SJG

How to Organize Your Documents

22 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Good information.. Thank you for sharing..

Some other good tips for gathering and storing information:

Create a separate Gmail account that is only used for your immigration journey. Create a folder for Documents, USCIS, NVC, Relationship proof, etc.. You can scan documents and store them online so they are accessible anywhere you have internet access... You can also set up emails to this account to beep you phone with a different whistle (nice when NVC/USCIS sends an email). I did this from before getting married so I have every document collected required to get married, all the immigration forms, photos, etc.. all in PDF format and easily accessible from any computer... Make sure to have a good password :)

If you have an android phone (and I assume an Iphone would have the required apps) there are free apps you can download that will automatically save all your SMS messages to a gmail folder, any phone calls (incoming or outgoing and length) into a PHONECALL folder in your gmail account, etc. You now have an automated phone record that works even if you SO has a phone that is "pay-as-you-go". And records chats or video you do through the the google messenger also are recorded and can be stored in a separate folder in the gmail account.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Let's face it, immigration involves endless paperwork and requires a lot of patience. As you dig through piles of documents, it is only necessary to be organize and clutter-free. I would like to share some useful tips as to how I kept my sanity through proper filing and arrangement of important documents.

1. Always keep a file of all the forms you submitted, and the email notifications from NVC and/or USCIS. I print out 3 copies every time and arrange them neatly on separate folders. (One copy for me, one for my husband and a back-up copy). I also created a personal timeline in order to track down our case's progress.

2. Before my visa interview, I neatly arranged my documents using color-coded folders and clear plastic separates. I also placed labels on every folder and printed a cover page for each.

Folder A - Affidavit of Support Packet contains husband's employment certificate, tax records and W2's

Folder B - Proof of Relationship Packet contains billing statements, receipts, email correspondence, money transfers, housing arrangements, contract of lease etc.

Folder C - Wedding photos, proof of travels, family celebrations etc

download-1.jpg

Plastic Separate 1 - Appointment Letter

Plastic Separate 2 - Ds-230 & I-864 (original and photo copies)

Plastic Separate 3 - NSo Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Police Clearance

2011-07-31125300.jpg

Please note that in most US Embassies where interviews are held, the applicant and the consul are separated by a glass window with a narrow, 2-inch sloped slot - this is where you slip the documents they request to view. It is advisable to use FLEXIBLE folders instead of hard or spiral binds because they wouldn't fit.

3. If you are married to an expat whose been working outside the States, you also need to produce Proof of Domicile.

[Domicile. Place where a person has his or her principal residence. The person must intend to keep that residence for the foreseeable future. The sponsor of an immigrant must have domicile in the U.S. before the visa can be issued. This generally means that the sponsor must be living in the U.S. In certain circumstances, however one can be considered to have a domicile while temporarily living overseas.]

We requested my husband's company to issue him with an employment certificate explaining the projects he's handling in Asia and the length of his assignment. On top of my husband's Income Tax Forms and W2s, I also included Form 2555 - Foreign Earned Income. All these documents I inserted in the Affidavit of Support Folder.

4. On the day of your interview, it's always better to come in prepared and memorize important details mentioned in your forms. It's ridiculous if you would have to dig thru your documents every time you need to answer simple questions such as:

- Petitioner's full name (emphasis on the middle name)

- Place of residence in the States

- Your petitioner's employment background

- Wedding date, or the day you and your spouse first met

- If you are constantly travelling, dates when you left and arrived in diff. country, and length of stay.

It creates a positive impression if you remember these things by heart.

5. You have to remember that NOT every consul would like to view ALL your documents. In our case, the consul just asked for the wedding photos but she complimented us for coming in "extra-prepared." So yeah, it's a major plus to carry excessive amount of proof, documents and forms - than lacking.

To everyone who's scheduled for an interview, keep smiling and be charming! I hope you find this post useful and best of luck!

Great info! I have one question. Is that folder is the one called a clear book?

Money is not the root of evil. It is the Love of Money is the evil.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Let's face it, immigration involves endless paperwork and requires a lot of patience. As you dig through piles of documents, it is only necessary to be organize and clutter-free. I would like to share some useful tips as to how I kept my sanity through proper filing and arrangement of important documents.

1. Always keep a file of all the forms you submitted, and the email notifications from NVC and/or USCIS. I print out 3 copies every time and arrange them neatly on separate folders. (One copy for me, one for my husband and a back-up copy). I also created a personal timeline in order to track down our case's progress.

