~Jackie~

Buying a laptop/notebook

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

If you're not particularly technically inclined, I'd say get a Dell with the added warranty. If you do know a bit of something about computers, just get any old thing from Best Buy or whatever.

We bought my Mum a Dell because she's not really inclined, and now she can just call their customer service any time and they can fix it for her, or walk her thru it to fix it. If it breaks. I had a Dell desktop which I gave her when I moved and it lasted over 6 years. Then we bought her a new shiny one :)

Last year for hubby's birthday I got him a Toshiba with a 17 inch screen. We took it camping with us so we could watch DVDs :whistle:

Go into the stores and test drive them. Some you may like, others you may not, just because of keyboard lay out and the feel of it. When I used to have a laptop for work, I had an IBM for a while, then they "upgraded" me to a Toshiba, then back to IBM when the Toshiba fried. That was a few years ago tho, and I think Toshiba is a bit better now, but I still don't like their keyboard layout or the touchpad mouse.

I think they *all* come with wireless capabilities now, but also have a look at peripheral accessories like mouse and number pad. They're nice to have.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I bought a Compaq Presario 1010US widescreen about 2 1/2 years ago. It cost $1,000 and after just over a year (out of warranty), the screen stopped working !! I was told it would be about $500 for a new screen and so reluctantly I bought another laptop...

This time I bought an HP Pavilion DV1217US (also widescreen) for another $1,000 ish and within a year the battery was holding a charge for less than 1 hour of the originally promised 3 hours. I was told that batteries are not covered by the warranty !! I have therefore had to buy another battery (at $90) from a non HP supplier and this is working great so far.

As HP and Compaq are the same company, I will not buy products from them in the future. I am beginning to feel like an Apple might be my next purchase but they generally seem to be more expensive than other brands. Hopefully my current machine will keep working for a few more years....

We have installed a home network and also have wireless capability (around the house and also the back deck etc.) which is great :)

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy. Neil.

Edited by saturn5man

Neil (Preston, England) & Eva (North Carolina, USA)

27 September 2003 Church Wedding, England.

8 October 2004 -INTERVIEW---VISA GRANTED !!!

(Intervening time covered in VJ -Timeline Section)

10 Dec 2004 - Saturn finally came out of orbit and landed in NC !

(Check timeline for intervening period)

8th February 2006 - 'GREEN CARD' FINALLY GRANTED AT INTERVIEW IN CHARLOTTE, NC.

5th Wedding Anniversary due later this year, on 27th September 2008 - How time flies !

I am not a Lawyer and have never wanted or professed to be one. The views and comments I may express here are entirely my own and without any intended legal standing.

Hasn't Dell customer service gone to hell the past few years?

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

We love our Toshibas...we have one each and (touch wood) have not had any problems in the 3 yrs we have had them.

Removing of Conditions Timeline

05/29/2007 - Sent package to NSC

05/31/2007 - Package received by NSC

06/01/2007 - Date on NOA (1 day after they received our package!)

06/11/2007 - NOA and Biometrics notice received via snail-mail

06/21/2007 - Biometrics taken

04/03/2008 - Transferred to CSC

05/14/2008 - Approved (notified via email)

05/21/2008 - Card received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

yes, i will never again get an extended warranty. it's a waste of money.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

I would get one of those new Macbooks unless you need more performance than the average user under which circumstances, I'd go with the Macbook Pro. The pricetag is higher but you get more bang for your buck as there's tons of software installed and several gadgets are included (like the build in webcam) that you'd have to pay extra for on a PC. Apple's service is decent and, another nice aspect, they offer world-wide warranty.

As someone pointed out, you can also run Windows on the new Macs which means even if you're into gaming, you don't have to worry about owning a Mac (not that a Mac doesn't make a good gaming computer in itself). Btw, you can get relatively good deals on refurbs on Apple's website.

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Filed: Timeline

Toshiba.

Avoid Dell at all costs. Someone "having 3 Dell laptops with no problems" is not the norm at all.

Gateway makes nice laptops too, but nothing IMO beats a Toshiba for general usage.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

NO, just to India, Doh, didn't mean that hugs and kisses everyone... :lol:

All done for the next 10 years...

Now more then ever..."and Miles to go before I sleep and miles to go before I sleep"

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Toshiba.

Avoid Dell at all costs. Someone "having 3 Dell laptops with no problems" is not the norm at all.

Gateway makes nice laptops too, but nothing IMO beats a Toshiba for general usage.

I had a horrendous problem with Gateway in the UK a few years ago. I ordered the computer and waited a month and a half for delivery - the order somehow got stuck and everytime I called the customer service line (which took ages to pick up - because they, or the call center handling their calls was using "hold music" that sounds exactly like the ringing phone - a practice which is actually illegal in the UK) they told me that it was "packing", because they could only look up your account number and had no connection to the factory or the warehouse..

Ended up researching their company and calling their European Director at his desk. Seemed to be the only way to get the machine out of them. Then a couple years ago I discovered that the machine wasn't the exact spec I'd paid for - and they used an integrated graphics chip, rather than the separate AGP one that was supposed to be there.

Almost all of the big companies have atrocious customer service - Dell I personally have had no problem with, but if you google it, there are a whole bunch of customer complaints on various consumer websites. "Dell Hell" was their nickname a few years ago.

Best bet research the company before you spend any money - as if you back the wrong horse it causes a massive amount of grief.

Also if you do buy from Dell or some such - those companies usually have a forum (Dell does at least) so you can search under specific models and find out what "issues" other customers have had with them.

The early P4 Inspirons for example, were notoriously prone to overheating. Other models ship with substandard keyboards.

Edited by erekose

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I've got a Dell and it works great. I did break the screen but thank goodness I had insurance. the service for getting it repaired was super fast! I couldn't believe it. So one thing to say: GET THE INSURANCE!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

He recently bought a acer, it has pentium dou core tech and warranty etc, was about $600 after $200 rebate, no problems. I heard TOshibas are good as well

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I have a Toshiba personally, which in hindsight I should have paid the extra hundred bucks and got the Pentium processor. The Celeron struggles, and I also had to add more RAM for it to cope with certain applications. Other than that, I love it to death. The screen is broken, but I think that may be something to do with me dropping it one-too-many times.

My work machine is an IBM R40, which is good and solid. It has good battery life and runs at a decent speed with our integrated database applications, which are pretty memory intensive.

I would also say DON'T GET A DELL! My family and I have had nothing but "Friday-Afternoon" models, and there's always something going wrong with both the desktops and the laptops. Saying that, my husband has one, has had it a while and is very happy with it. It's a personal issue of mine - you would have to pay me what the Dell cost for me to have one given the history we've had with them.

:star:

Edited by ChristinaM

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.