Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

J1 Visa holder to Marry US Citizen

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I am currently in the US on a J1 Visa (2 year residency rule does not apply) and will be marrying my US Citizen boyfriend shortly. My J1 Visa expires in 3 months.

I have been trying to work out how to apply to stay longer and am very confused about what forms and what type of visas i apply for.

Should I:

A) Apply for a Change of Non immigrant status to a K3 whilst also submitting the I 130 form


B) Apply for Permanent residence with the I 485 whilst also submitting the I 130 form.

Which of these is the best option and which we allow me to stay in the US after my J1 visa expires in 3 months? I am very confused so any help is much appreciated!!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Choice B. here is the guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Thank you. I'm still confused if I will be allowed to stay in the US after I have sent in the I 130 and I 485 forms?? And if so, will I be able to travel to other countries whilst it is being approved??

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


I'm a little ahead of you as I already got married to an US citizen and I sent my Adjustment of Status packet last week, having already received my first Notice of Action. What our fellow member said is true, you need to Adjust your status (I-130, I-485, etc) and don't forget to send the Advance Parole form so you can travel whilst the green card is pending. The Advance Parole takes about 60 days (or more) to be approved. Let me know if you have any questions...don't be long as you will need to do a medical exam (I-693) and that may be a little while too!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.