2. Before my visa interview, I neatly arranged my documents using color-coded folders and clear plastic separates. I also placed labels on every folder and printed a cover page for each.

Folder A - Affidavit of Support Packet contains husband's employment certificate, tax records and W2's

Folder B - Proof of Relationship Packet contains billing statements, receipts, email correspondence, money transfers, housing arrangements, contract of lease etc.

download-1.jpg

Plastic Separate 3 - NSo Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Police Clearance

2011-07-31125300.jpg

Please note that in most US Embassies where interviews are held, the applicant and the consul are separated by a glass window with a narrow, 2-inch sloped slot - this is where you slip the documents they request to view. It is advisable to use FLEXIBLE folders instead of hard or spiral binds because they wouldn't fit.

3. If you are married to an expat whose been working outside the States, you also need to produce Proof of Domicile.

[Domicile. Place where a person has his or her principal residence. The person must intend to keep that residence for the foreseeable future. The sponsor of an immigrant must have domicile in the U.S. before the visa can be issued. This generally means that the sponsor must be living in the U.S. In certain circumstances, however one can be considered to have a domicile while temporarily living overseas.]

We requested my husband's company to issue him with an employment certificate explaining the projects he's handling in Asia and the length of his assignment. On top of my husband's Income Tax Forms and W2s, I also included Form 2555 - Foreign Earned Income. All these documents I inserted in the Affidavit of Support Folder.

4. On the day of your interview, it's always better to come in prepared and memorize important details mentioned in your forms. It's ridiculous if you would have to dig thru your documents every time you need to answer simple questions such as:

- If you are constantly travelling, dates when you left and arrived in diff. country, and length of stay.

5. You have to remember that NOT every consul would like to view ALL your documents. In our case, the consul just asked for the wedding photos but she complimented us for coming in "extra-prepared." So yeah, it's a major plus to carry excessive amount of proof, documents and forms - than lacking.

To everyone who's scheduled for an interview, keep smiling and be charming! I hope you find this post useful and best of luck!

Excellent information. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you very much for the details.. i highly appreciate it :D

SERVICE CENTER : California

CONSULATE : Manila

MARRIAGE : Feb 15, 2010

I -130 SENT : April 26, 2011

NOA 1 : May 1, 2011

TOUCHED : May 5, 2011

NOA2 : August 1, 2011

Our I-130 was approved in 92 days from our NOA1 date.

CASE NUMBER ASSSIGNED : Sept. 12, 2011

EMAILED DS3032 : October 6, 2011

AOS FEE BILL PAID : October 11, 2011

IV FEE BILL PAID : October 24, 2011

NVC received AOS and IV packs = Nov. 3, 2011

NVC RESPONSE = Nov. 8, 2011 - RFE for missing proof of relationship with co-sponsor

Mailed RFE file = Nov. 9, 2011

NVC received RFE = November 14, 2011, 9:54 am, PORTSMOUTH, NH 03801

CASE CLOSED = Nov. 18, 2011 :D

MEDICAL EXAM = Dec 20-21, 2011 = PASSED!!!

INTERVIEW DATE = January 6, 2012 = APPROVED!!! ----Our interview took 250 days from our I-130 NOA1 date.

VISA PRODUCTION = January 6,2012

VISA DELIVERY = January 11, 2012

POE = Feb.18, 2012

SSN Received = Feb 25, 2012

GC received = April 5, 2012 (incorrect data entry :((, sent back April 9, 2012)

CORRECT GC RECEIVED = August 22, 2012, granted IR1 (10 year gc)

that's where our USCIS process ends for now.. will wait for the next 3-4 years what we'll do next...

9choykrk1el55.png

um4z3ia1n.png

event.png

very great i love how you put it in detail It helps me prepare better.

I havent started the process yes but in the near future ill have a better looking folder than somebody siting next to me!

