Paul1114

I-864 Poverty line question

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I have a question on the minimum income requirements for a household family of 5 (including beneficiary), i have an average income of $27,000 on my tax returns for the past 3 yrs, last years was $28,500, and what is required in my case is $29,250 BUT according to the new law they will consider current income , which this year i'm making $35,500 (i got employment letter to prove it ), am i correct? or would it be ok if i send bank statement /letter showing cash on my checking account to make up the difference which is about $700 ?

sorry, i meant to ask $2,200 in account which would be 3 times the difference...also if it's ok to use I-864EZ? i 've been reading using this form is slowing the process at NVC.

Filed: Timeline

Paul,

Points of clarification:

- Current income has always been the first consideration. After that comes 'is the current income sustainable? - let's see what last year looked like'.

- There is no new law - there is only a Final Rule, different from the Interim Rule, implementing a law that was passed almost 10 years ago.

Yodrak

.... according to the new law they will consider current income .....
Edited by Yodrak

I have a question on the minimum income requirements for a household family of 5 (including beneficiary), i have an average income of $27,000 on my tax returns for the past 3 yrs, last years was $28,500, and what is required in my case is $29,250 BUT according to the new law they will consider current income , which this year i'm making $35,500 (i got employment letter to prove it ), am i correct? or would it be ok if i send bank statement /letter showing cash on my checking account to make up the difference which is about $700 ?

sorry, i meant to ask $2,200 in account which would be 3 times the difference...also if it's ok to use I-864EZ? i 've been reading using this form is slowing the process at NVC.

Paul, you are fine. In the new I-864, your total current household income will be compared with the poverty line. You will also need to disclose your most recent tax year's income only, but you may share the most recent 3 tax years' income also which is optional. So based on yoour current income, you are fine.

Yes, you can use I-864EZ, if you use your income ONLY.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: Other Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Paul, you are fine. In the new I-864, your total current household income will be compared with the poverty line. You will also need to disclose your most recent tax year's income only, but you may share the most recent 3 tax years' income also which is optional. So based on yoour current income, you are fine.

Thank you Simple_Male & Yodrak , i was not quite sure if was doing the right thing and i am now ready to file this I864 EZ where only my income is being used. God bless this forum!

Thank you Simple_Male & Yodrak , i was not quite sure if was doing the right thing and i am now ready to file this I864 EZ where only my income is being used. God bless this forum!

You are welcome. Please read the I-864EZ instructions also which will help you fill it out.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.