Dave and Shannon

New 2011 LAND DOWNUNDER, Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

447 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Ok here is the new thread seeing as though no one has started one yet as requested :)

GC955... you can get travel insurance for the one way... my father got me some.. cant seem to find the papers though, but you just tell them you want it one way...i got it for a year even though i probably will be put on my wife's medical benefits once she becomes full time at this new place....

also i got my biometrics letter today... appointment for like 2 weeks away in Charleston SC which is like 2 and half hours away from me at 8am!!! arghhhhh im gonna be up wayyy early... hopefully ill get my EAD card not long after that...

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ok here is the new thread seeing as though no one has started one yet as requested :)

GC955... you can get travel insurance for the one way... my father got me some.. cant seem to find the papers though, but you just tell them you want it one way...i got it for a year even though i probably will be put on my wife's medical benefits once she becomes full time at this new place....

also i got my biometrics letter today... appointment for like 2 weeks away in Charleston SC which is like 2 and half hours away from me at 8am!!! arghhhhh im gonna be up wayyy early... hopefully ill get my EAD card not long after that...

Are you going to try a walk-in? Or not bother because of the distance? My office was 4 hours away so I was happy not to get an interview!

Travel insurance.. I'm completely spacing on who i used... http://www.flightcentre.com.au/travel-extras/insurance/overview this. My sisters friend was a manager at flight centre so that' why I used this company.

Timeline

Are you going to try a walk-in? Or not bother because of the distance? My office was 4 hours away so I was happy not to get an interview!

Travel insurance.. I'm completely spacing on who i used... http://www.flightcentre.com.au/travel-extras/insurance/overview this. My sisters friend was a manager at flight centre so that' why I used this company.

a walk in??? whats that? never heard of it

event.png

Timeline

a walk in??? whats that? never heard of it

You can basically, as the name says, "walk-in" like at a doctors office, without an appointment... or in this case, before and do your biometrics. Mine was scheduled 3 weeks later than when I actually did it. You still take your interview letter, you take your passport and marriage cert (if female and name is different on AOS stuff than passport) and they'll say yay or nay.

It's risky for people with long drives because they don't HAVE to let you in, but they can and there's been proof it cuts down on the waiting time (I say proof because at least 1 VJ member did a walk-in and received his EAD before his scheduled biometrics appointment.. so the walk-in got him the EAD quicker.

Completely up to you but if you're okay with the drive then give it a go. If you don't wanna risk driving that far, then don't. 2 weeks isn't the end of the world. I think mine was around a month from when I received the letter and I jut didn't want to wait that long.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

You can basically, as the name says, "walk-in" like at a doctors office, without an appointment... or in this case, before and do your biometrics. Mine was scheduled 3 weeks later than when I actually did it. You still take your interview letter, you take your passport and marriage cert (if female and name is different on AOS stuff than passport) and they'll say yay or nay.

It's risky for people with long drives because they don't HAVE to let you in, but they can and there's been proof it cuts down on the waiting time (I say proof because at least 1 VJ member did a walk-in and received his EAD before his scheduled biometrics appointment.. so the walk-in got him the EAD quicker.

Completely up to you but if you're okay with the drive then give it a go. If you don't wanna risk driving that far, then don't. 2 weeks isn't the end of the world. I think mine was around a month from when I received the letter and I jut didn't want to wait that long.

thanks for the info.. didnt know you could do that... i could risk it.. i mean its only 2 and half hours away... i will have to think about it... even though its 2 weeks away.. possibly 2 weeks closer to i can look for work i would love... driving me nuts not being allowed to do anything like work or study...

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

thanks for the info.. didnt know you could do that... i could risk it.. i mean its only 2 and half hours away... i will have to think about it... even though its 2 weeks away.. possibly 2 weeks closer to i can look for work i would love... driving me nuts not being allowed to do anything like work or study...

