63 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I totally agree

I can understand why the IO saw a big red flag in sending one's entire salary to other people - especially when they are married. I myself come from a background where the support for extended family is highly expected, but sending the entire salary is quite strange to me. This case is not about what is right or wrong. It is not even what is legal or not. It is about whether the judgment of the IO is justifiable among the average person. I would say that IS the case. Sending the entire salary (while fulfilling marriage obligations is expected) screams like someone who doesn't want to establish life here in the US, someone who is completely detached from her married life and attached to home country. It screams that, load and clear. Now in terms of right/wrong, that would depend on the individual affected couple. If the OP is ok with supporting his wife in working for her family to the penny, that is entirely up to him and certainly not anyone's business. When it comes to legal battle, USCIS will have to prove the marriage is in fact not bona fide against all contest. The OP and his wife will likely win in court, given they have and provide enough evidence to show they are happily married. However, the IO officer, in my opinion, used a sound judgement in denying the application because the wife would seem to be detached from her marital household to the average person - even to those of us who were raised to support the extended family.

YA ALAH Bless Our Joureny To The End , Ameen

Je T'aime Till My Dying Day

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
First off let me say sorry to those who I am about to offend in what I'm going to say here. Your first mistake Scott was marrying someone from the Philippines who clearly doesn't care about helping out the husband in working for their future. Your wife is only with you to help "HER FAMILY OUT" and not to help her new family "YOU AND HER". Sure she'll do everything to make it look like she really their to be with you (cook, clean, bend over back wards to do little things you like), but in the end she is only with you to help her family. I am sure if you end up broke she would leave your #### and find someone else that could continue to support only "HER FAMILY". I can see sending 1 or maybe be 2 (would have to be damn important) pay checks a month. But her entire salary for two years is outrageous and stupid on both yours and hers part.
I agree with this...

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
I can understand why the IO saw a big red flag in sending one's entire salary to other people - especially when they are married. I myself come from a background where the support for extended family is highly expected, but sending the entire salary is quite strange to me. This case is not about what is right or wrong. It is not even what is legal or not. It is about whether the judgment of the IO is justifiable among the average person. I would say that IS the case. Sending the entire salary (while fulfilling marriage obligations is expected) screams like someone who doesn't want to establish life here in the US, someone who is completely detached from her married life and attached to home country. It screams that, load and clear. Now in terms of right/wrong, that would depend on the individual affected couple. If the OP is ok with supporting his wife in working for her family to the penny, that is entirely up to him and certainly not anyone's business. When it comes to legal battle, USCIS will have to prove the marriage is in fact not bona fide against all contest. The OP and his wife will likely win in court, given they have and provide enough evidence to show they are happily married. However, the IO officer, in my opinion, used a sound judgement in denying the application because the wife would seem to be detached from her marital household to the average person - even to those of us who were raised to support the extended family.
...and I agree with this.

I understand family loyalty within reason, but the attitude of "my money and our money belong in the Philippines first, rather than to us here" is extreme.

Someone rhetorically asked me, "How does this differ from illegal Central Americans coming to the U.S. to work so they can send all of their money to their home country?" I can't answer that.

Had my wife-to-be shown any signs of the OP's wife's behavior, I'd have kicked her shapely hindquarters straight back to Ecuador. Had my wife started this behavior after our marriage, I'd have divorced her and shipped her back just as promptly.

Edited by TBoneTX

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Read this whole sorry thread from the Effects forum:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/232940-financial-support-to-my-wifes-family-in-the-philippines/

Even other Filipinas are calling the wife's family overly dependent and lazy. See also the wide agreement that this wife's hindquarters should be kicked back to the Philippines.

Thanks for that link TBone, I knew it was not an Isolated case, i guess some need to grow some B@!!$ and stand up to them or buy the return ticket home.

Filed: Timeline

Not going to comment on the personal things, but yes I agree that the IO's decision is justifiable.

You are right, we are not here to judge other couples behavior, constructive criticism is helpful not hurtful judgments. How did the IO know that she sent all her money to Philippines in the first place?

Edited by beemer8

You are right, we are not here to judge other couples behavior, constructive criticism is helpful not hurtful judgments. How did the IO know that she sent all her money to Philippines in the first place?

Read post #10. This was a Stokes interview, it was clear from bank statement all her money was going to PI.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

• 10 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone I am needing help and don't know what my options are. Forgive me if I don't make alot of sense. I have been awake all night with worry. I recieved a letter yesturday saying that my wife Nicole's I751 application has been denied because of fraudulent marriage. This is all weird to me cause our marriage was entered into with good faith.

