oliver-chris

We want to adopt my niece from the Philippines

21 posts in this topic

I guess that could be possible cause i know someone who was adopted by his grandparents. He was able to go to the US before he reached 16. He was legally adopted, changed his surname and everything. But someone told me, you should be atleast 3 years physically attached with the subject so much so that it won't sound just like for immigration purposes which indeed the real purpose though. But try to ask a lawyer as well. just sharing my thoughts about what i know about this adoption stuff. :)

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:She has always lived with us (me and my parents)when I was still single. Her parents lived 5 minutes drive from us. I have always paid for most of her major expenses like schooling, clothing etc.

I guess if there is a will there is always a way.. all we need is the help of the expert (lawyer) :dance:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

A friend who is active in the adoption realm suggests these resources:

www.adoptivefamilies.com Facebook >>>> http://www.facebook....doptivefamilies

search Yahoo Groups for adoption+Philippines -- adoption groups are very active on Yahoo.

Joint Council on International Children's Services Facebook >>> http://www.facebook....Council?sk=info Web Page >>> http://jointcouncil.org

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

• 11 months later...

hello everyone! i was browsing and trying to get info about adoptions and found this thread, though it's a year old, i still found it very helpful. i am a US immigrant and my husband is a USC, we are planning to adopt my niece that is 3years old, when i was still in PI i raised the kid until she turned 3 without any support from her biological parents,in short i adopted her except that it's not legal, i think me and my niece's bond is strong, me and my husband are the one providing her needs now. i been dying to get her to join me and my husband here but i couldn't coz she's not my legally adopted yet. her parents has another kid(boy) which is older than her, and he(the boy) is living with his father since their parents are not married and separated. back when i was still in PI i started to get the legal custody papers since i raised the kid and planning to legally adopted her. the father(which is my brother) already signed the consent, but the mother didn't (yet), coz her birth is not registered and she don't have record in NSO and she don't have any ID or legal papers to prove her identity, and before i left PI i lost contact with her. i am just hoping that i can get my niece to join us here soon:) is anyone of u who read my post think that it is easy for us to adopt her and go through ICAB since we have a strong bond? thanks in advance for the reply:)

Time Line:

First Meeting Feb 2009

Dating Aug 14th 2010

Engaged Feb 2011

Married April 18th 2011

Sent I-130 June 27th 2011

Received NOA1 June 30th 2011

Completed NOA2 Aug 26th 2011

Paid AOS fee 12 Oct 2011

Paid IV fee 14 Oct 2011

Sent AOS/IV 26 Oct 2011

Case Complete 2 Nov 2011

Medical Exam 5 Dec 2011

USEM Interview (AP) 15 Dec 2011

Visa Approved 18 Jan 2012

Visa Received 21 Jan 2012

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Regarding the poster who said the adopted child would petition their biological parents later, this is not possible under the law unless the adoption is legally terminated. The adoption will sever the legal relationship between the child and his biological parents and siblings for immigration purposes. Thus, an adopted child cannot petition their biological parents or siblings because there is "no petitionable relationship" and the petition should be refused under INA 212(a)(5).

There was a case recently in Manila like this. One child in family was adopted by their aunt and then petitioned their biological sibling for immigration. Somehow USCIS didn't notice the adoption so the family came for interview and was informed there was no petitionable relationship.

9 FAM 40.1 N4.1-1 Biological Parents or Siblings

(CT:VISA-358; 02-28-2002)

An adopted child (as defined in INA 101(b)(1)(E)) may not confer

immigration benefits upon a natural parent or sibling unless such adoption

has been legally terminated. (See Interim Decision 3244, Matter of Li.) This

is true even where the child never received an immigration benefit based on

the adoption.

• 5 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread from 2011 is now closed to further comment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.