fruto123

I-134 Financial Evidence

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I don't know why people are so crazy about this topic so I just ask the embassy to get a straight answer from them. Here are the answers.

Hello,

I am preparing documents for my fiancée's K1 interview and have several questions about I-134 financial evidence.

1. Last year's 1040 federal tax return.

I e-filed my tax through www.turboxtax.com and printed out the federal tax return from the website. Is it ok to show this printout during the interview?

YOU CAN PRESENT THE TRANSCRIPT FROM IRS

2. Employment Letter

NOT NECESSARY

My company's HR prepared the letter, digitally signed and emailed it to me. Does the embassy require the original letter or is the printout ok?

3. Bank statement

NOT NECESSARY

My saving account is on ING Internet bank and I also print out my saving account info via the website. Does the embassy require the original signed letter by someone from the bank or is the website printout ok?

NOT NECESSARY.

4. What other financial evidence may the embassy need if my salary alone is above the 125% poverty line?

IF YOUR SALARY IS ABOVE THE 125% OF THE POVERTY LINE YOU JUST HAVE TO PRESENT YOUR LAST INCOME TAX.

Thank you so much.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

The answer you got about the tax returns confuses me. I especifically asked them if my fiance should get transcripts because he e-filed his tax returns and they said the e-filed copies were enough.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

fruto123,

This information is applicable to Brazil.

Do you really think every Embassy/Consulate has the same requirements?

The I-134 evidence is taken seriously here, because every petitioner has different circumstances.

The idea is to ensure that everyone goes to the Embassy/Consulate fully prepared to demonstrate financial ability; in order to meet the provisions of the public charge requirement.

I don't know why people are so crazy about this topic so I just ask the embassy to get a straight answer from them. Here are the answers.

Hello,

I am preparing documents for my fiancée's K1 interview and have several questions about I-134 financial evidence.

1. Last year's 1040 federal tax return.

I e-filed my tax through www.turboxtax.com and printed out the federal tax return from the website. Is it ok to show this printout during the interview?

YOU CAN PRESENT THE TRANSCRIPT FROM IRS

2. Employment Letter

NOT NECESSARY

My company's HR prepared the letter, digitally signed and emailed it to me. Does the embassy require the original letter or is the printout ok?

3. Bank statement

NOT NECESSARY

My saving account is on ING Internet bank and I also print out my saving account info via the website. Does the embassy require the original signed letter by someone from the bank or is the website printout ok?

NOT NECESSARY.

4. What other financial evidence may the embassy need if my salary alone is above the 125% poverty line?

IF YOUR SALARY IS ABOVE THE 125% OF THE POVERTY LINE YOU JUST HAVE TO PRESENT YOUR LAST INCOME TAX.

Thank you so much.

Timeline

Personally, I think Rio should ask for more than tax returns, but what do I know? As I understand it, it shows the financial situation of the petitioner in the past and it can be used, sure, but what about their situation in the present?

I have printed a copy of the e-mail they've sent me about the tax returns and I'll bring it with me in case they say I should have brought transcripts.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Willam33,

That's why I list Rio de Janeiro on my topic title and that's why I ask the embasy to get the straight answer from them. I am sure every embassy is different and that's why people should email the embassy directly and print out the email as evidence. If during the interview they try to say to my girl "oh, you don't have enough financial evidence", she can show them their email and say "nope, that's what you guys said to bring".

fruto123,

For you that worked, great. I was not responding to your topic title, rather:

Keep in mind that many Embassies/Consulates will not provide advance information, or respond to calls and e-mail. Or worse yet, charge for information from a third party that may not know the requirements.

Sometimes it is helpful for others to hear of experiences, from those recently processed at a given location.

Willam33,

That's why I list Rio de Janeiro on my topic title and that's why I ask the embasy to get the straight answer from them. I am sure every embassy is different and that's why people should email the embassy directly and print out the email as evidence. If during the interview they try to say to my girl "oh, you don't have enough financial evidence", she can show them their email and say "nope, that's what you guys said to bring".

Timeline

In any case, the consulate in Rio gives different answers to different people - amazingly enough. So, whatever answer you get from them, it's advisable to print them and bring them to the interview.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Timeline

Mew,

As with the USCIS Mis-information line, the people at the consulate who answer phones or e-mails are not likely the people who process visa applications. The case officers will be busy enough handling their case work, the clerical and administrative functions will likely be handled by lower level people, quite possibly citizens of the host country. They may be trained to answer only the simplest of procedural questions and the information they have to give out is possibly superficial and variable from person to person when one gets into visa adjudication issues.

I can't conceive of a case officer giving the kind of "not necessary" answers that fruto was given unless the officer had fruto's information on hand and had reviewed it. How could they possibly know that the information contained in an unseen tax return was suffient to decide the case?

Yodrak

The answer you got about the tax returns confuses me. I especifically asked them if my fiance should get transcripts because he e-filed his tax returns and they said the e-filed copies were enough.
Edited by Yodrak

Timeline
Mew,

As with the USCIS Mis-information line, the people at the consulate who answer phones or e-mails are not likely the people who process visa applications. The case officers will be busy enough handling their case work, the clerical and administrative functions will likely be handled by lower level people, quite possibly citizens of the host country. They may be trained to answer only the simplest of procedural questions and the information they have to give out is possibly superficial and variable from person to person when one gets into visa adjudication issues.

I can't conceive of a case officer giving the kind of "not necessary" answers that fruto was given unless the officer had fruto's information on hand and had reviewed it. How could they possibly know that the information contained in an unseen tax return was suffient to decide the case?

Yodrak

I agree, Yodrak. That's why I said that *I* believe that one should bring more than just the latest tax returns and W2. However, in the instructions some of us have gotten from the consulate in our packet, and from what other people going through Rio have had as answers on the phone or via e-mail, they state they're only interested in seeing those documents and that any other supporting document is not necessary.

Timeline (incompleta)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.