Sign in to follow this  
earinsound

Attorney vs. DIY

22 posts in this topic

Hi :D

This is my first post.

I'm currently living/working in Thailand, but I'm returning to the US in November and wish to process a marriage visa for my fiancee (we've been together 5 years).

I've contacted a few immigration attorneys who all claim 100% success rates. Am I too gullible to believe them? I'm wanting to make the process as painless as possible (the 6 month separation will be enough) and I'm seriously considering using an attorney, even though it'll cost me close to $2000.

The biggest hurdle is the fact that I am not employed in the US, but my father has volunteered to be the sole supporter (I hope that's possible).

Why have the majority of folks here do it themselves rather than hire an attorney to take care of everything? Cost? Lack of trust?

Thanks!

Brian

Hi Brian and welcome to VJ

You might also like to have a read about DCF seen as you are residing in Thailand. Not sure on their residence requirements but that shouldnt be too hard to find out.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27982&hl=thailand

Also have a read of the DCF Guide

As for your question on lawyers or DIY. We did it ourselves because 1) We had the time to do so 2) Had a very straight forward case 3) I love to research which is needed during the immigration process so as not to make mistakes. 4) Because of 1, 2 & 3, a lawyer would of been a waste of $$$$

All the best to you on your journey

Lorelle

Welcome to VJ!

I agree with Lorelle's reasons of not hiring a lawyer. My 2 friends who entered US early this year through a K1 and K3 visas did the processing and the paperworks on their own. All you have to do is to follow the instructions properly and this site provides them. Our lawyer friend told us the same idea. However, if you don't have time to do it then it is best to get a lawyer.

God bless!!! :yes:(F)

Never occurred to me to use a lawyer.

I also have a 100% success rate.

There are circumstances where no lawyercan succeed, so either they are lying, they only take on cases that are clearly approvable or they have done as many as I have. One.

I agree with the previous posts regarding the reasoning behind hiring/not hiring a lawyer. We probably would not have hired a lawyer if it weren't for the fact that my fiancee and I live together in a neutral country. This adds some complexity.

Also, it means that I can't be in the US to act as a point of contact. So it is nice to have a lawyer in the US that can act on our behalf.

We hired a lawyer but only cause our previous case had problems and we were uninformed. I have to admit the lawyer is not only expensive but they do VERY little. You will still be providing the documents and filling in forms. all they do is send it in and collect the money. Since you and you significant other have been together for 5 years you shouldn't have any trouble providing evidence of your relationship. If your father meets the financial requirements to sponsor your partner then he can co-sponsor. I am staying in Japan with my fiance and left my job in USA so when we return I too will have no job. my brother and his wife our co-sponsoring my fiance. Good luck to you in your process.

There is a middle ground. I prepared our file. I then paid $175 to have a lawyer review it. That gave me peace of mind that I had done everything correctly. It was so nice to have someone who has done many, many cases available as a resource. (This was before I found VJ.) I then filed it myself. If the process is straight forward, I save money and hassles. And if things do get messy, I have someone who I respect "on call".

Tom

Brian,

I did it myself because VisaJourney gave me all the answers, all the examples. timelines, etc. I thought about an attorney in the beginning, but VJ proved to me that it was absolutely unnecessary. If you don't have a criminal past or some really weird life situation, you can do the same thing the attorney can do and KEEP your $2,000!

Mew    0

I would suggest taking a look at the forms yourself, and determine whether or not you might have any serious roadblocks. If so, perhaps legal advice would be agood idea. If not ..... DIY!!

No matter how much you pay an attorney, you are most likely just paperwork on their desk. They don't have the same sense of urgency that you do. While YOU would probably complete your forms and mail them off as soon as you possibly could, and attorney would likely hold-off until he got down that far in his stack of work. Additionally, I've read several posts on this site of attorneys receiveing correspondence and RFE (Requests for additional Evidence), and either responding very slowly, or not at all. Granted, there are some good attorneys out there that will get the job done, most just aren't in the same hurry that you are.

Either way, congratulations on finding the love of your life, and good luck with the visa!!

Brian,

Further to my post in your duplicate thread, read this recent post.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&p=444882

Yodrak

Hi

This is my first post.

I'm currently living/working in Thailand, but I'm returning to the US in November and wish to process a marriage visa for my fiancee (we've been together 5 years).

I've contacted a few immigration attorneys who all claim 100% success rates. Am I too gullible to believe them? I'm wanting to make the process as painless as possible (the 6 month separation will be enough) and I'm seriously considering using an attorney, even though it'll cost me close to $2000.

The biggest hurdle is the fact that I am not employed in the US, but my father has volunteered to be the sole supporter (I hope that's possible).

Why have the majority of folks here do it themselves rather than hire an attorney to take care of everything? Cost? Lack of trust?

Thanks!

Brian

There are cases where lawyers have helped and some where they have ROYALLY screwed up...

Just like anything there are pros and cons to either way. I did it myself, and so have others, but it ultimately is your desicion. Look over ALL the forms and instructions...if you feel competent enough and comfortable doing them - them it's TOTALLY doable, but if you feel you need help or you like that bit of security...then spend the money.

nfs    0
There is a middle ground. I prepared our file. I then paid $175 to have a lawyer review it. That gave me peace of mind that I had done everything correctly. It was so nice to have someone who has done many, many cases available as a resource. (This was before I found VJ.) I then filed it myself. If the process is straight forward, I save money and hassles. And if things do get messy, I have someone who I respect "on call".

Tom

I would suggest taking a look at the forms yourself, and determine whether or not you might have any serious roadblocks. If so, perhaps legal advice would be agood idea. If not ..... DIY!!

No matter how much you pay an attorney, you are most likely just paperwork on their desk. They don't have the same sense of urgency that you do. While YOU would probably complete your forms and mail them off as soon as you possibly could, and attorney would likely hold-off until he got down that far in his stack of work. Additionally, I've read several posts on this site of attorneys receiveing correspondence and RFE (Requests for additional Evidence), and either responding very slowly, or not at all. Granted, there are some good attorneys out there that will get the job done, most just aren't in the same hurry that you are.

Either way, congratulations on finding the love of your life, and good luck with the visa!!

I think the "middle ground" idea is the best. That way you are largely in charge, but you have some oversight. Or else having no lawyer at all often works fine too, as long as you are willing to read all the directions and look over everything a few times.

I hired a lawyer because I was worried I would run into some problem or other that would slow the process way down or even end up costing me the visa. Lawyer's websites tend to emphasize that. But most people do end up getting a visa, sometimes sooner, sometimes later. As noted above, a lawyer is not necessarily going to consider your application as much of a priority as you would. In my case, I really wish I had done it myself. I have no idea what the lawyer actually sent in, not having received a copy, and I've been really frustrated having to wait to receive, for example, my last RFE from him, then sending the info to him and relying on him to send it off promptly. Whether he did or not, I do not know. I would MUCH rather be sending the forms myself, so I know what I sent and when!!! If you want a lawyer, just do it for the advice part.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.