PM.

ROC:

Dec. 2013- Filed my ROC
Jan. 06, 2014- Biometrics
May 28, 2014- Approval of my ROC ( No RFE... No Interview )
June 09, 2014- New GC arrived in the mail...

pH2Xm5.png

ue1CQy8.jpgue1Cm5.png

My Group
My Blog

#7 OnMyWayID

OnMyWayID

Diamond Member

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

Like anything else in life.. It seems pretty simple after you have lived it and gone through it but when you are just starting it seems like a complex problem with a million ways to fail. If I was talking to a friend just starting the process and they did not have any complicated issues (like overstays) I would advise them against using a lawyer. There is no time savings (personal or process) and for me at least there would be no extra piece of mind..

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it.   -Ford Prefect

#8 TeapotGirl

TeapotGirl

Michael Jackson fan...

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:37 PM

well dont be so sure... some of my friends online had RFE still even they hired a lawyer... :yes: ;)

but the chances is lesser that's why i used the term "more likely"

Happy New Year!

#9 mrs. carey

mrs. carey

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:43 PM

If your case is complicated, then YES. If it's not, then certainly and definitely, NO. VJ guides and people here who are willing to help are more than enough to answer all your questions. My husband's dad and grandfather are both lawyers but we never asked for any help; just on notarizing some of the documents needed by the Philippine Embassy for report of marriage and passport amendment. B-)

W2tim4.png

US Wedding 7/22/2011

0386172.th.jpg0725350.th.jpg0962502.th.jpg0733355.th.jpg0857426.th.jpg

PH Wedding 3/12/2013

#10 Girl from Celebes

Girl from Celebes

My Viva Fever Forever for My Blue Eyed Bule

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:29 PM

This guy did use a lawyer and see what happened, a mess

http://www.visajourn..._1#entry4955215

my parents told me, DO NOT EVER put all trust to:

• a politician
  • a lawyer and...
  • a liarPosted Image

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

Check My K-1 Timeline

How To Bring Pets to The US

Immigrant Living in The US

Adjusting of Status from K-1 Visa

• 2014-06-13: Submitted Adjustment of Status package (I-485, I-765) to Chicago Lockbox
  • 2014-06-17: Status delivered at Chicago Lockbox per USPS website confirmation
  • 2014-06-18: Acceptance of I-485 and I-765
  • 2014-06-20: NOA-1 for I-485 (AoS)
  • 2014-06-20: NOA-1 for I-765 (EAD)
  • 2014-06-23: Check cashed
  • 2014-06-26: Hard copy of I-485 and I-765
  • 2014-06-30: Received biometric appointment via mail
  • 2014-07-23: Biometric appointment scheduled
  • 2014-07-23: Biometric was done at USCIS local office in Kendall, Miami
  • 2014-07-28: Call USCIS to expedite I-765 due job offers
  • 2014-07-28: Wrote an email to Congressman Joe Garcia regarding expedite I-765
  • 2014-08-21: EAD card in production. Not involved the help from Congressman Joe Garcia
  • 2014-08-29: EAD card is mailed. Expected delivery day on Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014
  • 2014-09-02: Received EAD card in the mail
  • 2014-09-29: Received in the mail notice of potential interview waiver case dated September 25th

Based on average timeline of interview waiver of VJ members, approximately waiting time about 6-7 months from biometric appointment which means would be in January-February 2015

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

1502852_10152582398528706_72299859670465

#11 The Nature Boy

The Nature Boy

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

Like anything else in life.. It seems pretty simple after you have lived it and gone through it but when you are just starting it seems like a complex problem with a million ways to fail. If I was talking to a friend just starting the process and they did not have any complicated issues (like overstays) I would advise them against using a lawyer. There is no time savings (personal or process) and for me at least there would be no extra piece of mind..

Yes exactly it did seem overwhelaming at first , in the rear view mirror there was not much to it. I do think some think having a lawyer may speed it up, but your right it does not.

New common Core Math

5 is more than 7

#12 The Nature Boy

The Nature Boy

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:49 PM

This guy did use a lawyer and see what happened, a mess

http://www.visajourn..._1#entry4955215

my parents told me, DO NOT EVER put all trust to:

• a politician
  • a lawyer and...
  • a liarPosted Image

And I found out after he had fled my K-1 that my lawyer had been disbarred for fadulant taking of money from clients and that he did not have offices in the Philippines and other locations as promised. . . He did review the application but has done little else. My guess is he is thinking he may snag me for more money for AOS. Heck he may be in jail by now for all I know.

New common Core Math

5 is more than 7

#13 Brian121957

Brian121957

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

Lawyer NO, Visa service YES,

Its true that the process is not that bad and sites like this provide great information, BUT. All that research takes time. I have a full time job and did not want the process to be delayed because I did not have the time to research a form.

But with all that said, I would not have the visa service send anything in directly. Its your application, It has your signature on it, it is your life. If they wont let you review every thing that is submitted go some place else. They should be able to explain to you what every thing is and why it is being filled out they way it is.

#14 Corinthians

Corinthians

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:31 PM

No lawyers at any step in the process. IMO you only really need them if someone has a ban/overstay or criminal history (big challenges).
NOA 2. Really?

#15 Gary and Alla

Gary and Alla

Я вижу тебя

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:37 PM

Absolutely not

VERMONT!  I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Back to Top ↑