~Jackie~

Buying a laptop/notebook

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ouch, Can't give you much help. But, those people who build computers say buy something from someone who builds (this could be self serving). What are you looking for. Both Dell and Gateway will give you a cheap basic and then cut off and arm and a leg to build it into something more complicated. If you do not need to go beyond basic, they are okay.

Date I-129F Sent : 03/17/2006

Date I-129F NOA1: 04/03/2006

I-129F RFE(s) : 08/10/2006

I-129F RFE Reply(s) : 08/17/2006

Date I-129F NOA2 (Approved) : 08/18/2006

Date Package Received By NVC : 09/05/2006

Date Sent to Embassy: 09/18/2006 assigned number MNL2006743xxx

Date Embassy received 09/26/2006

letter-touched 10/17/2006

information on medical and interview 11/17/2006

Packet with Information 11/29/2006

Medical 1/12/2007

Interview 1/19/2007

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Dell.

Dell

Dell

They RULE. You can totally build exactly what you want. The service is great and they last and last.

i've never had a complaint and i've owned 3 dell laptops

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bahamas
Timeline

mmm.... i have a dell laptop that works pretty well... i haven't broken it yet so that's always a good sign. :D

features depend on what you are using it for. writing, games, graphics/photo editing, internet surfing, etc.... and if its gonna stay at home as a desktop replacement, or travel with you... and of course, what your budget is.

i am not a tech guru, so i would recommend checking out CNET for their reviews and recommendations, as well as epinions, or zdnet.

good luck! :thumbs:

Adjustment of Status

July 1 2006 - Sent EAD & AOS packet

Sept 19 2006 - EAD APPROVED

Sept 22 2006 - AOS APPROVED

Sept 23 2006 - EAD card arrived

Sept 29 2006 - GC arrived!!!

Removal of Conditions

Jul 9 2008 - Filed @ VSC

Feb 25 2009 - Transferred to CSC

June 20 2009 - Card production ordered

NATURALIZATION

Aug 24 2009 - Mailed N-400 priority mail

Aug 26 2009 - rec'd at TX Lockbox

Aug 27 2009 - NOA1 (rec'd 8/31)

Aug 28 2009 - check cashed

Sept 4 2009 - biometrics notice [rec'd Sept 9]

Sept 25 2009 - Biometrics

Oct 17 2009 - Email about file transfer for interview

Oct 21 2009 - Interview Letter Rec'd

Dec 8 2009 - Interview - PASSED!!!!!!

Dec 19 2009 - Oath Letter rec'd

Jan 14 2010 - OATH CEREMONY!!!!

Jan 15 2010 - Passport app.

Jan 21 2010 - Nat. cert. returned

Jan 22 2010 - Passport rec'd

Filed: Timeline

I want to be on VJ 24/7 :lol: Seriously, I want to get the wireless broadband thingy so I can go online anywhere. I will just be using it for emails and ebay.

Oh and for work I will be using it for flooring programs and diagrams. Nothing fancy. Do I want a 15 in or 17 inch screen?

Thanks for the replies :thumbs:

Jackie

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

if doing math heavy work (3D graphics, worksheets, etc) stay away from celeron chips. if you can swing the price of a wide screen go for it... otherwise.. HP is about the same as Dell. Gateway also is nice at times, but cheaply made IMO. other than that... not a major difference.. price for value is in chipset and HD space along with ram... if you can afford it.. get about 1gig of ram.

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I tend to use IBM think pads, I purchased them on Ebay 1 was new from IBM but was a close out lasted me a good 3 years, my current one is a used A31p model, it is ruggedly built and a good work horse.

Now if I were to replace the thinkpad I may just go for one of the new Apple notebooks, I could run both Windows and OS X on it, and probably do most things in OS X, and things that absolutely need Windows, I could just boot the apple into Windows, i am doing that now with a Mac Mini.

The Mac OS is a very elegant and easy one to get used to, this coming from a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, me.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I tend to use IBM think pads, I purchased them on Ebay 1 was new from IBM but was a close out lasted me a good 3 years, my current one is a used A31p model, it is ruggedly built and a good work horse.

Now if I were to replace the thinkpad I may just go for one of the new Apple notebooks, I could run both Windows and OS X on it, and probably do most things in OS X, and things that absolutely need Windows, I could just boot the apple into Windows, i am doing that now with a Mac Mini.

The Mac OS is a very elegant and easy one to get used to, this coming from a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, me.

T40 - T43 series models are quite nice.

I have owned an Apple iBook for three years now, and I've been very happy with it.

Quite a lot depends on what you want to do with it. If you're into computer games, don't bother with an Apple as there aren't as many games and they never come down in price. But if you just do e-mail, word processing, and Internet, Apple is great. The wireless adapter is very easy to use (comes in every laptop.) And the new Apple laptops can run Windows or OSX, and you can switch.

A number of my friends have Dells, and while they're affordable, most all of them have needed major repair work at some point. Dell has pretty decent customer service, but for a while it seemed like they needed good customer service as their machines fried all the time.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

We have a Gateway CX2620 which is a widescreen tablet (you can write on the screen with a stylus, and flip it around so it's flat and the keyboard is hidden). I really wanted a tablet, we had the extra money, and that one was cheap and so far we love it.

My last Gateway laptop was dirt-cheap in early 2000 and still runs reasonably well and can surf the internet and do word processing (Office 95). Granted the eraserhead mouse stopped working a year or so ago, but still. We mainly replaced it because the graphics card wasn't dealing too well with super-graphics-tastic web pages.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

I like my toshiba

it's red :)

ROTFL!

I have a Gateway, 17in widescreen....that's all I know....and it works...good :thumbs:

Edited by welshcookie