s-luvs-k

SPONSORS

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline
:help: I am a little confused on the whole sponsor thing. One I was a full time volunteer for all of last year and a good part of this year so I did not make enough money to sponsor my fiancee. One of my relatives is in the military and I am going to ask if he would be the sponsor. But can someone in the military sponsor me? Also I want to file as soon as possible. Should I find the sponsors first? And I might be moving soon. I live in TN right now. So I would apply for the K-1 through the TX office. But I might be moving to Washington, so I would be living in a different service area. Should I file now? Or is it best to wait, since it will affect not only my address but her intended address to live. :( I really could use any help.

Don't Let It Worry You

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

The sponsoring issue will only come up later in the process, after you've gotten your application approved by USCIS and the case's been received by the consulate/embassy where your fiance will be going through. Some countries have really long waiting times for interviews, so you might want to check that. That would give you more - or less - time to find a joint sponsor.

Also, if you file for a fiance with TSC (or NSC), your case will be transferred to CSC, which moves somewhat slower than VSC. If you're moving to a state served by VSC, you might also take that into consideration. It doesn't mean that it *will* go any faster or any slower, as processing times are really unpredictable, but you'd find rough estimates on how long you'd be waiting for approval.

You can move whenever you feel appropriate - just be sure to have a permanent address where you'll get mail - any notifications or RFEs sent out to you. You can inform USCIS of your change of address.

I don't have an answer for the joint sponsor in the military. Anyone?

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

I agree with Mew.

On the Service member relative serving as your Fiance's sponsor:

Since you advise that you have no income, this becomes very complicated. If the Service member were sponsoring their own Fiance, no problem. The State Department understands military pay/benefits and realizes that the Fiance would benefit as well, from "non-cash" compensation.

That equation changes dramatically when it comes down to straight salary, in support of someone elses Fiance.

Rank/pay comes into play, in addition to many other issues. You may wish to consult an Immigration Attorney, specializing in Family related immigration.

The sponsoring issue will only come up later in the process, after you've gotten your application approved by USCIS and the case's been received by the consulate/embassy where your fiance will be going through. Some countries have really long waiting times for interviews, so you might want to check that. That would give you more - or less - time to find a joint sponsor.

Also, if you file for a fiance with TSC (or NSC), your case will be transferred to CSC, which moves somewhat slower than VSC. If you're moving to a state served by VSC, you might also take that into consideration. It doesn't mean that it *will* go any faster or any slower, as processing times are really unpredictable, but you'd find rough estimates on how long you'd be waiting for approval.

You can move whenever you feel appropriate - just be sure to have a permanent address where you'll get mail - any notifications or RFEs sent out to you. You can inform USCIS of your change of address.

I don't have an answer for the joint sponsor in the military. Anyone?

Filed: Timeline

s-luvs-k,

You talk about secondary factors of being a sponsor, but not about the primary factor. What is your income today, on an annualized basis? How will that income be affected if you move to Washington? How sustainable is your income in either case - TN or WA?

Intended address for your fiancee to live is not particularly significant. People move, plans change. Your address is important - the USCIS will need to send mailings to you. Make sure that they have an address for you where your mail can be received reliably and you can get it.

Yodrak

I am a little confused on the whole sponsor thing. One I was a full time volunteer for all of last year and a good part of this year so I did not make enough money to sponsor my fiancee. One of my relatives is in the military and I am going to ask if he would be the sponsor. But can someone in the military sponsor me? Also I want to file as soon as possible. Should I find the sponsors first? And I might be moving soon. I live in TN right now. So I would apply for the K-1 through the TX office. But I might be moving to Washington, so I would be living in a different service area. Should I file now? Or is it best to wait, since it will affect not only my address but her intended address to live. I really could use any help.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.