earinsound

Attorney vs. DIY

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi :D

This is my first post.

I'm currently living/working in Thailand, but I'm returning to the US in November and wish to process a marriage visa for my fiancee (we've been together 5 years).

I've contacted a few immigration attorneys who all claim 100% success rates. Am I too gullible to believe them? I'm wanting to make the process as painless as possible (the 6 month separation will be enough) and I'm seriously considering using an attorney, even though it'll cost me close to $2000.

The biggest hurdle is the fact that I am not employed in the US, but my father has volunteered to be the sole supporter (I hope that's possible).

Why have the majority of folks here do it themselves rather than hire an attorney to take care of everything? Cost? Lack of trust?

Thanks!

Brian

I-129F Sent : 2006-09-25

Request for "Original signature": resent signature early October

I-129F NOA1 : November 8, 2006

NOA2: February 1st 2007!!!!

NVC: February 10th 2007

PACKET 3 arrived: February 28, 2007

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

You know..I was this close --><-- to getting a lawyer..it was part being scared, part being clueless and some part hella busy..

But since I found this site..VJ..its really awesome..everyone here is really responsive..and the FAQs and forms are all spot on..

We have been DIY before we found VJ...but found it shortly after our approval..and well it made us a lot more confident..

consider there's tons of fees and little things to pay for (plane tickets for one!!) that you should use your money for you and your fiancee..

remember, attorneys end up having to use the same lines of communications as we do..they really cant push the gov't along..at least no more then we can..they'll call the same customer support numbers and use letter writing to contact your local senator..

I guess if you wanna have someone to blame when things get screwy..then i guess, ya get a lawyer..or if you have something in your case that's unusual (prior marriages, children..criminal backgrounds, or a country that's not on good terms with the usa)

anyhow..I checked a few lawyers and they all guranteed their work and promised all this extra assistance.

we haven't hit any major snags..other then incredibly painful time apart and the super detailed personal information you end up submittting..its just bureacracy at its worst.

cya

Filed: Timeline

Brian,

Contact William F. White, of White & White in Bangkok.

White & White Ltd.

U.S. Immigration Consultancy

New ITF Tower, 17th Floor, #3

140/36 Silom Road, Bangrak

Bangkok 10500, Thailand

Telephone 66 (0) 2231-6466

wfwlaw@aol.com

Have a consultation with him to discuss your situation. He won't make promises and after reviewing your situation with you he will tell you if he doesn't see anything in your case that should require the assistance of an attorney. An initial talk by phone will cost you nothing.

Yodrak

Hi

This is my first post.

I'm currently living/working in Thailand, but I'm returning to the US in November and wish to process a marriage visa for my fiancee (we've been together 5 years).

I've contacted a few immigration attorneys who all claim 100% success rates. Am I too gullible to believe them? I'm wanting to make the process as painless as possible (the 6 month separation will be enough) and I'm seriously considering using an attorney, even though it'll cost me close to $2000.

The biggest hurdle is the fact that I am not employed in the US, but my father has volunteered to be the sole supporter (I hope that's possible).

Why have the majority of folks here do it themselves rather than hire an attorney to take care of everything? Cost? Lack of trust?

Thanks!

Brian

Edited by Yodrak

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.