one...two...tree

Slimeball

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'll spell it out as clearly as I can - forming a personal opinion about someone's character is DIFFERENT than a government taking someone, throwing them into prison and beating a confession out of them.

Due process is - an individual's right to be adequately notified of charges or proceedings involving him, and the opportunity to be heard at these proceedings. In criminal cases, it ensures that an accused person will not be subjected to cruel and unusual punishment.

Does calling someone a slimeball hinder or infringe upon the man's due process in ANY WAY???

I'd recommend taking a class on critical thinking at your local community college...it will help you in learning how to argue.

Due Process or the idea of innocent until proven guilty isnt found in the majority of the world

beating a confession out of someone is hardly something new that the US gov'ment came up with.

critical thinking classes teach one how to DEBATE... argueing is learned at home with siblings :P

All true, but the idea of due process and innocent until proven guilty is one of those things that makes the United States one of the best countries in the world, and beating confessions out of people is one of those things that makes other countries *not* the best countries in the world.

If we become like countries that have no due process and beat confessions out of people ... we are no longer great. :huh:

While keeping in mind that we don't know the full story here wouldn't hurt, we know absolutely nothing at all about what detainees all over the world may or may not have done or are alleged to have done ... and even more of a travesty is that neither do they. That's due process. I don't doubt that if Steven'n'Jinky were to read an article setting forth everything a detainee was alleged to have done and interviews with people who were involved in the investigation, he might think the detainee was a slimeball as well. But as he said, his opinion of them is in no way related to their due process rights, nor does the fact that they may or may not actually be slimeballs mean they should not have those rights.

:thumbs::yes:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I'll spell it out as clearly as I can - forming a personal opinion about someone's character is DIFFERENT than a government taking someone, throwing them into prison and beating a confession out of them.

Due process is - an individual's right to be adequately notified of charges or proceedings involving him, and the opportunity to be heard at these proceedings. In criminal cases, it ensures that an accused person will not be subjected to cruel and unusual punishment.

Does calling someone a slimeball hinder or infringe upon the man's due process in ANY WAY???

I'd recommend taking a class on critical thinking at your local community college...it will help you in learning how to argue.

Due Process or the idea of innocent until proven guilty isnt found in the majority of the world

beating a confession out of someone is hardly something new that the US gov'ment came up with.

critical thinking classes teach one how to DEBATE... argueing is learned at home with siblings :P

All true, but the idea of due process and innocent until proven guilty is one of those things that makes the United States one of the best countries in the world, and beating confessions out of people is one of those things that makes other countries *not* the best countries in the world.

If we become like countries that have no due process and beat confessions out of people ... we are no longer great. :huh:

While keeping in mind that we don't know the full story here wouldn't hurt, we know absolutely nothing at all about what detainees all over the world may or may not have done or are alleged to have done ... and even more of a travesty is that neither do they. That's due process. I don't doubt that if Steven'n'Jinky were to read an article setting forth everything a detainee was alleged to have done and interviews with people who were involved in the investigation, he might think the detainee was a slimeball as well. But as he said, his opinion of them is in no way related to their due process rights, nor does the fact that they may or may not actually be slimeballs mean they should not have those rights.

:thumbs::yes:

sure, its all well and good that we do have due process here, to a point. speady trials? not unless it's high profile or a tv show. and the US hasnt made it practice to beat confessions out of ppl for quite some time now. the odd case out I'm sure is out there.. but as a whole no. Due process has also changed as the media is using it's influence to change public opinion on cases. OJ Simpson, OKC bombings, Scott Peterson... etc.

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

sure, its all well and good that we do have due process here, to a point. speady trials? not unless it's high profile or a tv show. and the US hasnt made it practice to beat confessions out of ppl for quite some time now. the odd case out I'm sure is out there.. but as a whole no. Due process has also changed as the media is using it's influence to change public opinion on cases. OJ Simpson, OKC bombings, Scott Peterson... etc.

True, speedy trials often aren't, but in the federal judiciary the right to a speedy trial is taken very, very seriously. It's possible to be tried in two or three months, and every time a defendant asks for a continuance, he/she must specifically agree to a delay in his/her speedy trial rights, and if the prosecution requests one, the judge has to determine that the reason for the delay is more important than the right to a speedy trial.

I'd say most of my cases are about two to three months from being charged to guilty plea, with another two to three months before sentencing (unless the sentence is going to be less than six months, in which case it's sooner). Federal justice moves fast.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.