wynterstail

age difference?

30 posts in this topic

Yodrak has hit the nail on the head. Large age difference could be a red flag depending on the cultural norms and immigration problems related to a particular country.

That said, age difference cannot be the sole reason for denial. As long as you have sufficient evidence and can prove your relationship, you should have no trouble.

I think that Jamaica does have some US immigration related issues, but Jamaica doesn't have a track record of abuse that some other countries have. Things like age difference won't raise many eyebrows there.

BTW...Jamaica is an amazing place with amazing people. I would love to go back and spend more time there. :dancing: Cheers, and good luck to you!

I agree with Yodrak. I think, age difference won't be the only one issue, as Yodrak stated.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
I think it's quite common for Jamaican (men and women) to marry Americans, both with and without age differences. But of course, one can't deny that for some people, it's mainly for the purpose of coming to the US. But I want to make sure I'm understanding--age difference is not a grounds for denial, right? It's a matter of them seeing sufficient proof of a relationship--correct?

That is my understanding. You need to show proof of relationship. Your photos look that of a like genuine couple to me and as long as you too are comfortable with your relationship I don't believe there would be any problems.

I would suggest lots of evidence on ongoing relationship. Ie. photo bills, cards, photos etc just to be sure.

There is no official age difference rule.

Good luck to you both. :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline
it could...depends on who is older....how many years...and other factors if they dont seem to add up to the CO. He is required to make a subjective judgement on the total picture. If its a real relationship or a visa scam.

Hi Ann, i started thinkink that age difference is a factor against K1.I and my fiancee, we have 27 yeas difference and see how long we have been waitting and how many touches and still nothing.

K1

AOS & EAD

03/24/2007- AOS package mailed

04/02/2007- NOA1

05/02/2007 AOS transfered to CSC

06/09/2007 Biometrics done

06/11/2007 EAD card production ordered

07/03/2007 AOS card production ordered

07/7/2007 GC in mail -date on card 6/28/2007

I-751

4/21/08 - I-751 package mailed- regular mail

4/28/09 - Check cashed

5/6/09 - NOA 1 received

7/28/09 - called 1- 800 -.... put in service request

7/31/0 - e-mail from CRIS - no biometrics needed

NOW WAITING......

it could...depends on who is older....how many years...and other factors if they dont seem to add up to the CO. He is required to make a subjective judgement on the total picture. If its a real relationship or a visa scam.

Hi Ann, i started thinkink that age difference is a factor against K1.I and my fiancee, we have 27 yeas difference and see how long we have been waitting and how many touches and still nothing.

That isn't neccesaraly true. Luz and I only have 5 years difference and we waited 6 months. It's not the USCIS's job to make a judgment on the validity of the relationship. Only that you met, are single and are otherwise eligable for a visa. It's the CO at the embassy to determain if the relationship is valid.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks Sweetie

You look to be about my age.

And still looking good as well I see.

I see--I kept wondering what all the "touches" were about, because my 129F was approved very fast--I mailed it on 9/1 and it was approved on 9/15. Maybe it's the luck of the draw with who's working on your file.

Thanks==we will keep on praying

I think it's quite common for Jamaican (men and women) to marry Americans, both with and without age differences. But of course, one can't deny that for some people, it's mainly for the purpose of coming to the US. But I want to make sure I'm understanding--age difference is not a grounds for denial, right? It's a matter of them seeing sufficient proof of a relationship--correct?

That is my understanding. You need to show proof of relationship. Your photos look that of a like genuine couple to me and as long as you too are comfortable with your relationship I don't believe there would be any problems.

I would suggest lots of evidence on ongoing relationship. Ie. photo bills, cards, photos etc just to be sure.

There is no official age difference rule.

Good luck to you both. :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Me (beneficiary) and my fiance (USC) are 19 years apart and very much in love. I just finished college here, come from a medium class family and would not need to do this to get out of poverty, nor i am in need of a better life money wise.

If i were to look for a convenience relationship i would simply move somewhere in the European Union or Spain where i would not have to do to any paper work.

We happen to love each other regardless our ages, our cultures or anything else. That is the way it is for us. Age gap relationships may not be the norm but happen; you cannot choose who you fall in love with.

