madz

221 G NBI written explanation for NO CRIMINAL RECORD

55 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone. Sorry for being unable to get back to you. After several months of waiting. My visa had arrived just yesterday. October 18..Thank you Lord. Anyway,just a recap.

Aug 17. - Interview at USEM

Sept 28 - (Friday) Call from USEM to pick up of request..brought to NBI.

Oct 5 - (Friday) USEM picks up letters of explanations and makes all transactions every fridays

Oct 8 - (Monday) US holiday - Columbus day..no work

Oct 9 - (Tuesday)USEM called. they have already received the letter of explanation from NBI and asked if I can leave urgently once the visa is issued considering my Medical Exam expires on Nov 1. I replied "Yes". And she said she will put a note on it so the consul can consider the time frame.

Oct 12 - Ff-up made through phone. Sarcastic lady just asked me to wait since I just recently got a call from the embassy.

I sent another email to ivmanilareplies@state.gov giving my situation that I have to help out in taking care of my baby

in the US and I am requesting for my papers to be expedited since my medical exam is expiring.

Oct 15 - (Monday)Got an email reply. My visa was issued and will be sent soon.

Oct 18 - Visa Arrived

Anyway, I hope things will work out also for all of you guys.

@jmangalili - We do have to submit all the case resolutions before being an issued an NBI clearance which will appear as "NO CRIMINAL RECORD".

Although the US embassy recognizes such clearance. They don't have any concrete evidence of what kind of crime a person may have

been accused. So they would need a "LETTER OF EXPLANATION" from the NBI that would state your case since they are the ones who have

issued the clearance. In our minds, they have already received our documents that's why a clearance was issued. Another problem

lies with the DATA ENCODING process. So our cases may have not been entered in the database right now due to probably piles of data

that are still to be encoded. So the evaluator told me that to be able to hasten the process they would again interview the applicant

ask for supporting documents such as the case resolutions. But for an applicant to be interviewed by the NBI. He/She should receive that

invitation from the US embassy.

Based on experience, there is a really big miscommunication from both parties that may have not been resolved at this moment

which is why you're in the same boat as I was before. When you try to call the embassy, they will say they already requested a

LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION from the NBI and they are waiting for their reply/RECOMMENDATION should an interview be needed or not.

Which, on the other hand, the NBI does not not recognize, in my opinion. Because if that was the case, then a formal letter of reply

should be made beyond their highlighted list of names which apparently does not seem to be recognized as well by the USEM.

I know, I have just been redundant with my story. The point is... a LETTER OF EXPLANATION is different from a LETTER OF

RECOMMENDATION. To be constructive, what I may suggest to you is go to NBI, main office, 4th flr IRD office, and ask the person who

manages/receives the USEM requests. Then politely state your case and what I have said in this forum. Then verify if they already have

the request from the embassy regarding your case. And if they do, then call the USEM and tell them that the NBI is also waiting for you

to come to be interviewed so they can make the letter of explanation. But such proceeding will not take place without a paper/invite

(whatever they call it) that will come from the USEM that the NBI is requiring you present. And such paper/invite is mailed to you,

which you will receive by regular mail according to the NBI personnel. So how long it takes, I'm not really sure. And in that instance,

ask for a resolution from them as well. Explain to them whatever the NBI will be telling you. Ask them if you can pick up that letter

of invitation at USEM instead.

In my case, it took me more than a month I guess. Sorry if replied late. Try to do these steps I told you. I hope it helps and that you

can also finish on time. My Medical Exam expires Nov 1. I hope yours is in the 3rd or 4th week of Nov so you can have ample time to

process. And also, Once you know that the USEM has already received you letter of explanation, try to also email

ivmanilareplies@state.gov if they can possibly expedite your case since your Medical exam is expiring. Without the NBI letter of

explanation in their hands, such request will not be granted.

Good Luck and God bless you all. :)

Edited by newbie101

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone. Sorry for being unable to get back to you. After several months of waiting. My visa had arrived just yesterday. October 18..Thank you Lord. Anyway,just a recap.

Aug 17. - Interview at USEM

Sept 28 - (Friday) Call from USEM to pick up of request..brought to NBI.