I had a friend tell me that they might be basing thier decision on my wife Nicole's salary she sends to her family back in Lake Taal Philippines. He said that probably in eye's of the person that did the interview they don't think we have a bona fied marriage, since Nicole is sending all her salary back home. My friend said for a bona fied marriage both husband and wife needs to show they are helping each other in paying bills, having the husband shoulder all the responsiblities is not a good wife. Ever since Nicole heard what my friend said she has locked herself up in our spare bedroom crying. I've tried everything to get her to talk to me and let me in. All I hear is Nicole praying to god for help, forgiveness if she did anyting wrong, and that she loves her bana. I just don't know what to do!!!

Hi, It has been a while since you posted this. Can you please tell us your final outcome? This might help us also. Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone I am needing help and don't know what my options are. Forgive me if I don't make alot of sense. I have been awake all night with worry. I recieved a letter yesturday saying that my wife Nicole's I751 application has been denied because of fraudulent marriage. This is all weird to me cause our marriage was entered into with good faith.

I had a friend tell me that they might be basing thier decision on my wife Nicole's salary she sends to her family back in Lake Taal Philippines. He said that probably in eye's of the person that did the interview they don't think we have a bona fied marriage, since Nicole is sending all her salary back home. My friend said for a bona fied marriage both husband and wife needs to show they are helping each other in paying bills, having the husband shoulder all the responsiblities is not a good wife. Ever since Nicole heard what my friend said she has locked herself up in our spare bedroom crying. I've tried everything to get her to talk to me and let me in. All I hear is Nicole praying to god for help, forgiveness if she did anyting wrong, and that she loves her bana. I just don't know what to do!!!

The important thing is your marriage is in good faith. save your money then hire a lawyer.

12-24-08- 129F SENT TO CSC

12-26-08- PACKAGE RECEIVED SIGNED BY: V SEMEGI

12-30-08- NOA1 SENT

12-31-08- MONEY ORDER CASHED

01-03-09- NOA1 HARDCOPY RECEIVED

01-02-09- TOUCHED

03-11-09 EMAIL APPROVAL/NOA2 WOW 71 DAYS ONLY!

03-14-09 NOA2 HARDCOPY IN MAIL

03-16-09 NVC IS WORKING ON IT.. GOT MY MNL CASE#

03-17-09 NVC FORWARDED CASE TO USEM

05-07-09 INTERVIEW FOR K1 VISA APPROVED

06-08-09 ARRIVAL AT LAX

06-22-09 APPLIED FOR SSN

06-26-09 WENT TO DMV OFFICE FOR ID

08-13-09 WEDDING DAY

11-01-09 USCIS RECEIVED MY I-485,I-765

11-06-09 NOTICE DATE/NOA1 SENT

11-12-09 I-485 TOUCHED

12-01-09 SCHEDULED BIOMETRICS

I-751 (LIFTING CONDITIONAL RESIDENT)

1-20-12 1-751 SENT TO CSC

1-21-12 CSC RECEIVED

1-23-12 NOA DATE

1-31-12 EARLY BIOMETRICS (ASC WILSHIRE) (ORIG FEB 14,2012)

Its interesting reading everyone's comment, especially with the extreme lack of empathy and insensitivity demonstrated by all. We are all brothers/sisters in the journey. The dude came with a legitimate concern and great worry, but instead of sticking to the facts of the case many are busy JUDGING HIS FAMILY??? Wow!!!.... Great job guys. Hope yall don't get RFEs.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

I would't give any different decision if I was the adjudicator. Thousands of people getting marriage and after arriving here they get a job and start sending all pay check to their home Country.It's ok to help the parents with $300 or $400 montly but more than that the person is taking advantage of the situation. Most of the couples do not own a house yet,others are still paying morgages,but their wives are sending all money they are making abroad when they work,and many of them do not work and the husband must send money to the wife's family. There are so many red flags in this kind of relationship.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

To the OP,

Start gathering all substantial evidence to prove your bonafide relationship. If you need to be in extreme personal disclosure, so be it, to help prove that your marriage is in good.

Check credit card bills or receipt of gifts that your wife bought for you and vice versa. Check all travel or activity itinerary that both of you do. Gather all documents that showed that both of you are living together.

Goodluck.

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

The topic is almost a year old, and OP hasn't logged on to VJ since he started the topic.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.