wynterstail

age difference?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I keep finding new and horrifying things to worry about...someone mentioned that the embassy can be very picky when they see a big age difference in a couple applying for a K1....could they deny the visa just because they don't like the age difference?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

What is age difference?

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I keep finding new and horrifying things to worry about...someone mentioned that the embassy can be very picky when they see a big age difference in a couple applying for a K1....could they deny the visa just because they don't like the age difference?

I would not worry about it.

Mailed I-129F Packet 1/17/06 to TSC registered express mail. Was transfered to Cali.

Received 1/19/06.

Received Signed Return Receipt 1/22/06.

Check Cashed 1/27/06

Received NOA1 today 1/30/06 :-)

Received E-mail from USCIS Petition was approved on April 13, 2006

Received in the mail April 17,2006 NOA2

Received from NVC 5/4/06 Approval Notice. Petition was being forward to the Embassy in Manila :-)

Fiancee Received Packet 3 and Packet 4 together. She is to fill out Packet 3 and bring with her to the Visa Interview. Medical Exam scheduled for (8/30/06) and Interview Date (9/6/06) We are on our way.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Just have plenty of proof of your relationship. As many photos as possible for her to take with her on her interview. Letters, emails, phone bills, etc. Just prove you case that you have a strong relationship and you should be fine. All the best to you!

Met online April 2004

Went to Mumbai to meet Poonam Sept. 2004

Sept. 2004 thru April 2006 ongoing relationship

Went back to Mumbai April 2006

Engagement April 2006

Nov.-Dec. 2006 went to Mumbai

K-1 Journey*

08-02-06 mailed I-129F

08-15-06 NOA1

08-18-06 touched

10-05-06 NOA2 (51 Days)

10-06-06 touched

10-07-06 touched

10-16-06 Received hardcopy of NOA2 in the mail

10-19-06 NVC received my petition (Please hurry, so she can be here for Christmas)

10-26-06 Received NVC letter stating it was sent to Mumbai (Letter dated 10-23-06)

12-09-06 Never received Packet 3, So we downloaded and sent to embassy

02-02-07 INTERVIEW (Missed 1st interview, waiting on new interview date)

04-02-07 New INTERVIEW Date.

04-02-07 APPROVED !!!!!

04-27-07 ARRIVED IN U.S.

ticker.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The rules are the rules. The male must be at least 35 years older than the woman and visa versa if woman from USA and is looking for the male. That is why I suggest plastic surgery. Just kidding. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Date I-129F Sent : 03/17/2006

Date I-129F NOA1: 04/03/2006

I-129F RFE(s) : 08/10/2006

I-129F RFE Reply(s) : 08/17/2006

Date I-129F NOA2 (Approved) : 08/18/2006

Date Package Received By NVC : 09/05/2006

Date Sent to Embassy: 09/18/2006 assigned number MNL2006743xxx

Date Embassy received 09/26/2006

letter-touched 10/17/2006

information on medical and interview 11/17/2006

Packet with Information 11/29/2006

Medical 1/12/2007

Interview 1/19/2007

Filed: Timeline

wynterstail,

No they can't, and no they don't. There's always more to it than that.

Care to add a few more pieces to the jigsaw puzzle? One is not enough to know what the picture looks like.

Yodrak

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You wont be the 1st with an age difference and you wont be the last.

Met online April 2004

Went to Mumbai to meet Poonam Sept. 2004

Sept. 2004 thru April 2006 ongoing relationship

Went back to Mumbai April 2006

Engagement April 2006

Nov.-Dec. 2006 went to Mumbai

K-1 Journey*

08-02-06 mailed I-129F

08-15-06 NOA1

08-18-06 touched

10-05-06 NOA2 (51 Days)

10-06-06 touched

10-07-06 touched

10-16-06 Received hardcopy of NOA2 in the mail

10-19-06 NVC received my petition (Please hurry, so she can be here for Christmas)

10-26-06 Received NVC letter stating it was sent to Mumbai (Letter dated 10-23-06)

12-09-06 Never received Packet 3, So we downloaded and sent to embassy

02-02-07 INTERVIEW (Missed 1st interview, waiting on new interview date)

04-02-07 New INTERVIEW Date.

04-02-07 APPROVED !!!!!

04-27-07 ARRIVED IN U.S.

ticker.png

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

it could...depends on who is older....how many years...and other factors if they dont seem to add up to the CO. He is required to make a subjective judgement on the total picture. If its a real relationship or a visa scam.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Timeline

We've known each other for 3 years. We met in 2003 while I was in Jamaica and the relationship grew over time, in a normal sort of way. Neither one of us was of us was trying to rush into anything. I dont have any photos of us together in 2003 (because of course, we didn't know we'd be needing any), but I did submit photos of us together during my August 06 visit. And phone records, cards we exchanged, letters of support from people who know us and know about the relationship. But I am significantly older than him--though I don't think it looks like some grotesque age differnce...you can see the photos I posted. You have no idea how tired I am of How Stella Got Her Groove Back jokes...It can be a little frustraing when people make assumptions...my late husband was West Indian also, so it's not like this is something new. But I know people (spelled "embassy") can jump to the conclusion that one is a naieve idiot being taken advantage of...