Oct 5 - (Friday) USEM picks up letters of explanations and makes all transactions every fridays

Oct 8 - (Monday) US holiday - Columbus day..no work

Oct 9 - (Tuesday)USEM called. they have already received the letter of explanation from NBI and asked if I can leave urgently once the visa is issued considering my Medical Exam expires on Nov 1. I replied "Yes". And she said she will put a note on it so the consul can consider the time frame.

Oct 12 - Ff-up made through phone. Sarcastic lady just asked me to wait since I just recently got a call from the embassy.

I sent another email to ivmanilareplies@state.gov giving my situation that I have to help out in taking care of my baby

in the US and I am requesting for my papers to be expedited since my medical exam is expiring.

Oct 15 - (Monday)Got an email reply. My visa was issued and will be sent soon.

Oct 18 - Visa Arrived

Anyway, I hope things will work out also for all of you guys.

@jmangalili - We do have to submit all the case resolutions before being an issued an NBI clearance which will appear as "NO CRIMINAL RECORD".

Although the US embassy recognizes such clearance. They don't have any concrete evidence of what kind of crime a person may have

been accused. So they would need a "LETTER OF EXPLANATION" from the NBI that would state your case since they are the ones who have

issued the clearance. In our minds, they have already received our documents that's why a clearance was issued. Another problem

lies with the DATA ENCODING process. So our cases may have not been entered in the database right now due to probably piles of data

that are still to be encoded. So the evaluator told me that to be able to hasten the process they would again interview the applicant

ask for supporting documents such as the case resolutions. But for an applicant to be interviewed by the NBI. He/She should receive that

invitation from the US embassy.

Based on experience, there is a really big miscommunication from both parties that may have not been resolved at this moment

which is why you're in the same boat as I was before. When you try to call the embassy, they will say they already requested a

LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION from the NBI and they are waiting for their reply/RECOMMENDATION should an interview be needed or not.

Which, on the other hand, the NBI does not not recognize, in my opinion. Because if that was the case, then a formal letter of reply

should be made beyond their highlighted list of names which apparently does not seem to be recognized as well by the USEM.

I know, I have just been redundant with my story. The point is... a LETTER OF EXPLANATION is different from a LETTER OF

RECOMMENDATION. To be constructive, what I may suggest to you is go to NBI, main office, 4th flr IRD office, and ask the person who

manages/receives the USEM requests. Then politely state your case and what I have said in this forum. Then verify if they already have

the request from the embassy regarding your case. And if they do, then call the USEM and tell them that the NBI is also waiting for you

to come to be interviewed so they can make the letter of explanation. But such proceeding will not take place without a paper/invite

(whatever they call it) that will come from the USEM that the NBI is requiring you present. And such paper/invite is mailed to you,

which you will receive by regular mail according to the NBI personnel. So how long it takes, I'm not really sure. And in that instance,

ask for a resolution from them as well. Explain to them whatever the NBI will be telling you. Ask them if you can pick up that letter

of invitation at USEM instead.

In my case, it took me more than a month I guess. Sorry if replied late. Try to do these steps I told you. I hope it helps and that you

can also finish on time. My Medical Exam expires Nov 1. I hope yours is in the 3rd or 4th week of Nov so you can have ample time to

process. And also, Once you know that the USEM has already received you letter of explanation, try to also email

ivmanilareplies@state.gov if they can possibly expedite your case since your Medical exam is expiring. Without the NBI letter of

explanation in their hands, such request will not be granted.

Good Luck and God bless you all. :)

Thanks Newbie 101 for sharing with us your experience , surely it'll help a lot.

• 1 year later...

Guys need help with this mind of similar situations to my mother, the us embassy in manila have sent me an email regarding about my moms, previous record , they are wanting a nbi explanations letters too, so here's a thing, they told my mom to go to remits to nbi to get interview today since they did not say when can she go to get her interview along with her dismissal record frm her previous case, they told her she needed to get interview first by us embassy before she can come back to get her nbi interview, or I guess letter from them, my mom and dad is schedule to be interview on August 8,

I'm just wondering how all if this things works? Do I have to cancel theirs plane ticket ( sept 05 2014) since from what I'm reading it will take long for them to get theirs visa,? We'll for my mom, ? I'm really confuse , I know my mom have her letter of dismissal of her case , but still worried pls help!!

