amarceau

Establishing Credit in US

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm trying to find out how hard/easy it is to establish your credit history in the US? I have excellent credit in Canada & I'm wondering if US banks will pull my Canadian credit bureau to establish a credit score on me? My husband & I are hoping to buy a house within 2 months of me getting there along with a car..... Anyone having any trouble doing this ?

Angela

***I751***

01/06/2009 - Mailed I-751 with Fee (Day 1)

01/09/2009 - Check Cashed (Day 3)

01/15/2009 - NOA received (Day 9)

02/05/2009 - Biometrics Appointment (Day 30)

06/10/2009 - Approval!

Best way may be an "extra" card on one of your spouse's credit card accounts.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Trying to get them to check your Canadian credit is like pulling teeth. A very few will go to the trouble to check with Equifax Canada but the majority won't bother and have no interest in trying. You may want to obtain a copy of your Canadian credit history and bring it with you, although there is no guarantee it will hold any weight with whomever you deal in the US. The best way to gain a credit record in the US is to be added to your husband's credit cards, and to take out a loan of some type. We also took out a car loan with both of our names on it just so I would be able to establish a US credit rating (and for me to have a car, of course:-) ). It is unlikely you will be able to get a loan on your own. Sorry for the news but you will most likely be starting over in the US, credit wise.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Although this WILL NOT help you establish history (for US credit), it may be a good idea to apply for a US$ credit card from a Canadian issuer (such as Citi Canada). While one CAN use "regular" Canadian credit cards in US, the Canada-US exchange rate ALWAYS clobbers you (where with the US$ card, you simply pay the amount in US$).

Basically helpful for getting petrol, etc. The first card I used in US was this type (took me a year of renting apartment and leasing car to get a history which was noticeable).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Other Timeline

yep, what they said!

There are dozens upon dozens of threads around here with tips on how to establish credit in the US. Have a search.

If you have an AMEX or MBNA credit card, you *may* be able to get them to give you a US $ card, IF you've got a job and an SSN when you apply. If not, keep your Canadian $ cards until you do have a job and SSN, then get a US$ account.

I got a MBNA US$ account by filling out one of their applications and sent along a copy of my MBNA Canada account statement. They confirmed my account in Canada, and sent me a US card. And have since even raised my credit limit. Again :whistle:

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Kathryn41 is right. you'll basically be starting from scratch. Do you have an american express card in Canada? If so, they can do something called 'global transfer' for you. I was in the same situation. But if you have an Amex, then can do that for u.. so you'll at least have 1 credit card.

I did not have any credit when i went to the states and equifax and 2 other credit bureaus will not cross check the canadian side of my credit (even though all 3 bureaus have operations in Canada. I was told the computer systems do not 'talk' to each other)

Have your spouse get you a credit card and go from there... you'll have 'credit' probably after a year... good luck!

I-130 Sent : July 17, 06

NOA1 : July 27

Nov 22, file is 'pending'

Nov 28, Touched

Dec 4, APPROVED!!!! ^__^

Dec 6, NVC Case Number Assigned

Dec 18, DS-3032 & AOS bill sent

Dec 21, NVC accepted choice of agent via email

Dec 22, Sent AOS bill using James' shortcuts

Dec 25, IV Bill Generated

Jan 9, Sent I-864 using James' shortcuts

Jan 15, IV bill arrived

Jan 16, IV Bill Paid

Jan 19, IV bill processed

Jan 22, I-864 being reviewed

Jan 29, Sent DS-230 using James' shortcuts

Feb 13, CASE COMPLETED!!

Apr 13, INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!

Apr 28, Entered USA, POE Vancouver. Told that my visa stamp serves as a temporary Green Card.

I-129F Sent : Aug 20, 06

NOA1 : Aug 31, 06

Oct 23, 06, received email that case forwarded to CSC

Oct 27, 06, received email saying that case has reached CSC

Nov 22, 06, note said file received and pending

Dec 13, 06, Touched with same note as above

ABANDONING K3

I-751 Sent on Jan 28, 09 to remove conditions

Feb 1 - Check cashed

Feb 25 - Biometrics

Jun 1 - Approved! (Decision date was May 26, 09)

Now waiting for green card...

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was just at my bank today and another suggestion I was given for establishing credit is to put some cash in a Certificate of Deposit and then borrow against it..........kinda like a secured credit card to a degree.

And like everything else ..........gotta have that good ole SSN

google.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you want to buy a house that fast Id get letters of credit from all of the people you deal with in Canada like your bank, Utility companies, credit card companies etc. These letters of credit can be used to establish credit for a mortgage. Many mortgage brokers are used to International clients and dealing with foreign credit. You just have to find the right people. A real estate firm can be a great help.

IR1

April 14, 2004 I-130 NOA1

April 25, 2005 IR1 Received

April 26, 2005 POE Dorval Airport

May 13, 2005 Welcome to America Letters Received

May 21, 2005 PR Card in Mail

May 26, 2005 Applied for SSN at local office

June 06, 2005 SSN Received

June 11, 2005 Driver Licence Issued!

June 20, 2005 Deb gets a Check Card! Just like Donald Trump's!

Citizenship

Jan 30, 2008 N400 Mailed off to the VSC!

Feb 2, 2008 N400 Received at VSC

Feb 6, 2008 Check Cashed!

Feb 13, 2008 NOA1 Received

Feb 15, 2008 Fingerprint letter received. (Feb 26th scheduled)

Feb 18, 2008 Mailed out the old Please Reschedule us for Biometics <sigh>...

Feb 27, 2008 Received the new scheduled biometrics.

Mar 15, 2008 Biometrics Rescheduled.

Sep 18, 2008 Interview Letter Recieved.

Nov 11, 2008 Interview Passed :-).

Nov 14, 2008 Oath Cerimony.

Filed: Timeline
I was just at my bank today and another suggestion I was given for establishing credit is to put some cash in a Certificate of Deposit and then borrow against it..........kinda like a secured credit card to a degree.

I've just opened a US bank account and put some money into a CD... haven't attempt applying for a US credit card yet :-P How do you borrow against a CD...?

Edited by echomyst

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've just opened a US bank account and put some money into a CD... haven't attempt applying for a US credit card yet :-P How do you borrow against a CD...?

To be perfectly honest .........not a clue! Im just going by what the loan officer at the bank told me. Im not even really sure how to balance my checkbook

Edited by CutienPurg
google.gif

Filed: Timeline
To be perfectly honest .........not a clue! Im just going by what the loan officer at the bank told me. Im not even really sure how to balance my checkbook

LOL! I'm glad I'm not the only clueless one. Ah well, for now I'm just sucking up the exchange rates and using my Canadian credit cards.

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just went through this here in Texas. If you get a card on your spouse's account it does not help to properly gather credit...some card companies won't use that as your credit it at all....you would simply have signing authority on the card but it does not help with your credit.

At Wells Fargo they added me to my wife's account and then they offer a "secured credit card". Basically you pay between 300-5000 dollars depending on what you want the card limit to be and they give you that card and you use it and it helps to build up quick credit. Once you have used it and built up credit for a year they give you the money back you put in to begin with and then convert the card to a regular credit card and increase the limit from there.

Just another suggestion in a confusing situation!

Filed: Other Timeline

Try an RBC branch in the US. I think they're in most states now, and apparently they're well hooked up with Canadian credit bureaus so they'll be able to check yours and approve you right there.

This tip is from someone who works for RBC in Raleigh, who is a member of CanSouth.

Of course, regular rules apply. If you have no job or income, getting a loan is next to immpossible. But RBC will have access to your Canadian credit history.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.