I never thought about that being a problem for our visa approval.

Also bf has children, i have nothing holding me here, he is in the military so at least until he retires we will be in the US, this was just the best option for us, but we have talked about being in Spain too.

Big age gaps can be red flags, but those will disappear if your relationship is honest, and can prove it.

Eric coming into my life is definitely the best thing that has ever happened to me.

~maria

~ AOS Journey ~

03/08/2007: AOS/EAD sent

03/16/2007: NOA AOS/EAD

03/21/2007: Touched

04/05/2007: Biometrics

04/09/2007: Touched

04/11/2007: Case transferred to CSC

05/16/2007: Case pending at CSC

05/17/2007: AOS Touched

05/24/2007: EAD Touched

05/29/2007: EAD Approved (82 days)

06/19/2007: AOS Approved (93 days)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

There is no "general" answer for any question here at vj. My fiance and I have 15 years age difference me being the oldest. We have known each other for four years and been romantically involved two of those years. He took tons and tons of documents with him to interviews, phone records, emails, chats, flight tickets, pictures, letter from friends, etc.. and they were never considered. When my fiance sat down in the chair across from the first CO at his first interview the very words out of her mouth was "If you think you are getting a free ride to America you can forget it". From there it was just down hill for us. Funny thing is my fiance in the entire four years ive known him had NEVER expressed a desire to come to America for anything, much less to live here. In fact we had plans for me to live there with him and run our own business for which he had already taken a huge loan out just months before I applied for the visa. After my first visit there I realized that I would rather live here and approached him with the ideal of living here in the U S with me. So you see it really doesnt matter in some instances how much proof you have, it really depends on the CO and their preceived notions about the situation. After being here at vj for over a year now, I realize our case is not the norm, but it does happen for some that the CO's determine a case by their opinions and not the reality of the situation . I wish you much luck and pray that your journey is smooth, but just want you to be prepared for the reality.

God Bless

Vicki/Bala

10/2002 Met in yahoo chat

10/2004 Romance blossoms

04/2005 Went to india, spent two wonderful weeks together

06/11/05 Sent petition

06/22/05 1st NOA received

09/12/05 2nd NOA received

11/15/05 Interview: request for additional information from me.

11/30/05 Got notice that we were Placed on Administrative Processing

03/04/06 Going to visit with my boo!

04/08/06 Back home (sigh) back to waiting again.

06/15/06 7 months on AP (will this ever end?)

07/06/06 called for second interview (it was a nightmare)

07/14/06 learned our petition was sent back

07/15/06 ready to carry on the fight!!!!

10/17/06 petition is back at USCIS

God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away,

who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

Filed: Timeline

The lesson that I see in vicki/bala's situation is that the best 'evidence' is the person themself. Everything else can be manufactured by a person who has the ambition, the patience, and in this electronic age only a minimum of knowledge. It doesn't take true love of another person to spend hours on the phone with them or write hundreds of e-mails to them - it only takes time and a desire to have someone get you into the USA.

Consular officers know this, at many posts they see it all the time. At some posts it's most of what they see.

The consular officer's approach at Bala's interview was possibly not taken for him specifically, it was probably the approach that that officer, or perhaps most officers at that post, takes with most visa applicants. It is a confrontational approach designed to get a reaction from the visa applicant. A 'gut' reaction, stirred by emotion, to get spontaneous answers rather than planned answers to questions. And the questions and answers themselves are often not as significant as the applicant's demeanor as a means of divining the applicant's true intent.

Yodrak

There is no "general" answer for any question here at vj. My fiance and I have 15 years age difference me being the oldest. We have known each other for four years and been romantically involved two of those years. He took tons and tons of documents with him to interviews, phone records, emails, chats, flight tickets, pictures, letter from friends, etc.. and they were never considered. When my fiance sat down in the chair across from the first CO at his first interview the very words out of her mouth was "If you think you are getting a free ride to America you can forget it". From there it was just down hill for us. Funny thing is my fiance in the entire four years ive known him had NEVER expressed a desire to come to America for anything, much less to live here. In fact we had plans for me to live there with him and run our own business for which he had already taken a huge loan out just months before I applied for the visa. After my first visit there I realized that I would rather live here and approached him with the ideal of living here in the U S with me. So you see it really doesnt matter in some instances how much proof you have, it really depends on the CO and their preceived notions about the situation. After being here at vj for over a year now, I realize our case is not the norm, but it does happen for some that the CO's determine a case by their opinions and not the reality of the situation . I wish you much luck and pray that your journey is smooth, but just want you to be prepared for the reality.