Ooh gosh I just rad my own reply , typing real fast is not a good thing sometimes, ok here is a better explanations,, After the us embassy sent me an email about my moms case, I told her to go and get her interview at the nbi as soon as possible! Since the email did not say when can she go and get the nbi interview done, so she went today, July 21 they told her that she needed to get interview first by us embassy before she can get her nbi letter /interview,

My questions is is is this really how it works? After interview is when they will have to get to nbi in ermita to get what they will ask to get!?

Sooo confusing, I'm really,worried :/

• 2 months later...

Got the same thing with my father. He needs NBI letter of explanation. I received an email from USEM regarding the instructions so i told my dad to print it and bring it to the NBI the 4th floor of what the previous person posted it, i will try to follow the steps of what she did but i hope it wont take too long since their medical will expire on january.

by the way, whats the number of the USEM?

CITIZENSHIP 06-19-2013 Sent N400 Application (Chicago Lockbox)

06-21-2013 USCIS received my N400 application

06-25-2013 USCIS mailed the NOA1

06-28-2013 USCIS mailed the Biometrics appt

07-01-2013 Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt letter

​07-15-2013 Biometrics Appt.

08-27-2013 Interview/Test passed

10-07-2013 Oath taking

IR-5 MOM AND DAD

02-20-2014 mailed I-130 for my parents

02-24-2014 USCIS received the I-130 docs

03-17-2014 USCIS approved the petition (took 15 days, weekdays only)

03-25-2014 USCIS shipped the approved case to NVC

04-02-2014 NVC received the papers (6 days from the approval date)

05-01-2014 Got the 2 case numbers. (21 days)

05-07-2014 Got an email & paid the AOS fee (4 days); DS-261(Choice of Agent) sent

05-09-2014 AOS status "PAID" (2 days from the date the was paid)

05-22-2014 AOS docs delivered in NVC

06-27-2014 RFE for I864 and I864A (i left the Place of residence blank, 26 days from the date they received the AOS)

06-28-2014 Mailed the corrected forms to NVC

06-30-2014 NVC received the AOS corrected forms

07-01-2014 Received IV Bill Invoice, paid.

07-02-2014 PAID status of the mother

07-07-2014 PAID status of the father

07-08-2014 Mailed the supporting docs

07-10-2014 Supporting docs arrived at NVC

07-11-2014 Submitted DS260 of mother

07-13-2014 Submitted DS260 of father

09-04-2014 Called NVC and the lady said CASE COMPLETE! (136 days total from the day they received the I-130)

09-11-2014 Received an email regarding the Interview (5 days from the day the case was completed)

09-15-2014 Status "In Transit" inCEAC

09-16-2014 Status "Ready" CEAC

10-03-2014 Interview/AP/USEM (no record of their medical,DAD needs to get an NBI explanation letter&new NBI clearance with his "aka"

10-8-2014 Mom called St Lukes and asked about the medical results, they said they submitted it already back in June

10-10-2014 Mom mailed the NBI Clearance of my dad

10-14-2014 NBI clearance delivered in USEM

10-06-2014 Visa Issued CEAC

10-09-2014 Got an email that my dad's visa was issued

10-14-2014 Visa delivered 11-29-2014 POE

12-08-2014 SS Card arrived

• 3 months later...
Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Giskat09, Did the NBI sent the written explanation of your dad to the embassy themselves? did your dad do an interview at the NBI?

My dad went to his interview and put his case on hold because they need a written explanation from the NBI, I just want to know how long it took. Thanks!

Giskat09, Did the NBI sent the written explanation of your dad to the embassy themselves? did your dad do an interview at the NBI?

My dad went to his interview and put his case on hold because they need a written explanation from the NBI, I just want to know how long it took. Thanks!

wait 2-3 weeks aftr the interview of email from embassy..print it and bring the copy to the person stated in the letter..nbi will be the one to forward the letter of explaination to the US embassy..expect more or less 1 month delay for visa issuance...if all is clear with nbi and no problem after your interview with them..important thing is to bring all dismissals or clearances from previous case/cases... Edited by hon08

MY TIMELINE K1/K2 VISA

04/07/2014 : NOA 2

04/22/2014 : NVC w/ MNL case number

07/30/2014 : Medicals SLEC w/ (2)K2

08/04/2014 : My Psych Evaluation Schedule (due to my Annulment)

08/07/2014 : Psych Interview Passed (received a call from SLEC)

