oliver-chris

We want to adopt my niece from the Philippines

21 posts in this topic

Hi,

My husband and I decided to adopt my 10 year old niece in the Philippines.We want to do it in 2 to 3 years from now. We want to give her a better life. Is there a part here in visa journey about adoption process? We want to know more about it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sadly, unless her natural parents are deceased, I am not at all certain that this is possible.

There was a similar thread about a year ago, and I seem to recall it not being workable - that there was [and presumably is still] no way to adopt a child whose parent's are still alive for the purposes of immigration.

Good luck, though!

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I saw a recent thread about it but cannot find it, the couple wanted do adopt a family member to give the child a better chance at life in the USA and they couldn't do any of the immigration because the parents of the child were still alive.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

we will be 5 years by the time we adopt her...I think we should consult a lawyer about adoption then, cause I thought as long as the parent wrote a consent that they are terminating all ties with the child it will be okay to adopt the child then.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Adopting close relatives is seen as a way to get around immigration process * you would have to be a USC then petition your sibling and that is a 23 year wait for where you are from. Then the sibling could come and petition children ( by that time it would be an adult child petition) so in about 40 years your niece will be able to come. If you are flush with money you can try to support her through school but remember that you have to pay for an education because F visas aren't for going to public school.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

We are thankful we can be able to sent her in a private school. With all humility money is not a problem. We can support her all the way to college.

I have no plan of getting my siblings and parents here ...my parents are old to come and work, we just want to give a child a better life and we THOUGHT it would be better if we adopt her. We don't want to get around on anything ... What I'm asking is if there is a trend here about adoption.

thank you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We are thankful we can be able to sent her in a private school. With all humility money is not a problem. We can support her all the way to college.

I have no plan of getting my siblings and parents here ...my parents are old to come and work, we just want to give a child a better life and we THOUGHT it would be better if we adopt her. We don't want to get around on anything ... What I'm asking is if there is a trend here about adoption.

thank you.

There aren't a lot of adoption threads here on VJ. There are adoption boards out there.

There are some treaties dealing with adoptions that are in play. I recall seeing some information on a Philippine government website regarding this as well as the USCIS or state.gov site.

It sounds like you've got a period of time to do some research and determine your options.

Best of luck

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Wanting to help family is natural. Immigration strives to keep the process fair. If it readily allowed you to bring family members ahead of what the alloted visa numbers are you would see newly arrived residents adopting all their family to avoid the per country limits. Who is the child with now ?

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

One black and white requirement is that the adopting parents must be married a minimum of 5 years.

:star:

It's 3 years if not divorced in a prior marriage. The thread was mine and yes , it is doable but very difficult There are many specifics, that being 2 years legal and physical custody of the child. If the niece's parents are unable to care for her per ICAB's rules then it MAY be possible to adopt. This process is full of caveats and conditions but yes, it is possible under the right circumstances.

Bob

• Married in Manila: 08/20/2010
  • I-130 Sent to lockbox: 10/01/2010
  • I-130 Received: 10/03/2010
  • NOA-1 Received: 10/04/2010
  • NOA-2 Received: 02/01/2011
  • Received NVC: 02/08/2011
  • AOS Bill Generated: 02/10/2011
  • AOS Bill Paid: 02/10/2011
  • DS 3032 Emailed: 02/10/2011
  • IV Bill Generated: 02/14/2011
  • IV Bill Paid: 02/14/2011
  • IV Packet Received @ NVC:02/22/2011
  • NVC Completed 03/08/2011
  • Interview Date Post Sputum results May 17
  • Results negative, Interview scheduled 6/13
  • Placed in A/R 06/13/2011
  • I-601 required 07/18/2011
  • I-601 filed 11/9/2011
  • I-601 approved 11/29/11
  • 2nd Sputum test ordered 12/21/11
  • 2nd Sputum Test passed 02/21/12
  • Visa Approved!! 03/15/2012
  • Visa In Hand 03/17/2012
  • POE SFO 03/24/2012

There aren't a lot of adoption threads here on VJ. There are adoption boards out there.

There are some treaties dealing with adoptions that are in play. I recall seeing some information on a Philippine government website regarding this as well as the USCIS or state.gov site.

It sounds like you've got a period of time to do some research and determine your options.

Best of luck

Thank you,I will look around,:thumbs: I just thought about visa journey since I learned tons of information here about immigration process.

Thank you for wishing us luck... We just want to give a child a better life :)

It's 3 years if not divorced in a prior marriage. The thread was mine and yes , it is doable but very difficult There are many specifics, that being 2 years legal and physical custody of the child. If the niece's parents are unable to care for her per ICAB's rules then it MAY be possible to adopt. This process is full of caveats and conditions but yes, it is possible under the right circumstances.

Bob

thank you...we have good hopes!

My thread was in "bringing family members of US citizens to America" section. The Philippines is a Hague treaty country and is thus under those rules. The ICAB Site is the Philippine controller, regulator of adoptions in the country. Like I said previously, it is possible but not likely that you'll be able to adopt.

Bob

• I-601 filed 11/9/2011
  • POE SFO 03/24/2012

You would also have to satisfy USCIS and be deemed eligible to adopt/immigrate the child on top of the ICAB's rules and prerequisites. I believe it's an I-800 that will need to be filled and passed. If you need to know what I've learned and chat, PM me if you'd like. Thanks! and best of luck to you and yours on this. We'll be able to adopt but it is very tricky. IF we do get snagged, we will still have legal custody so we can insure she'll be taken care of properly.

Bob

• I-601 filed 11/9/2011
  • POE SFO 03/24/2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I guess that could be possible cause i know someone who was adopted by his grandparents. He was able to go to the US before he reached 16. He was legally adopted, changed his surname and everything. But someone told me, you should be atleast 3 years physically attached with the subject so much so that it won't sound just like for immigration purposes which indeed the real purpose though. But try to ask a lawyer as well. just sharing my thoughts about what i know about this adoption stuff. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.