10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Me again - :blush:

My husband doesn't have a birth certificate b/c he was born at home w/ a midwife and this was during the war in Afghanistan... sooo no bc - for the k1 process the Islamabad embassy is familiar with this and they just asked for his mom to submit a sworn affidavit of when he was born, etc. We don't have that here - we can get a scanned copy by email but I was wondering if it would be sufficient to just have my husband submit a sworn statement to that effect?

any suggestions? anyone else here w/o their b.c.?

thanks so much!

K-1 Timeline

04-29-05 - NOA1

07-29-05 - NOA2

01-06-06 - Interview - Admin Processing

04-13-06 - Day 97 since interview - Full set of prints taken at embassy - 3 sec checks requested from DOS

07-07-06 - Cable sent back to ISL

07-20-06 - ISL sending "call-in" letter w/ some add'l docs req'd

07-25-06 - Visa issued (15 months after filing including 199 days of AP/AR)

08-03-06 - POE at LAX

08-26-06 - Married

09-02-06 - Social Security Card Arrives

AOS/EAD Timeline

09-29-06 - AOS & EAD off to Chicago via USPS

10-01-06 - Rec'd 9:13 pm // signed for by R. Mercado

10-05-06 - NOA on AOS & EAD (w/ no middle name)

10-06-06 - Checks Cashed

10-11-06 - Inquiry sent through USCIS to add middle name

10-15-06 - touched

10-24-06 - Biometrics Appt.

12-14-06 - Interview - "Approved" Pending FBI Check

01-10-07 - EAD touched

01-13-07 - EAD approved per CRIS email

01-15-07 - EAD touched

01-18-07 - EAD notice mailed out per CRIS email

01-20-07 - EAD rec'd in the mail

01-23-07 - EAD touched again (???)

05-18-07 - AOS touched - email sent saying "interview conducted - case under active review"

06-07-07 - AOS touched and paper rec'd from USCIS stating conditional status granted on 6-6-07

06-11-07 - Welcome to America letter rec'd by mail

*** File for removal of conditions in Spring '09

Filed: Timeline

Omid,

If the statement exists, why don't you have it? Where is it?

Whatever, try to get it.

Yodrak

Me again -

My husband doesn't have a birth certificate b/c he was born at home w/ a midwife and this was during the war in Afghanistan... sooo no bc - for the k1 process the Islamabad embassy is familiar with this and they just asked for his mom to submit a sworn affidavit of when he was born, etc. We don't have that here - we can get a scanned copy by email but I was wondering if it would be sufficient to just have my husband submit a sworn statement to that effect?

any suggestions? anyone else here w/o their b.c.?

thanks so much!

Timeline

Yodrak, my husband didn't think that he would need that here and I didn't realize we would need it again for AOS so I didn't emphasize it when telling him what to gather... we can get a scanned copy of the statement from his mom but I'm wondering if it was sufficient for k1 is it safe to assume it will be sufficient for AOS?

K-1 Timeline

04-29-05 - NOA1

07-29-05 - NOA2

04-13-06 - Day 97 since interview - Full set of prints taken at embassy - 3 sec checks requested from DOS

08-03-06 - POE at LAX

08-26-06 - Married

AOS/EAD Timeline

10-06-06 - Checks Cashed

10-15-06 - touched

01-10-07 - EAD touched

01-15-07 - EAD touched

05-18-07 - AOS touched - email sent saying "interview conducted - case under active review"

06-07-07 - AOS touched and paper rec'd from USCIS stating conditional status granted on 6-6-07

Omid,

Why can't you get the original statement? That's what I'd want if it were my case.

Yodrak

Yodrak, my husband didn't think that he would need that here and I didn't realize we would need it again for AOS so I didn't emphasize it when telling him what to gather... we can get a scanned copy of the statement from his mom but I'm wondering if it was sufficient for k1 is it safe to assume it will be sufficient for AOS?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Have the original sent by courier service.

