14 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

If a person overstayed their tourist visa in the US but changed their name during that time and got a new passport would they still be banned from re-entering the US?

How about this: I entered the USA 8 weeks ago and last week my passport and green visa waiver slip was lost. It wasn't a definate theft, so I couldn't report it. I was due to leave on the weekend but couldn't because I have no passport. How do I get a new visa waiver form? How can I proove I came into the country 8 weeks ago and haven't been here for a year?

My passport expires in a year and I was planning on changing my name anyway, so if I was just to change my name and then have a new passport issued to my mum in england, which she'd send me, would I be able to leave the country and then re enter no questions asked? Because in order to wait for my passport, I will overstay.

Hope this makes sense. Any advice would be awesome!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

There is a number in the passport that is recorded at the border, that number should not change even if you change your name, or lost the passport. When you apply for a new passport they will still request your birth certificate for identification and will give you a new passport but with the number from your old one.

As far as the POE, and Customs officer you are just a number.

Sort of like the social security number assigned by the us government, it is assigned for life no matter if a name was changed.

More about overstay was just posted here. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33070

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

If a person overstayed their tourist visa in the US but changed their name during that time and got a new passport would they still be banned from re-entering the US?

How about this: I entered the USA 8 weeks ago and last week my passport and green visa waiver slip was lost. It wasn't a definate theft, so I couldn't report it. I was due to leave on the weekend but couldn't because I have no passport. How do I get a new visa waiver form? How can I proove I came into the country 8 weeks ago and haven't been here for a year?

My passport expires in a year and I was planning on changing my name anyway, so if I was just to change my name and then have a new passport issued to my mum in england, which she'd send me, would I be able to leave the country and then re enter no questions asked? Because in order to wait for my passport, I will overstay.

You can be sure that you would be banned from re-entering the US for at least 2, if not 10 years. What you are trying to do is illegal. Setting up a story and changing a name shows everyone that you were planning that, knowing exactly that it is illegal.

No one here will help you if you follow this track. Follow the rules like everyone else.

Any use of the brain on your side would be also awesome.

Markus - Las Vegas, NV

32821198.gif

Contact your country's nearest consulate to report the lost passport and they will be able to help you get proper documents to return home.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Contact your country's nearest consulate to report the lost passport and they will be able to help you get proper documents to return home.

If you read carefully you will see that this person didn't lose the passport. This person is looking for a story to justify an overstay and to falsify papers to avoid the hassle with visa applications and stuff related to it.

Markus - Las Vegas, NV

32821198.gif

You can be sure that you would be banned from re-entering the US for at least 2, if not 10 years. What you are trying to do is illegal. Setting up a story and changing a name shows everyone that you were planning that, knowing exactly that it is illegal.

No one here will help you if you follow this track. Follow the rules like everyone else.

Any use of the brain on your side would be also awesome.

You are wrong. I travelled here to visit a relative with NO INTENTIONS OF OVERSTAY. I do not want to live in the USA, or ever will. I go to school in England full time and have every intentions of sticking with it.

I had an unfortunate incedent where my passport was missplaced. I do not want to be here any longer. I want to go home, and want to do things the right way. I do not have any idea about the immigration laws in the USA as I have only ever entered here as a tourist, each time with my parents. I am 21 years old, and this is the first time I have come here by myself.

I really don't want to fool anyone, but in order for them to put a rush on my passport it COULD take longer than the 25 days that I have left here legally. My point is that I DO NOT WANT TO BREAK ANY LAWS. Thus my question, is there a way of doing it quicker so that I wouldn't be here illegally. I wouldn't intentionally be trying to stay here, just trying to leave with no hassle or fuss.

You completely missunderstood my question.

Thank you. I think this may be the easiest, and safest, option.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Sorry about the misunderstanding! (F) This site is mostly about immigrating to the USA and as such most replies will be from the view point regarding immigration, and not as in your case what to do about a lost passport.

The way you worded your question just set off the flags. :)

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

It is easy to prove that you were on a certain flight. I guess you still have your ticket or your e-ticket which shows also your flight from the UK to the United States. With these information the authorities can check easily if you were on a certain flight, since you have to leave personal information and information regarding your trip before you enter the plane in the country of origin.

And for the lost document, like someone else said, contact the nearest british consulate. They can help you to replace documents. But probably just in the name they know, not in a name you are going to take in the future.

Markus - Las Vegas, NV

32821198.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You will not be able to use the VWP again if you overstay

Replacement passports are dealt with in Washington.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

Please please, why do you want to do that. How long have you overstayed?? Your best bet is to get a new passport from your country's embassy and leave straight away. You might have a good chance of coming back next time but it will be a bit hard. if you overstay for long , you are doing yourself a very dangerous favour, they are strict and knows what is gooing on.

pleae leave and go home and establish some stong ties and apply for a visitors visa again, if on vwp, then am afraid u have lost that one. please, get things sorted out quick and leave.

you stand a btter chance with less overstaying days odne what you are doing right now.

someone should correct me if I am wrong.

It has happened to alot of us so please avoid it if you can.

good luck

Please please, why do you want to do that. How long have you overstayed?? Your best bet is to get a new passport from your country's embassy and leave straight away. You might have a good chance of coming back next time but it will be a bit hard. if you overstay for long , you are doing yourself a very dangerous favour, they are strict and knows what is gooing on.

pleae leave and go home and establish some stong ties and apply for a visitors visa again, if on vwp, then am afraid u have lost that one. please, get things sorted out quick and leave.

you stand a btter chance with less overstaying days odne what you are doing right now.

good luck

I haven't overstayed, yet. There is an issue with waiting for my new passport to be delivered to me. It's not going to be a problem though, as they have my passport on rush and it should be here before my time runs out. I definately don't want to overstay if I don't have to. I really did missword my question. I have decided to wait until I get home to change my name, and just sort out leaving the states legally first.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

good luck

I haven't overstayed, yet. There is an issue with waiting for my new passport to be delivered to me. It's not going to be a problem though, as they have my passport on rush and it should be here before my time runs out. I definately don't want to overstay if I don't have to. I really did missword my question. I have decided to wait until I get home to change my name, and just sort out leaving the states legally first.

How do you expect to get back home without a passport??

You wont be able to board the aircraft. You wont be able to enter GB.

Contact your embassy or consulate and get a new passport or some kind of travel document. Passports get lost all the time. You dont need to lie your way out of it..

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

good luck

How do you expect to get back home without a passport??

You wont be able to board the aircraft. You wont be able to enter GB.

Contact your embassy or consulate and get a new passport or some kind of travel document. Passports get lost all the time. You dont need to lie your way out of it..

I realise that now. My passport is on rush, like I said, and should be here before my time runs out.

Meela, That is a good idea make sure you dont overstay and i am sorry maybe I misunderstood your question here.

Yes is better to change your name when you get bck to your country and everything should be fine for you, make sure thiings are speeded.

Good luck.

Thank you so much. I hope everything works out. I respect the laws in every single country, and after reading the things on this site realise the stress and hassle people go through. I would never want to overstay my welcome or lie to get myself in. I just want to get home, legally! I really missworded my question, and I hope you guys understand that. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.