God Bless

Vicki/Bala

Visa petitions can be denied for many reasons but the bottom line is if the government thinks the relationship is legimate or not. My wife is 32 years younger than me but based on our evidence we blew right through the visa process and have now been happily married for over a year. Good luck to you.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
The lesson that I see in vicki/bala's situation is that the best 'evidence' is the person themself. Everything else can be manufactured by a person who has the ambition, the patience, and in this electronic age only a minimum of knowledge. It doesn't take true love of another person to spend hours on the phone with them or write hundreds of e-mails to them - it only takes time and a desire to have someone get you into the USA.

Consular officers know this, at many posts they see it all the time. At some posts it's most of what they see.

The consular officer's approach at Bala's interview was possibly not taken for him specifically, it was probably the approach that that officer, or perhaps most officers at that post, takes with most visa applicants. It is a confrontational approach designed to get a reaction from the visa applicant. A 'gut' reaction, stirred by emotion, to get spontaneous answers rather than planned answers to questions. And the questions and answers themselves are often not as significant as the applicant's demeanor as a means of divining the applicant's true intent.

Yodrak

God Bless

Vicki/Bala

Yodrak , I agree with you completely,, but i really dont know what else Bala could have done. He begged and pleaded with them to just hear him out and look at his proofs, he declared over and over his true love for me and with every word out of his mouth they would say "Sir we dont believe you". As you have seen from my previous posts they even blackmailed and told him to admit fraud or they would go to his family and make it ugly for him. But still he held his ground, he told them he refused to admit a lie and they could go and speak with his family all they wanted. He left his home a few days after that last interview and has not returned. He is living 12 hours away from everything and everyone hes ever known just because he refused to admit their lies that they made up for him. Im sorry, but i still believe that no m atter what some of us do or how well we present an argument if the CO's have prejudices and pre conceived notions then we dont stand a chance.

Vicki/Bala

10/2002 Met in yahoo chat

10/2004 Romance blossoms

04/2005 Went to india, spent two wonderful weeks together

06/11/05 Sent petition

06/22/05 1st NOA received

09/12/05 2nd NOA received

11/15/05 Interview: request for additional information from me.

11/30/05 Got notice that we were Placed on Administrative Processing

03/04/06 Going to visit with my boo!

04/08/06 Back home (sigh) back to waiting again.

06/15/06 7 months on AP (will this ever end?)

07/06/06 called for second interview (it was a nightmare)

07/14/06 learned our petition was sent back

07/15/06 ready to carry on the fight!!!!

10/17/06 petition is back at USCIS

God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away,

who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

Vicki,

Whatever caused the doubt, Bala was over-matched and out-gunned. You and he needed help from the outset, but you didn't realize it until it was already high-noon and the Earp brothers were on their way to the OK Corral.

It can never be said for sure that had an experienced immigration attorney knowledgeable about India, this consulate, and the people in it, reviewed your case upfront then your problems could have been identified and avoided. But it can be said that you would have had a much better chance, and Bala would at least have had someone at his side who could have softened and diverted some of the blows.

Not lecturing you, nor trying to rub salt in your wounds. Rather, hoping that your example will help others to understand that immigration is not just filling out forms and that what appears to be a simple and straightforward situation to the uniformed and unwary can turn out to be anything but.

Best wishes to you and Bala,

Yodrak

Yodrak , I agree with you completely,, but i really dont know what else Bala could have done. He begged and pleaded with them to just hear him out and look at his proofs, he declared over and over his true love for me and with every word out of his mouth they would say "Sir we dont believe you". As you have seen from my previous posts they even blackmailed and told him to admit fraud or they would go to his family and make it ugly for him. But still he held his ground, he told them he refused to admit a lie and they could go and speak with his family all they wanted. He left his home a few days after that last interview and has not returned. He is living 12 hours away from everything and everyone hes ever known just because he refused to admit their lies that they made up for him. Im sorry, but i still believe that no m atter what some of us do or how well we present an argument if the CO's have prejudices and pre conceived notions then we dont stand a chance.

