1rhamps

US Citizen contractors working overseas

13 posts in this topic

I am an American citizen working in Kosovo, I work on an American Base and have been here for 3 years. My wife is from Kosovo and we have been married almost 1 year. I am currently filling out my I-130 and because of the 15th August Immigration changes I have to file it in the U.S. and not at the DCF. My address here is an APO AE address and this is giving me a headache right from the start. Any advice on the I-130 using an APO ADDRESS. i WILL KEEP THIS FORUM UPDATED ON MY ADVENTURES STEP BY STEP.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I am an American citizen working in Kosovo, I work on an American Base and have been here for 3 years. My wife is from Kosovo and we have been married almost 1 year. I am currently filling out my I-130 and because of the 15th August Immigration changes I have to file it in the U.S. and not at the DCF. My address here is an APO AE address and this is giving me a headache right from the start. Any advice on the I-130 using an APO ADDRESS. i WILL KEEP THIS FORUM UPDATED ON MY ADVENTURES STEP BY STEP.

Good intensions - keep it up.

USA

01/08/13 - Approved and GC is order for production on 1/8/14

09/12/13 - Case transferred to CSC. NOA2 received on 09/18/13

08/30/13 - Biometrics Done - No walk ins allowed at this LSC (received on 8/16/13).

08/05/13 - NOA1 (received on 08/10/13)

08/01/13 - Mailed I-751 (received on 8/2/13 - check cashed on 8/5/13)

12/28/11 - Received SSN (applied on 12/20/11, as we didn't get based on DS-230 options)
11/28/11 - Received Green Card (Expires on 10/30/13) - Welcome Letter on 11/17/11
10/30/11 - POE - Houston, TX

Chennai Consulate (40 days)
10/28/11 - Received Visa papers and Passport at VFS
10/25/11 - Interview Cleared Successfully (Spouse was not allowed in)

NVC: (90 days from NOA2 to Consulate)
08/31/11 - Case Completed (Interview 10/25/11) - Received at Chennai on 09/19/11
07/22/11 - NVC Case Number

USCIS: (92 days)

6/21/11 - NOA2 (NOA1 on 3/25/11) - took a month to get to NVC
3/21/11 - I-130 sent to USCIS Lockbox, Chicago.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Your APO address is fine for the top right of the petition and for your G325a but there's also a question about where your beneficiary intends to live in the USA. This will be asked again on her actual visa application. You'll need to make plans for this, even if they are going to be temporary. You'll also have to deal with showing the intent to establish domicile in the USA and qualify as sponsor. If your current income will not continue from the same source once you return to the USA, and you don't have a big chunk of cash in the bank, (3 times the income requirement) you'll need to get a job in the USA before you submit the affidavit of support or find a qualified joint sponsor.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I am the petitioner On my I-130 I have put my APO address as being my address (this is because officially I live on the base).

On my G-325a again I put my address as the APO, even when my home of record is Las Vegas. I did this because I do not want any address conflicts or confusion as to where I am currently based, being I am a contractor.

I have 2 questions:

1 on the G-325a QUESTION- this form is submitted in connection with an application:(NATURALIZATION, STATUS AS PERMANENT RESIDENT, OTHER,) I put Other I-130

2 I put the same on my wife's G-325A, and she fills out bottom of form and signs and dates

Once these documents are completed I will send to the U.S. Monday/Tuesday 17/18 October 2011

Edited by 1rhamps

Timeline

I am the petitioner On my I-130 I have put my APO address as being my address (this is because officially I live on the base).

On my G-325a again I put my address as the APO, even when my home of record is Las Vegas. I did this because I do not want any address conflicts or confusion as to where I am currently based, being I am a contractor.

I have 2 questions:

1 on the G-325a QUESTION- this form is submitted in connection with an application:(NATURALIZATION, STATUS AS PERMANENT RESIDENT, OTHER,) I put Other I-130

2 I put the same on my wife's G-325A, and she fills out bottom of form and signs and dates

Once these documents are completed I will send to the U.S. Monday/Tuesday 17/18 October 2011

Sounds good. So, did you put your Las Vegas address for where she intends to live in the USA?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Yes, I put my wife will be going to the address in Las Vegas. All my bills, Driving license, bank documents, go to the address in Las Vegas, so I am hoping to use these documents to show proof of domicile in the states, if needed. I have read a lot of the posts on this site, and been to the embassy here in skopje. I get a general feeling that the hardest part of this process is getting past the initial 2 document phases in the USA. Once it reaches the embassy in skopje they have a better insight into the situation here and why I have done it this way.

example:1. a snail mail system is does not exist here so sending any documents would never get here to my wifes address where I also live unofficially, but can prove.

2. Back in the states my status as a security contractor working on a military base is still a gray area, My home of record is in the USA but I live in a different country, work for a Foreign company for the U.S. government. The embassy personnel have a better insight as quite a few are in the same boat I am in.

If there is anything you know that would help please post. Thanks for the feed back

Timeline

Yes, I put my wife will be going to the address in Las Vegas. All my bills, Driving license, bank documents, go to the address in Las Vegas, so I am hoping to use these documents to show proof of domicile in the states, if needed. I have read a lot of the posts on this site, and been to the embassy here in skopje. I get a general feeling that the hardest part of this process is getting past the initial 2 document phases in the USA. Once it reaches the embassy in skopje they have a better insight into the situation here and why I have done it this way.

example:1. a snail mail system is does not exist here so sending any documents would never get here to my wifes address where I also live unofficially, but can prove.

2. Back in the states my status as a security contractor working on a military base is still a gray area, My home of record is in the USA but I live in a different country, work for a Foreign company for the U.S. government. The embassy personnel have a better insight as quite a few are in the same boat I am in.

If there is anything you know that would help please post. Thanks for the feed back

All sounds good and yes the Consular staff will understand the situation. You'll still need to deal with sponsorship though when the time comes. You will not qualify based on your current job unless the income would continue from the same source once you arrive in the USA.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

All sounds good and yes the Consular staff will understand the situation. You'll still need to deal with sponsorship though when the time comes. You will not qualify based on your current job unless the income would continue from the same source once you arrive in the USA.

I have a question about the G-325a

where it says: this form is submitted in connection with an application for: NATURALIZATION, STATUS AS PERMANENT RESIDENT, OR OTHER SPECIFY which box do I check for my wifes G-325A????

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I have a question about the G-325a

where it says: this form is submitted in connection with an application for: NATURALIZATION, STATUS AS PERMANENT RESIDENT, OR OTHER SPECIFY which box do I check for my wifes G-325A????

Check "Other" and write "Form I-130."

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Thx much

This answer is clearly indicated on the sample forms here. Careful study of the guides and sample forms may well be critical to your success.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

• 5 years later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 10/13/2011 at 11:55 PM, 1rhamps said:

I have 2 questions:

I have read that the Address for the APO is for Mailing purposes only and once you are ready to move to to the US, you file a change of address with the USCIS and that will be forwarded to the VC to be added to your packet. Check out the thread on my profile under Proof of Domicile. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Five-year-old thread is now closed to further comment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.