Sign in to follow this  
May Ahn

Continueng my study in the US?

4 posts in this topic

I'm 18 years old, my fiance (30) and i are planning to send the k-1 this november. I am in my 4rth year high school. He's living in bakersfield, can I continue my study in the US? What should i bring as my requirements? Some of my friends says that I will be going back to high school before I could go to college. Please enlighten me.

Ahn

Can't tell you the facts, but, if you are edcucated any place other than the USA, you are about 12 years ahead of the process. Hint, you have graduated from high school. Take a SAT prep course. You will blow it away. You will get all sorts fo scholarhip offers. AGAIN, TAKE A SAT PREP COURSE. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It really depends on when you get here. If you get here early in the school year, they may let you enroll as a senior (or even a junior if you're lucky). I presume you'd like to get as much "free" education as possible. I remember when my cousin came here from Vietnam - he was 18, but they enrolled him as a junior. As a result, he got an extra year of ESL (English as a Second Language) class.

It also depends on what your education goals are. Do you just want to finish your high school or go to college? If you don't need the high school English classes (you write very well, BTW), then you could finish out your senior year in Vietnam and then take a high school equivalency exam when you get here for your college application.

Good luck!

I'm 18 years old, my fiance (30) and i are planning to send the k-1 this november. I am in my 4rth year high school. He's living in bakersfield, can I continue my study in the US? What should i bring as my requirements? Some of my friends says that I will be going back to high school before I could go to college. Please enlighten me.

Ahn

1st I think you'll have to translate in English all your degree-s; 2nd, take courses in English to improve it (yes, you are already articulate greatly in English), actually at the higher level you can. 3rd with those papers (translated in English) you'll have to submit them to schools in US or an external organization that specializes in foreing equivalencies, into the US system of education. I think this last process is mostly required for upper level of edu like universitiy degrees.

Finally, in order to equivalate your degrees in US, get all the descriptive documentation of courses/degree-s you can, even letters of teachers, etc...I maybe give more input than needed i think but just in case, that might give a wider perspective for your futur scholarship in the US. Best of luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.