AFQuaid

Getting a Supply of Medications via NHS

12 posts in this topic

Hiya,

I'm in a little dilemma (quite the norm for me I know) with obtaining a supply of medications.

I know for sure you are able to obtain around 3 months worth of medications if you go on "holiday." But I wasn't sure about what you do if you aren't returning to the UK. I wrote a letter to my GP asking if I could obtain a supply to take with me to the states but as usual no reply as of yet and less than 3 weeks to go. I DO intend to get health insurance within the first week or so of landing but incase we fall into yet more dilemmas and to give me time to figure out the US health system and how I can get a US prescription for all of them I rather have the safe guard of a supply.

Has anybody ever taken a supply of medications when they immigrated? If so how did you go about asking for it?

I have phoned the prescription line that I normally order my medications from but they said I need GPs consent to obtain such an amount. Yet on the lil slip you get in your medicine bag it says I can order (random number) of this, that and other still. So I'm confused.

I'm very worried about this. I don't want to risk obviously just going with my current amount, as it is they only give me an extra (1) of any medication I order. Plus one is in liquid form and as you can imagine it doesn't last long especially with the NHS little bottles of it.

Any experiance with this anyone? :help:

Fiona

Love hurts

When you live an ocean away

When you change your sleep schedule to catch a few more moments

When you really need to be held and you have to imagine whilst your partner describes it

When you constantly refresh the USCIS website to see if you're getting any closer

Love Loves

When it repays you with the love of your life

When God finally answered your biggest prayer

When you can live life again in the real world but still have that eternal connection

When you wake up for to the beginning of the rest of your life with the person you fought so hard for

When you love somebody that much

You'll do anything

I told my GP I was moving to the US (went in for a face to face meeting) and he gave me a 6 month supply of the pill I was on. But I wouldn't really know what the rules were on more serious medication (not that the pill isn't serious, but you know what I mean).

I think it will probably depend on your GP. I'll cross my fingers for you.

I too have already checked with my doctor about this as I have to take tablets for blood pressure and the doctors advised me that it would be no problem to be supplied with 6 months worth - I would make an appointment to see your doctor and discuss it directly.

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

Filed: Other Timeline

Fi, UK docs aren't going to be able to write you a scrip that can be used over here.

I'd take the advice of huffy and munchkins and see about getting a longer supply by a face to face visit if necessary to your doc whilst you are still in the UK. Then once you are here get thee to a doc as soon as you can for scrips that will work in the US.

Having worked for the NHS for years I can tell you that technically a GP is not supposed to prescribe medications of any longer than one month if you are not intending to return to the UK, and even at that he is supposed to charge you a private prescription fee as technically you no longer qualify for NHS prescriptions.

However, not many GPs stick to this rule, and if you have a good relationship with your GP he will in all probability prescribe up to 6 months worth, depending on the nature of the meds. If it's meds which could be open to abuse, chances are he will not play ball....best to make an appointment with him to discuss.

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I know it's difficult for you to get around, but you need to go and talk to him face to face... and given your medical history you should ask for a copy of your records while you're there - it doesn't matter for someone who's generally healthy but it might be important for you in the future...

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Hi Folks,

Rebecca yeh I knew a UK script wouldn't work in the US :) I just meant I was trying to get a supply to do me until I could get sorted medically in the US to get US scripts.

Thanks for your advice everyone, I'll give it another few days then I'll book an appointment and see what can be done. Kaji totally if it can be done by just my letter it would of been easier but if I gotta go to him face to face, that's what I gotta do.

Oh and Perfect too right! I tell ya when I was trying to find out about benefits they sure did put me straight about making sure they knew not to send my DLA anymore. They were far more concerned about me letting them know when I was going than my query :lol: NHS all over huh?

Thanks again everyone

Fiona

Love hurts

When you live an ocean away

When you change your sleep schedule to catch a few more moments

When you really need to be held and you have to imagine whilst your partner describes it

When you constantly refresh the USCIS website to see if you're getting any closer

Love Loves

When it repays you with the love of your life

When God finally answered your biggest prayer

When you can live life again in the real world but still have that eternal connection

When you wake up for to the beginning of the rest of your life with the person you fought so hard for

When you love somebody that much

You'll do anything

NHS might be a pain but it beats the National Health Care we have here.

Which is NONE.

NHS beats the private healthcare system here. Dealing with the healthcare system in the US even when you have medical insurance is a nightmare.

I had a face to face with GP before I left England and got 12 months supply of birth control pills.

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

NHS might be a pain but it beats the National Health Care we have here.

Which is NONE.

NHS beats the private healthcare system here. Dealing with the healthcare system in the US even when you have medical insurance is a nightmare.

I agree dealing with the NHS is a dream compared to insurance companies and health 'prefessionals' here. Don't be fooled that just 'cos you pay for it you get better service. For most of the people I know, the service has been a whole lot worse here. It just stinks the US has such a corrupt healthcare system.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

you're telling me...I got hit with a $150 bill for seeing a doctor here for 15 minutes to ask for diuretics which I had been prescribed for 14 years by the NHS. All she did was write a prescription!

Same doctor (cos we both saw her on the same day) hit us with a bill for $80 for LOOKING at my son's toe!

They said it was because she wasn't a "preferred" provided of our health insurance, although she swears she is - us stuck in the middle with non-paid bills because I'm disputing them which will probably unfairly end up on my credit report.

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

you're telling me...I got hit with a $150 bill for seeing a doctor here for 15 minutes to ask for diuretics which I had been prescribed for 14 years by the NHS. All she did was write a prescription!

Same doctor (cos we both saw her on the same day) hit us with a bill for $80 for LOOKING at my son's toe!

They said it was because she wasn't a "preferred" provided of our health insurance, although she swears she is - us stuck in the middle with non-paid bills because I'm disputing them which will probably unfairly end up on my credit report.

:yes: I know, it makes me very sad as I deal with many who do not have any health insurance, or have been screwed. Just horrible. :(

(scuse typos ;) )

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.