08/08/2014 : My Immunization

08/15/2014 : Pending approved due to CRBA and NBI

09/05/2014 : Applied for CRBA

11/12/2014 : CRBA approved

12/04/2014 : Visa Issued

12/16/2014 : POE-SFO

12/26/2014 : Married

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS W/ MY K2

03/09/2015 : Packet Sent thru USPS

03/12/2015 : Packet delivered CHICAGO lockbox

04/07/2015: : Done w/ biometrics (early walk-in)

04/13/2015: : Status changed to "Case Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

05/21/2015 : EAD/AP Approved

05/22/2015 : EAD updated to "Card being ordered to be produced"

05/28/2015 : EAD card mailed to me

05/30/2015 : EAD/AP combo card and notice 1-797 received

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

wait 2-3 weeks aftr the interview of email from embassy..print it and bring the copy to the person stated in the letter..nbi will be the one to forward the letter of explaination to the US embassy..expect more or less 1 month delay for visa issuance...if all is clear with nbi and no problem after your interview with them..important thing is to bring all dismissals or clearances from previous case/cases...

hi :) my NBI is already QC'd prior to my interview... I mean, I was QC'd twice, 1st is 2007 and latest is june 2014 and my case was dismissed since 2003.. am i still need to go to NBI for another interview?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Old but ongoing thread moved from "Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America" forum to the Philippines regional forum -- NBI is country-specific.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi :) my NBI is already QC'd prior to my interview... I mean, I was QC'd twice, 1st is 2007 and latest is june 2014 and my case was dismissed since 2003.. am i still need to go to NBI for another interview?

Embassy instructions letter states:

d. NBI CLEARANCE (Green Form). Applicants aged 16 years and older must have a valid Record Clearance (for travel abroad purposes) from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). Clearances should be in the applicant’s current name, birth certificate name, maiden name and any aliases or nicknames used, including different spellings you have used of those names. An official letter of explanation from the NBI is required for any notation of “No criminal record” or "No pending case”. For immigration purposes, an NBI clearance is valid for one (1) year from the date it was issued. The NBI website is http://www.nbi.gov.ph.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/1178798/29DEC2014/K1%20and%20K2%20Interview%20Preparation%20Instructions%20-%20English%20_updated%2029%20DEC%202014_.pdf

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 2 weeks later...

Yes after your interview ,the CO will tell you about it that they need a written explanation from NBI..wait for their email and instructions..they will email u after the interview for 221g then will email you again on where and who to look for at NBI main.

MY TIMELINE K1/K2 VISA

Timeline

Yes after your interview ,the CO will tell you about it that they need a written explanation from NBI..wait for their email and instructions..they will email u after the interview for 221g then will email you again on where and who to look for at NBI main.

hi hon08 :) i got the 2nd email day before 3rd week of 221g:) and now, I'm having a hard time getting the copy of my court dismissal from Manila City Hall :( the staff just told me to write the case number & my mobile number. I asked if i can get any number where i can follow up.. but she refused to give me and said just wait for her tx coz its not easy to dig an old case :(

You need your court dismissal to present..they won't be giving LOE to USEM without any basis from your documents..good luck on your journey.

MY TIMELINE K1/K2 VISA

hi hon08 :) i got the 2nd email day before 3rd week of 221g:) and now, I'm having a hard time getting the copy of my court dismissal from Manila City Hall :( the staff just told me to write the case number & my mobile number. I asked if i can get any number where i can follow up.. but she refused to give me and said just wait for her tx coz its not easy to dig an old case :(

We went through the same thing as you are. But in our case, my wife knew somebody at the Court House and she personally looked for the documents. Took her one day but it was difficult but she said they had a pretty good system to search. I hope Manila does but just the size of that city would say this could take sometime. Good luck.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

We went through the same thing as you are. But in our case, my wife knew somebody at the Court House and she personally looked for the documents. Took her one day but it was difficult but she said they had a pretty good system to search. I hope Manila does but just the size of that city would say this could take sometime. Good luck.

Hi greenbaum :) good news :) i got my court order yesterday, the lady txted me that she found my file.. She said, im lucky coz my case is for disposal since it was 2003. just want to ask how many sets does ur wife did for certified true copy? i made 3sets of photocopy, 1 set of certified true copy and 2 certified true copies of the dismissal order.. i submitted one original in NBI yesterday as well..

Is it true that will look for it by the time im in US or in POE?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.