:)

OUR JOURNEY
I-130
11.24.12: Sent I-130 to Phoenix Lockbox
11.30.12: Payment of $420.00 received.
11.30.12: Received e-notification sms/email
12.04.12: NOA1 received
01/18/13: NOA2 received (day approved 01.15.13)

Case Sent to Department of State National Visa Center (NVC)

NVC
01/21/13: NVC received our case
02/07/13: Assigned Case number
02/07/13: Emailed DS-3032
02/12/13: Paid AOS
02/14/13: AOS as PAID
02/21/13: Email Acceptance of DS-3032
02/22/13: Paid IV
02/25/13: IV as PAID
02/27/13: Sent AOS
03/05/13: Sent IV
03/13/13: NVC received AOS
03/14/13: Received Checklist
03/19/13: Sent in Checklist with all requested items.
04/05/13: NVC received IV
04/19/13: AOS accepted
04/05/13: IV accepted
04/20/13 Case complete
06/19/13 Interview Date!! <3 <3 <3
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
as1cHmp0g410020MDAwMTQwOGx8MDAwMTEwOGxkf
as1cJUZ0g410000MDA0NDZzfDAwMDE2NDRzfEVzd

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I love your organizational skills. I want to be like you. :innocent:

IR-1

Married: 12/29/2008

USCIS CSC

I-130 Sent : 11/05/2010

I-130 NOA1 :11/19/2010

I-130 NOA2 :05/20/2011

182 days - No RFE's

NVC

Received : 06/08/2011

DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 06/08/2011

Receive I-864 Package : 06/10/2011

Completed DS-3032 : 06/11/2011 (NVC received 06/16/2011)

Pay I-864 Bill : 06/23/2011

Pay IV Bill : 07/22/2011

Return Completed I-864 & IV : 07/25/2011

NVC received: 07/27/2011

NVC RFE: 08/09/11

NVC RFE sent/NVC Received: 08/10/2011--08/12/2011

False RFE for IV: 08/10/11

False RFE for previous RFE: 08/11/11 & 08/14/2011

NVC Reviewed IV: 08/11/2011

SIF and Case Complete : 08/19/2011

Interview Date Set: 09/30/2011

EMBASSY

Medical: 11/11/2011

Interview: 11/16/2011 *APPROVED*

Visa Received: 11/21/11 (arrived on 3rd business day)

POE: 12/02/2011

Welcome Letter & SSN Arrived: 12/12/11

2nd Welcome Letter & 10-year GC Arrived: 12/17/11

-Happily Ever After-

i think that's a clear folder - there are clear folders available in bookstores.. correct me if im wrong, OP

SERVICE CENTER : California

CONSULATE : Manila

MARRIAGE : Feb 15, 2010

I -130 SENT : April 26, 2011

NOA 1 : May 1, 2011

TOUCHED : May 5, 2011

NOA2 : August 1, 2011

Our I-130 was approved in 92 days from our NOA1 date.

CASE NUMBER ASSSIGNED : Sept. 12, 2011

EMAILED DS3032 : October 6, 2011

AOS FEE BILL PAID : October 11, 2011

IV FEE BILL PAID : October 24, 2011

NVC received AOS and IV packs = Nov. 3, 2011

NVC RESPONSE = Nov. 8, 2011 - RFE for missing proof of relationship with co-sponsor

Mailed RFE file = Nov. 9, 2011

NVC received RFE = November 14, 2011, 9:54 am, PORTSMOUTH, NH 03801

CASE CLOSED = Nov. 18, 2011 :D

MEDICAL EXAM = Dec 20-21, 2011 = PASSED!!!

INTERVIEW DATE = January 6, 2012 = APPROVED!!! ----Our interview took 250 days from our I-130 NOA1 date.

VISA PRODUCTION = January 6,2012

VISA DELIVERY = January 11, 2012

POE = Feb.18, 2012

SSN Received = Feb 25, 2012

GC received = April 5, 2012 (incorrect data entry :((, sent back April 9, 2012)

CORRECT GC RECEIVED = August 22, 2012, granted IR1 (10 year gc)

that's where our USCIS process ends for now.. will wait for the next 3-4 years what we'll do next...

9choykrk1el55.png

um4z3ia1n.png

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

download-1.jpg

2011-07-31125300.jpg

You should hire your self out to VJ. Great Job.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

You can use either a clear book, or a transparent folder.

I prefer clear books but if only transparent folder is available, my advise is to use button fasteners to hold your documents together (do not use the long plastic fastener because I've seen some that snapped!). Do not use slides too.

Edited by Sean&Jem
gh56p8.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

EXCELLENT EXPLANATION and ARRANGEMENT>>>>>>>>>BRAVOO

download-1.jpg

2011-07-31125300.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.