Ann

wynterstail,

Care to add a few more pieces to the jigsaw puzzle? One is not enough to know what the picture looks like.

Yodrak

Thanks for giving me one of the few laugs I've had since entering the land of K-1

The rules are the rules. The male must be at least 35 years older than the woman and visa versa if woman from USA and is looking for the male. That is why I suggest plastic surgery. Just kidding. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Ann,

OK, 2nd piece of the puzzle.

Next - what is the cultural norm in Jamaica? Do men there commonly marry women who are significantly older than themselvs? Do men there commonly marry divorced women, or are previously married women (or women with children) looked on as 'used' and therefore undesireable? Do men in Jamaica commonly marry women who are both significantly older than themselves and 'used'?

Do you know if Jamaica is considered to be a high-fraud post? Are there a lot of people there who would like to get to the USA, including a fair number who would do most anything to accomplish their goal?

May not sound pretty or PC, but in many places it's the way it is, and in such places your situation can be a problem. If Jamaica is such a place get prepared.

Yodrak

... I am significantly older than him....

Ann

wynterstail,

Yodrak

Edited by Yodrak

Timeline

I think it's quite common for Jamaican (men and women) to marry Americans, both with and without age differences. But of course, one can't deny that for some people, it's mainly for the purpose of coming to the US. But I want to make sure I'm understanding--age difference is not a grounds for denial, right? It's a matter of them seeing sufficient proof of a relationship--correct?

Ann,

OK, 2nd piece of the puzzle.

Next - what is the cultural norm in Jamaica? Do men there commonly marry women who are significantly older than themselvs? Do men there commonly marry divorced women, or are previously married women (or women with children) looked on as 'used' and therefore undesireable? Do men in Jamaica commonly marry women who are both significantly older than themselves and 'used'?

Do you know if Jamaica is considered to be a high-fraud post? Are there a lot of people there who would like to get to the USA, including a fair number who would do most anything to accomplish their goal?

May not sound pretty or PC, but in many places it's the way it is, and in such places your situation can be a problem. If Jamaica is such a place get prepared.

Yodrak

... I am significantly older than him....

Ann

wynterstail,

Yodrak

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Interesting reading: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3164 - even if the OP asked especifically about Casablanca, you'll find good info there.

Edited by Mew

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

wynterstail,

Correct, but perhaps better stated as it's a matter of them believing that the relationship is not solely for the purpose of getting the visa applicant into the USA.

Beyond that, while your intentions may be 'pure' it's the visa applicant's intentions that will be carefully scrutinized. No matter what your protestations or your proofs, it's what the visa applicant presents that will be important.

Yodrak

I think it's quite common for Jamaican (men and women) to marry Americans, both with and without age differences. But of course, one can't deny that for some people, it's mainly for the purpose of coming to the US. But I want to make sure I'm understanding--age difference is not a grounds for denial, right? It's a matter of them seeing sufficient proof of a relationship--correct?

City: California/Bayern - Filed K-1 from China Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Yodrak has hit the nail on the head. Large age difference could be a red flag depending on the cultural norms and immigration problems related to a particular country.

That said, age difference cannot be the sole reason for denial. As long as you have sufficient evidence and can prove your relationship, you should have no trouble.

I think that Jamaica does have some US immigration related issues, but Jamaica doesn't have a track record of abuse that some other countries have. Things like age difference won't raise many eyebrows there.

BTW...Jamaica is an amazing place with amazing people. I would love to go back and spend more time there. :dancing: Cheers, and good luck to you!

Edited by heathius

K-1 VISA:

3/4/06: I-129F Sent to CSC

3/14/06: NOA1

7/21/06: IMBRA RFE received by CSC

8/22/06: NOA2

9/8/06: Case arrives at NVC

9/16/06: NVC departure letter received

9/22/06: Left NVC bound for China

10/6/06: Case arrives at Guangzhou consulate

10/20/06: Received Packet 3

10/26/06: Sent DS-230 back to consulate

11/9/06: Sent OF-169 back to consulate

11/17/06: Received Packet 4

11/25/06: Completed Medical Exam in Beijing

12/15/06: Interview in Guangzhou (Success!!)

12/19/06: Received K-1 visa

1/12/07: Entered U.S. (POE: SFO)

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS:

1/26/07: Applied for SSN

2/8/07: Medical exam for vaccinations

2/9/07: Received SSN

3/3/07: Married!! (WooHoo!!)

3/16/07: Changed name on SSN

4/3/07: Sent AOS application to Chicago

4/5/07: AOS application arrived in Chicago

4/16/07: Received NOAs for AOS, EAD, & AP (NOA date: 4/12)

4/24/07: Received biometrics appt. letter

5/7/07: Biometrics appointment

5/25/07: Received interview appt. letter

6/25/07: Received AP documents

6/28/07: Received EAD card

7/18/07: AOS Interview (Approved!)

7/30/07: Received 2-year green card

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS:

4/24/09: I-751 sent to CSC

4/27/09: I-751 arrived at CSC

5/13/09: Received NOA letter (NOA date: 4/27)

6/4/09: Received biometrics appt. letter

6/13/09: Biometrics appointment

8/6/09: Card production ordered

8/12/09: Received card in mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.