The Nature Boy

Did you use a lawyer

43 posts in this topic

Just a quick question to the group. Did you use a lawyer and would you again ?

I did use one. He way overcharged me ( in hindsight). All he did was review our application to see if we made any errors. Looking back at the K-1 process it is so simple and straight forward, knowing what I know no I would do it myself. I don't plan to use a lawyer for AOS.

We used a lawyer for the K1 because I wasn't aware of this website, it was a HUGE waste of money. As you pointed out you still had to supply them all the information, all they had to do was take our info and put it ON the forms. When we did the CR1 we didnt use a lawyer. We did all the paperwork ourselves and didnt have any issues with it at all. I would say to a person unless they have a seriously complicated case such as an overstay or legal issues that would be a reason for denial to not waste their money on paying a lawyer.

10-16-2010 Married

03-17-2011 I-130 sent

03-19-2011 I-130 received

03-23-2011 NOA1

03-25-2011 Touch

06-16-2011 NOA2

07-18-2011 NVC Received

07-19-2011 Emailed DS 3032

07-29-2011 Emailed DS 3032 AGAIN-still no response

08-03-2011 AOS Bill Generated

08-03-2011 AOS Bill Paid

08-03-2011 Emailed DS 3032 Yet Again!!!

08-05-2011 Mailed AOS packet

08-08-2011 AOS packet delivered

08-08-2011 DS 3232 accepted

08-09-2011 IV Bill Generated/Paid

08-10-2011 IV marked PAID

08-10-2011 IV packet Mailed

08-11-2011 IV packet delivered

08-16-2011 AOS package processed

08-22-2011 IV packet processed

08-22-2011 SIF/Case Closed

08-25-2011 Interview date received

10-13-2011 Interview-APPROVED

l198oyeua.png

d1emrulw6.png

I did use one. He way overcharged me ( in hindsight). All he did was review our application to see if we made any errors. Looking back at the K-1 process it is so simple and straight forward, knowing what I know no I would do it myself. I don't plan to use a lawyer for AOS.

yes we had too during our previous K1.. but when we re-filed it we didnt hire anymore... VJ and friends are here to help... and hiring a lawyer or any agency will not help to make the process quick... :yes:;) maybe we will if we have a complicated case that needs an immigration lawyer... :thumbs:

Edited by marklovetina
N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
and hiring a lawyer or any agency will not help to make the process quick...

It will help to more likely avoid RFE just because to missed something or didn't understand the question.

But then again it's up to you how patient you are and how much effort you'd like to put on with constant reading, researching and asking people about your situation.

Happy New Year!

It will help to more likely avoid RFE just because to missed something or didn't understand the question.

But then again it's up to you how patient you are and how much effort you'd like to put on with constant reading, researching and asking people about your situation.

well dont be so sure... some of my friends online had RFE still even they hired a lawyer... :yes:;)

Edited by marklovetina
N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Like anything else in life.. It seems pretty simple after you have lived it and gone through it but when you are just starting it seems like a complex problem with a million ways to fail. If I was talking to a friend just starting the process and they did not have any complicated issues (like overstays) I would advise them against using a lawyer. There is no time savings (personal or process) and for me at least there would be no extra piece of mind..

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

If your case is complicated, then YES. If it's not, then certainly and definitely, NO. VJ guides and people here who are willing to help are more than enough to answer all your questions. My husband's dad and grandfather are both lawyers but we never asked for any help; just on notarizing some of the documents needed by the Philippine Embassy for report of marriage and passport amendment. B-)

W2tim4.png

US Wedding 7/22/2011

0386172.th.jpg0725350.th.jpg0962502.th.jpg0733355.th.jpg0857426.th.jpg

PH Wedding 3/12/2013

http://vimeo.com/61700599

This guy did use a lawyer and see what happened, a mess

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/334405-letter-of-intent-had-an-error/page__p__4955215__fromsearch__1#entry4955215

my parents told me, DO NOT EVER put all trust to:

• a politician
  • a lawyer and...
  • a liarheadbonk.gif

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Like anything else in life.. It seems pretty simple after you have lived it and gone through it but when you are just starting it seems like a complex problem with a million ways to fail. If I was talking to a friend just starting the process and they did not have any complicated issues (like overstays) I would advise them against using a lawyer. There is no time savings (personal or process) and for me at least there would be no extra piece of mind..

Yes exactly it did seem overwhelaming at first , in the rear view mirror there was not much to it. I do think some think having a lawyer may speed it up, but your right it does not.

This guy did use a lawyer and see what happened, a mess

http://www.visajourn..._1#entry4955215

my parents told me, DO NOT EVER put all trust to:

• a politician
  • a lawyer and...
  • a liarheadbonk.gif

And I found out after he had fled my K-1 that my lawyer had been disbarred for fadulant taking of money from clients and that he did not have offices in the Philippines and other locations as promised. . . He did review the application but has done little else. My guess is he is thinking he may snag me for more money for AOS. Heck he may be in jail by now for all I know.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Lawyer NO, Visa service YES,

Its true that the process is not that bad and sites like this provide great information, BUT. All that research takes time. I have a full time job and did not want the process to be delayed because I did not have the time to research a form.

But with all that said, I would not have the visa service send anything in directly. Its your application, It has your signature on it, it is your life. If they wont let you review every thing that is submitted go some place else. They should be able to explain to you what every thing is and why it is being filled out they way it is.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

No lawyers at any step in the process. IMO you only really need them if someone has a ban/overstay or criminal history (big challenges).

NOA 2. Really?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.