*Karen -- Jamaica ....... Courtney -- New Jersey*

09-12-05 - AOS filed

04-21-06 - AOS Interview

04-27-06 - Approval

05-17-06 - Green Card in hand

02-11-08 - File to remove conditions

03-15-08 - Biometrics

03-18-09 - Approved - No interview (Card production ordered)

03-24-09 - 10-year card arrives!

adaf8672.gif

JimminiCricket.jpg

Timeline

Because we're talking about Afghanistan - it would take forever and a day to try and get the original - mainly b/c we'd have to wait and see if a friend or relative would be going over there for a visit - currently no one has any plans. Mail service is almost non-existent. I know there is DHL now in Kabul (which costs an arm and a leg) and someone would have to make a 4-5 hour not-very-safe trip from his hometown to Kabul to get that statement.

That's why I'm thinking if it would be possible, to just have my husband sign a declaration stating he never had a birth certificate - or the scanned copy (thank god they have email out there).

btw, thanks for taking the time to answer my inquiry. It's very appreciated.

K-1 Timeline

04-29-05 - NOA1

07-29-05 - NOA2

08-03-06 - POE at LAX

08-26-06 - Married

AOS/EAD Timeline

10-06-06 - Checks Cashed

10-15-06 - touched

01-10-07 - EAD touched

01-15-07 - EAD touched

Omid,

I apologize, I hadn't appreciated the difficulty of your situation even though I see on the news every day the problems in Afghanistan.

Have a scanned copy of the statement e-mailed to you so that you have something to show.

I think I would consult with an experienced immigration attorney, find one who knows the USCIS officers at your local office, to see what insight they can give you. Perhaps even consider hiring the attorney to attend the interview with you. An attorney can be more persuasive than the average person should the interviewer handling the case be difficult to convince, especially if the attorney has done business with that interviewer in the past.

Yodrak

Because we're talking about Afghanistan - it would take forever and a day to try and get the original - mainly b/c we'd have to wait and see if a friend or relative would be going over there for a visit - currently no one has any plans. Mail service is almost non-existent. I know there is DHL now in Kabul (which costs an arm and a leg) and someone would have to make a 4-5 hour not-very-safe trip from his hometown to Kabul to get that statement.

That's why I'm thinking if it would be possible, to just have my husband sign a declaration stating he never had a birth certificate - or the scanned copy (thank god they have email out there).

Timeline

No apologies necessary - most people don't realize how bad it is out there. but thanks for the advice!

Omid,

I apologize, I hadn't appreciated the difficulty of your situation even though I see on the news every day the problems in Afghanistan.

Have a scanned copy of the statement e-mailed to you so that you have something to show.

I think I would consult with an experienced immigration attorney, find one who knows the USCIS officers at your local office, to see what insight they can give you. Perhaps even consider hiring the attorney to attend the interview with you. An attorney can be more persuasive than the average person should the interviewer handling the case be difficult to convince, especially if the attorney has done business with that interviewer in the past.

Yodrak

K-1 Timeline

04-29-05 - NOA1

07-29-05 - NOA2

08-03-06 - POE at LAX

08-26-06 - Married

AOS/EAD Timeline

10-06-06 - Checks Cashed

10-15-06 - touched

01-10-07 - EAD touched

01-15-07 - EAD touched

Omid,

Another thought - does your husband's passport show his place and date of birth? (My wife's does, don't know about my own!) If so the passport might be acceptable secondary evidence, along with the mother's statement, in lieu of the unobtainable birth certificate.

Yodrak

Edited by Yodrak

Timeline

yes it does - great idea! I will attach a copy of it to the statement - Thanks!

Omid,

Another thought - does your husband's passport show his place and date of birth? (My wife's does, don't know about my own!) If so the passport might be acceptable secondary evidence, along with the mother's statement, in lieu of the unobtainable birth certificate.

Yodrak

K-1 Timeline

04-29-05 - NOA1

07-29-05 - NOA2

08-03-06 - POE at LAX

08-26-06 - Married

AOS/EAD Timeline

10-06-06 - Checks Cashed

10-15-06 - touched

01-10-07 - EAD touched

01-15-07 - EAD touched

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.