Vicki/Bala

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Let me preface this by saying, I'm just assuming this is the best way to go about shaping your evidence. I have no real experience in the age difference arena.

I think when it comes to cases of proving a legitimate relationship beyond red flags (and I think this will probably send up a red flag), it's best to think about the whole gigando picture here. Instead of "Yes, an age difference is a problem." think of it like "Okay, an age difference doesn't seem to be that big of a deal since......" and insert reasons and evidence that prove (or at least refer to) the reasonings why an age difference isn't such a big matter in your case. Paint a picture of being on the same maturity level (which I'm sure you are if you are marrying each other!), having the same interests, doing things together, wanting to plan a life, enjoying the same activities.

My 2 cents.

:star: Cass (bebop the great)

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

Service Center: California (transferred from Nebraska)

Consulate: Vancouver, Canada (transferred from Montreal)

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

01.25.2007 — Interview—APPPROOOVVEEEDD!!

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

03.01.2007 — Applied for SSN.

03.08.2007 — Social Security Card arrives! :)

03.17.2007 — Wedding day! Happy St. Patty's Day! YAY! :D

AOS/EAD

04.30.2007 — AOS/EAD Mailed off (No AP)

05.02.2007 — Arrives in Chicago.

05.08.2007 — NOA1 for AOS/EAD

06.01.2007 — Biometrics (and EAD Touch)

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.17.2007 — AOS Transferred to CSC

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

06.21.2007 — AOS Touch (They must be doing something!)

07.25.2007 — EA Card Arrives. YAY! :)

09.03.2007 — AOS Touch, something finally!

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

09.11.2007 — AOS Approval without interview

09.17.2007 — Welcome to America! Letter arrives

09.29.2007 — Green card arrives! WOOO! No more USCIS until 06/09.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
Let me preface this by saying, I'm just assuming this is the best way to go about shaping your evidence. I have no real experience in the age difference arena.

I think when it comes to cases of proving a legitimate relationship beyond red flags (and I think this will probably send up a red flag), it's best to think about the whole gigando picture here. Instead of "Yes, an age difference is a problem." think of it like "Okay, an age difference doesn't seem to be that big of a deal since......" and insert reasons and evidence that prove (or at least refer to) the reasonings why an age difference isn't such a big matter in your case. Paint a picture of being on the same maturity level (which I'm sure you are if you are marrying each other!), having the same interests, doing things together, wanting to plan a life, enjoying the same activities.

My 2 cents.

:star: Cass (bebop the great)

I am with Cass, as I said before bf is 19 years older than i am, and i dont think we need to *project* an image of normality, it just what we are, we dont o anything any normal couple would not, we dont feel any different than a non age gap couple, and from my experience, people notice that at first sight! :yes: (and probably at first question from the CO too :P )

Edited by MariaEric

~ AOS Journey ~

03/08/2007: AOS/EAD sent

03/16/2007: NOA AOS/EAD

03/21/2007: Touched

04/05/2007: Biometrics

04/09/2007: Touched

04/11/2007: Case transferred to CSC

05/16/2007: Case pending at CSC

05/17/2007: AOS Touched

05/24/2007: EAD Touched

05/29/2007: EAD Approved (82 days)

06/19/2007: AOS Approved (93 days)

Hi Ann,

There a a few VJer's that were approved at the Jamaican embassy that have age differences of 10+ years (women older than the men). None of them had any problems getting approved; although one member did state that it was brought up at the interview.

Michele

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thank Michele

Yeah, I think it's not an uncommon situation there. I just had a friend go through it last year and she's 15 years older than him.

Thanks for your good thoughts.

Hi Ann,

There a a few VJer's that were approved at the Jamaican embassy that have age differences of 10+ years (women older than the men). None of them had any problems getting approved; although one member did state that it was brought up at the interview.

Michele

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.