Jimmy the American

Traveling before entering the US, can we?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Once my fiancee has been approved for her K-1 visa, can she than use her passport to travel overseas BEFORE actually using it, and entering the USA?

Will the Visa being in her passport, be a problem?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

AOS Sent March 5/07

NoA Date March 23/07

BIO Appt April 12/07

Case Transfered to California April 12/07

AOS Touched April 12/07

AOS Touched April 14/07

Transfered notices in hand (Snail Mail style) April 20/07

Case "pending" in CSC May 16/07

AOS Touched May 17/07

AOS Touched May 18/07

AOS Touched June 5/07

AOS Touched June 6/07

Card Production Ordered 10:45 AM on June 19/07

Approval Notice Sent June 22/07

AOS Touched June 24/07

Mail Returned Undeliverable (saying mean words under my breathe) July 11th

Card Resent, Card had errors (long story...)

Card Sent Pack to them...

Has to go Back through FBI Name check

Card Production REORDERED Aug 22/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Once my fiancee has been approved for her K-1 visa, can she than use her passport to travel overseas BEFORE actually using it, and entering the USA?

Will the Visa being in her passport, be a problem?

Traveling to another country is not a problem. But once she sets foot in the US, she has to get married in 90 days or the VISA expires. The total lifespan of the VISA is 6 months. The K-1 gotta-get-married 90-day clock starts when she enters the US.

Fernanda's Timeline

K-1

June 2, 2006 - Mailed K1 Petition

Jun 28, 2006 - NOA1

Oct 05, 2006 - NOA2 - APPROVED after 122 days

Dec 05, 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Consulate

Dec 11, 2006 - Medical Examination in Belo Horizonte

Jan 10, 2007 - Returned Packet #3 to Consulate (SEDEX-10)

Mar 13, 2007 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! We have our K-1 VISA !!

POE & Texas Wedding

Mar 27, 2007 - POE Houston, TX. No questions. Gone in 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2007 - Marriage License app

April 4, 2007 - Our Wedding Day!

April 12, 2007 - Apply for SS card with married name

April 20, 2007 - Received SS card

AOS

June 4, 2007 - Mailed AOS

June 6, 2007 - USCIS received

June 11, 2007 - NOA1 for I-485

July 18, 2007 - Biometrics completed

July 20, 2007 - Case transferred from MSC to CSC

July 31, 2007 - AOS Approved - 57 days - Without an Interview!

Aug 06, 2007 - Received Green Card in the mail today!

Jan 8, 2009 @ 8:18PM - Our son was born tonight !!

I-751 - Remove Conditions

July 11, 2009 - Certified Mail to VSC I-751 Package

July 14, 2009 - Check cleared bank

July 20, 2009 - NOA1 & 1 yr extension - Receipt date is July 14. Case# assigned

Sept 1, 2009 - Biometrics completed

Nov 25, 2009 - I-751 is approved. No Interview.

Dec 14, 2009 - 10yr Green Card arrived !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would check with US Customs. I am quite certain I read someone on this site traveled from Canada to the US with the visa in her passport, but did not have to activate it. She had to make a couple of trips for wedding planning, before moving.

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I would check with US Customs. I am quite certain I read someone on this site traveled from Canada to the US with the visa in her passport, but did not have to activate it. She had to make a couple of trips for wedding planning, before moving.

That may have worked in one instance, but this is not permitted in theory and should not under any circumstances be encouraged..

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Timeline

hockeygal,

And why would one ask this question of Customs when it's an Immigration issue. (Aside from the fact that theses days the Customs functions and the Immigration functions have been put into the same branch of DHS.)

Yodrak

That may have worked in one instance, but this is not permitted in theory and should not under any circumstances be encouraged..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
hockeygal,

And why would one ask this question of Customs when it's an Immigration issue. (Aside from the fact that theses days the Customs functions and the Immigration functions have been put into the same branch of DHS.)

Yodrak

ok, I was not encouraging, I was sharing info I read of another person's experience and suggested he call to find out from the horse's mouth exactly what is allowed and not allowed. I think people should find out from the source, and not just take it on face value what people say on this site. That is where I was going with it.

However, after I typed customs, I realized it was actually immigration. :P

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

Filed: Timeline

Hi Jimmy. I cannot offer any experience on whether a K1 visa in a Canadian passport will impact travel overseas, but I cannot imagine it will given the passport holder is still a Canadian citizen whether they hold an American visa or not. I can, however, offer input regarding travel to the U.S. (as a Canadian) prior to activating a K1 visa.....

Since receiving the K1 visa, I have crossed numerous times at both the Buffalo/Fort Erie Peace Bridge and the Queenston/Lewiston POE's and have never experienced a problem. The Customs Officers appear to be aware of the policy (as stated by the Montreal Consulate) that the visa is activated upon request by the visa holder, and that visitor entry is authorized. Having said this, however, the Consular Officer did advise that this authorization is entirely up to the discretion of the U.S. Customs Officer, so I am aware that ease of entry may not always be the case.

My point is that all travel arrangements should be made with the knowledge that your fiancée could be denied entry to any country, whether she is an American visa holder or not, and to be prepared for that possibility.

Good luck!!

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.