I did a walk in and drove 2 hours to Atlanta and there was no problem funny too it was the week before Xmas and they were really quiet so I had no problem. I had to do a walk in as I scheduled a new appointment but never heard back form them so we just winged it and it worked out ok thank goodness.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Timeline

I did a walk in and drove 2 hours to Atlanta and there was no problem funny too it was the week before Xmas and they were really quiet so I had no problem. I had to do a walk in as I scheduled a new appointment but never heard back form them so we just winged it and it worked out ok thank goodness.

ahh cool... i think i might take the gamble next week then :)

event.png

Timeline

Hey Guys, I still don't have my passport back, flight is booked for this friday. How can I check whats going on? Can I call them? should I send them a email? I need to know so I can cancel my flight. :(

11-03-08 ~ First met in USA

11-15-09 ~ Got Engaged

03-14-11 ~ Mailed I-129F/K-1

03-16-11 ~ NOA1

07-01-11 ~ Police Cert Received

07-12-11 ~ NOA2

07-28-11 ~ Medical Passed

08-02-11 ~ Packet 3 Received

09-01-11 ~ P3 Sent

09-07-11 ~ Packet 4 Received

09-13-11 ~ Interview/APPROVAL!

Timeline

defnitely email them, i'm not sure whether or not you can call them, i'd maybe check on the website for a phone number??

Finally time for AOS.......

12/07/11 Sent AOS package

12/09/11 AOS package delivered

12/14/11 Received NOA for I-485 and I-765 (we're not applying for AP)

12/22/11 Received letter for Biometrics

01/04/12 Biometrics in Phoenix

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

02/09/12 Received email saying EAD card has been sent

02/13/12 Received EAD card :D :D :D :D

03/06/12 Interview in Phoenix :).....Approved :D

03/14/12 Received Green card in mail.....

....no more USCIS until December 2013

event.png

Timeline

I got a email for more evidence even though it was approved at my interview, i sent back in the email all the info they need and asked for last wed. I hope to hear back from them asap. Would it be rude if I emailed them again to ask whats going on so i know what to do with my flight?

11-03-08 ~ First met in USA

11-15-09 ~ Got Engaged

03-14-11 ~ Mailed I-129F/K-1

03-16-11 ~ NOA1

07-01-11 ~ Police Cert Received

07-12-11 ~ NOA2

07-28-11 ~ Medical Passed

08-02-11 ~ Packet 3 Received

09-01-11 ~ P3 Sent

09-07-11 ~ Packet 4 Received

09-13-11 ~ Interview/APPROVAL!

Timeline

I don't think it would be rude. just explain that you have flights booked already and just need to know whether you'll be needing to change them or if you can still fly out that day

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

event.png

Timeline

Questionnnnnnnn, i'm positive i've read the answer to this somewhere else a million times, but am i allowed to go to community college while i wait for my Green card? I can, can't i?

event.png

Timeline

Questionnnnnnnn, i'm positive i've read the answer to this somewhere else a million times, but am i allowed to go to community college while i wait for my Green card? I can, can't i?

im not sure... ive been looking at colleges here in South Carolina the last few weeks and they wont let me study until i have a green card... but every state is different so check with the one your looking at :)

gc955... i would email them again and ask whats going on.... i did after we sent the email with what they wanted and they responded nicely and quickly actually telling me it was on its way...

im off to charleston now to see if i can get my biometrics done early :) hope i have some luck!

Edited by Dave and Shannon

event.png

Timeline

well my biometrics is done! drove all the way to Charleston... and just walked through security and went into the room where they take fingerprints and filled out some paper work and got my prints and photo done and i was out of there in 10 mins... glad i went and they never said anything about me being early :P so now hopefully my ead will come abit quicker so i can work!

event.png

Timeline

It's not a breach of your visa no, but some schools have requirements for status. Sometimes they will let you but you pay "out of state" tuition or something like that which is a LOT more, usually, than in-state tuition. Sometimes it's as simple as getting your state ID to get the cheaper tuition, which you can sometimes get before your I-94 expires, or sometimes with EAD.. often depends on your state.. which is annoying :P

well my biometrics is done! drove all the way to Charleston... and just walked through security and went into the room where they take fingerprints and filled out some paper work and got my prints and photo done and i was out of there in 10 mins... glad i went and they never said anything about me being early :P so now hopefully my ead will come abit quicker so i can work!

Congrats!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.