KiwiB

I-751 RFE Questions

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Adding each other to accounts now does nothing to change the past. You need documentation spanning the period of time that you've been married that shows a mixing of your two lives. Adding a name to an account that isn't your primary household account would raise more questions than it would answer.

Unfortunately the primary household account is the one that my name isn't on. Again, best I can do for that is getting my name added now and an affidavit from the bank manager stating that although it's been in her name, it's been used as our primary account and has had funds that we have both earned deposited into it ( I can probably back the deposit of funds part up with tax documents).

What about providing documentation that shows that joint household bills, and bills in my name (like my credit card), were paid from that checking account?

I can get 2010 transcripts, but I can't get W2's.

Driver's licenses have been suggested, and we have those.

They are being pretty specific about what they want on the RFE:

- Residential lease or mortgage in our names.

- Bank accounts in both our names that shows support of the marital household.

- Joint health insurance.

It's clear enough, the problem is these things don't really exist. So I'm trying desperately to figure out what I can supply instead. One thing that did interest me was this specific phrase, included in the RFE...

"Affidavits can be used to support evidence" That's why I keep mentioning on the bank manager, insurance agent etc. part in conjunction with other evidence.

Again, thanks for the feedback and good-luck wishes so far.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

You always have a cover letter to explain!

I would send:

Joint filed taxes 2010 (get the transcripts of IRS, it takes about 5 -10 days to get them mailed, but they are the best. I think you can also get them faxed which is faster!)

Copy of the 'new' life insurance

Copy of the car insurance listing both of you as drivers (if not done yet)

Copy of car registration (best if they are in both of your names, but if one is to you and one is to your wife it at least shows the same address!)

Statement of the broker for health insurance why it is not possible to have a joint one, but copy of each of yours showing same address!

Copy of the business agreement

Copy of the bank account in her name, showing over the 2 year span of your marriage debits and credits that belong to both of you (e.g. paying your credit card, paying utility bills in both of your names, distributions to both of you, etc.) with copies of the bills paid, etc. Make it easy to identify, highlight the debit or credit, write a number, number the copies explaining the credit or debit. Show this for say 5 statements over the 2 years, showing 3 - 5 things on each statement.

Did you submit joint utility bills (cable, cell phone, water, internet, phone, electricity...)? I know they are sometimes hard to get, but they are good to have.

If it is not a big deal for you to get the bank account changed now and you want to do this (there might be a reason why it is better not to (liabilty, etc.)) then have it done.

Then explain in your letter:

The house we are living in, was my wife's house before we got married. We agreed that I will not be added to the title.

No joint health insurance because ... (attached please find the statement of our insurance broker and copies of the individual insurance ...)

The bank account mostly used for 'normal' stuff was the account my wife already had. She is handling our private finances with that account, and we just forgot about adding me to it. As the attached copies show our marital household was managed over that account. After talking to our bank manager I was added to the account on xxxx. It will make things easier for me, if my wife is not able to handle the finances for whatever reason.

This should show proof about your marriage.

Wishing you luck.

Sib

• 2 months later...
Filed: Timeline

So quick update: We ended up going a similar route to Sib's post above, but we managed to find some things that dated back from my old job at the very start of our marriage. We also had an immigration attorney we'd worked with before review the packet before we sent it in. She said she felt that what we'd assembled was "excellent".

Sent the packet FedEx, and it's been delivered according to their tracking system.

Is there any way to make sure USCIS has received it? I had until January 6th 2012 to respond. Ideally I'd like to ensure that they got it so I could resend if they didn't. I'd read in the forums that checking the case status online was unreliable for I-751's. Should I call them in a couple of weeks?

Cheers!

Great Post Sib, my cover letter stated why my name wasnt on the deeds to house and most of the utilities(my wife was living there when we met) i was added to her bank account making it joint, also added to a couple of the utilities.

did the normal things such as insurance ect.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.